• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Newly-Built Haunted Houses?

Back to my home town. There was a large childrens hospital built there in Victorian times. The hospital was closed and the building pulled down. Tescos built a new bigger store on the site and four years ago enlarged the building.
The building work was carried out behind tall wooden and metal barriers (non see through). Several people reported as to hearing children playing on the building site. I know of at least three people who heard the sound of children laughing coming from the closed off site on a Sunday as they walked past. Needless to say when these reports were looked into there was no sign of children.

tilly50 said:
I know of at least three people who heard the sound of children laughing coming from the closed off site on a Sunday as they walked past. Needless to say when these reports were looked into there was no sign of children.
When I was a kid construction sites were like magnets to us - of course we'd run away if any adult showed up.

Greetings,

My Dad had our house built from the ground up in the first half of the 1960`s

That place was a freak show!

If there are indeed hauntings, can't they just be the land?

PEACE!
=^..^=217

Over years I've read of several British murder cases where the bodies were never found, though building sites known to the murderers were searched. Examples are Susie Lamplugh and Danielle Jones.

(At one site, in fact, the body of a missing girl was found who hadn't been suspected murdered even though her worried family had reported her missing, and her killer was later imprisoned.)

If any house was bound to be haunted by an unquiet spirit, it's one built over the shallow grave of a murder victim. If rumour and superstition do their job, I'd expect to be hearing ghost stories from these areas in time.

Hi all, first time poster, long time lurker :)

I've recently been trying to research an old house that used to stand in Wadsley, Sheffield, that was demolished in the early 80s to make way for a new cul-de-sac. My parents live in one of these houses, and when I once stayed there, I had an experience of what seemed like the spirit of a little girl appearing in the middle of the night who seemed displeased that I was there. Since my sister and myself have now left the nest, my old bedroom has become my Dads office, so on visits, my sisters old room has become the guest room. I've also had a similair experience at a friends house whilst I was housesitting for her, but I'll save that story for another time :)

On a recent visit from my parents, we were talking of things fortean, and my Mum mentioned that she believes thier house is haunted, as she has seen a little girl standing at the foot of their bed in the night before.

Hence me starting to look a bit further into the history of the original house, which I believe was built in the 15th century, My main goal would be to find a layout of that house to see what part of the house was were my parents house now sits. My guess would be a nursery, but would like to find out for sure.

I've never really quite understood why spirits should be bound by location in the first place.

Perhaps because they're believed to be relics of human consciousness, and humans become attached to places?

jimv1 said:
I've never really quite understood why spirits should be bound by location in the first place.

If spooks are supposed to be able to roam far and wide and free and to slide like giddy sky-otters down the night-winds, maybe being closely tied to the environs of one's decaying corpse is a kind of Hell?

If the theory of portals is correct, then these sites would be where ghosts would be most commonly seen. Perhaps there are localities were a doorway exists irrespective of what is built on it.

I have this bizarre image of ghosts waiting, perhaps clutching a permit, to pass, one at a time, through the equivalent of customs.

With reference to the apparantly conflicting ideas that spirits are either fixed to a locale or else they are free to roam, could this be something to do with the idea that a human has a spirit and a soul that are separate componants? I think I read somewhere that shamanic beliefs hold that a person has a number of spirit parts and recently reading about Paracelsus, he proposed that a person was composed of a body, a soul and a spirit. Might the spirit be held in location and the soul be free moving?

Also relating to recent posts, might the idea of preserving the body be due to the desire to have control of the spirit/soul of the deceased to compel it to do the bidding of whoever had the body? Think of the implications with regard to Ancient Eygpt and medical museums.

'I've never really quite understood why spirits should be bound by location in the first place.'
I suppose ghosts are largely nostalgic things.
I always wanted to be a ghost. Quite a common desire, i suppose.

I funnily enough just finished reading the story The Shunned House by Lovecraft.

Nothing to add to the discussion, just a nice co-inky-dink!

Sorry to quote something from 08.

If any house was bound to be haunted by an unquiet spirit, it's one built over the shallow grave of a murder victim. If rumour and superstition do their job, I'd expect to be hearing ghost stories from these areas in time.

After Fred West's murders came out, I talked to several builders who used to use the local pub, who said West had been employed by their firm - two of them claimed to have worked with him. (This was Wiltshire/Gloucestershire). They worked on houses, and speculated that West had hidden some bodies on sites that were now new housing development. But there were a lot of stories like that going around at the time. I do believe it's quite possible that West took cash-in-hand building jobs.

When I first moved into this town, the house we lived in for a year did have an oppressive atmosphere, although I wonder if much of that was to do with the fact that abuse happened there (to myself and my sister, and non-familial). I do clearly remember the first time we saw the house, when it was standing empty, and the smell; not unpleasant, but quite strong. As the house wasn't centrally heated, I think now it may have been slightly damp, maybe mingled with wallpaper paste and paint or something. Any-one whose been in an empty house probably knows what I mean.

The house is probably the lightest I've ever lived in. The windows were large, and the front room had wide windows at either end; it was also south-facing, and should have been bright.
I read in a different thread about places having a thick, almost smoky air in them, and this house was like that. It was almost as if the lights were always tinged with brown. The family pretty much fell apart there. It was a dreadful year, though again I wonder if I was so scared and depressed that it influenced the way I saw the place.

Anyhoo, when I'd settled at the local school, a girl and I decided to do a 'project' on ghosts, which really involved just asking other kids, and all the stories I heard were about hauntings in fairly new houses (this was the 70's, so from about the 40's to the 70's - our house was built in the 60's, I think). There were few if any 'old' buildings within the perambulating distance of ten year old's, even though we did get about quite a lot.

Up until then, I'd associated ghost stories with castles, old pubs, ruins, cottages, stately homes, etc, but here were stories coming from bland, not very old estates. I can't vouch for the truth, although many years later I found some of the stories online, so the kids didn't just fabricate them off the top of their heads.

It seems that the age of a building does not matter. The new (a few years old) hospital already has ghost stories attached, although I am sure all hospitals do, new or old. My local for a long time was an estate pub built in the 70's, that allegedly had two ghosts, one of a regular who died (never saw anything) and an enormous mutant spider that apparently grew to Goliath tarantula proportions by drinking beer slops. :shock:

It does seem to me that ghost stories come from newer houses/developments pretty regularly.

That was their most popular lager, so I bet it did. :D
That spider legend was well known, and the pub was, despite its relative newness, a bit of a pit: a really odd shape with huge beams that no-one could get up to to dust, loads of nooks and crannies. There probably were big spiders there.

Came across this a while back. Look at the reply under Woodgrange Park Cemetery.

Here's the relevant text from the earlier-cited MIA webpage (salvaged from the Wayback Machine) ...

First - Here's the entry for Woodgrange Park Cemetery:

In 2000, there was a lively correspondence about Woodgrange Park Cemetery in Manor Park [East London] and some of the headstones to be used on the Emmerdale Farm [ TV soap] set in Yorkshire, prepararatory to the sale of part of of the cemetery for housing. The London Evening Standard carried a full page report and pictures on the work of exhumation. The pictures are of a piles of discarded coffins and a large JCB at work as men sift through the soil for bones. The Graves of East London civilians killed during the worst raids in the Blitz are being bulldozed today to make way for flats. ...the remains of about 15,000 people are being dug up and bagged in plastic bin-liners. .....Screens were erected around the graves but residents of flats overlooking the site said they have been shocked to see skeletons unearthed by mechanical diggers . . According to Council records the graves date back to the 1890s but during the height of the Blitza a 20ft deep pit was dug to take the thousands of casualties. Most of the graves were unmarked, but details of the dead were entered in a burial register. Newham Council contacted 21 families and their relatives were exhumed and re-buried in part of the cemetery still in use. The 27-acre cemetery is privately owned. The deal to sell part of the site for residential development was done after Newham agreed planning permission for 120 two-bedroom flats.

Here are the two later comments relevant to this thread:

The Friends of Woodgrange Cemetery would like to add the following statement;
"The memorial stones used in Emmerdale were not sold ...they were taken off by the cemetery owners ready to be broken up and put in a skip ..but the chairman of the friends of Woodgrange cemetery knew the people from Emmerdale were creating a cemetery for the programme and they agreed that they would come down from yorkshire wrap each stone individually and transport them back to yorkshire .but if anyone came forward at a later date and wanted their memorial stone they would bring it back.The stones were not bought no money what so ever changed hands they were just saved from being broken up. All of those buried in the squares used for housing have been re-intered within the cemetery ....mostly in mass graves ..but those that have been in touch with us or the cemetery since the begining and have wanted their relative buried in a seperate grave have their wish ..The fight was going on a very long time to stop the housing ,to the House of Lords and back in fact , but without success"

Patricia Langley writes to Derelict London: "A friend of mine moved into one of the new flats that were built on
the site of the part-cleared cemetery. He told me that even though his vegetable garden was very fertile
(anything would grow in it) he always seemed to always have bad luck and depression, not like Chris at
all. He decided to move out when poltergeist-like activity began breaking out in his home, and his baby
was injured by a mug flying through the air and hitting him."

SOURCE: https://web.archive.org/web/20090513030207/http://www.derelictlondon.com/cemetery.htm

Thanks form posting this EG. Very Interesting.

I have many long since passed relatives buried there.

Many years ago I took my father there in an attempt to try and find his Grandmother, Grandfather and some of his great uncles and aunts, but the place was so overgrown it was an impossible task.

Funny to think that my long dead bloodline could possibly now be haunting the living. :D

Maybe Titch can explain but my understanding was that English burial sites could not be moved for a hundred years after the final body was placed in it.

Is this still true?

Maybe Titch can explain but my understanding was that English burial sites could not be moved for a hundred years after the final body was placed in it.

Is this still true?
As I understand it in the U.K. a grave can be dug up and the remains reinterred somewhere else after one hundred years, it’s on an individual basis. Not sure how this fits with what happened in the quoted news article.

As I understand it in the U.K. a grave can be dug up and the remains reinterred somewhere else after one hundred years, it’s on an individual basis. Not sure how this fits with what happened in the quoted news article.

Just interested to see if we have any "old Indian burial ground" similarities in the UK. (Sorry for the term but all know the cliche).

Just interested to see if we have any "old Indian burial ground" similarities in the UK. (Sorry for the term but all know the cliche).
I have my knowledge from looking into buying churches. Looked at one where there was a grave quite close to the front door but the magic 100 was coming soon. The front garden had supposedly had the graves removed.

I have my knowledge from looking into buying churches. Looked at one where there was a grave quite close to the front door but the magic 100 was coming soon. The front garden had supposedly had the graves removed.

I understand the charm of living in an old chapel.

Grey Lady

Location: Bury St Edmunds - St Saviour's Hospital (ruins), and Tesco store, Fornham Road
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: 1954 (hospital), and early - mid 2000s (Tesco)
Further Comments: This grey lady was seen within the ruined hospital several times during the mid twentieth century. More recently, poltergeist-like activity has been reported at the adjoining Tesco store's canteen, with some people speculating that the Grey Lady may have returned

Not a house but a supermarket, I don't suppose the ghosts really care.

One of the lesser hauntings , the rest of the town is heaving with them..:D

The house I grew up in was built in the early nineties and my parents were the first residents. Some of the things that happened there:

The sound of footsteps outside the front window when no-one was there, usually around midnight-ish (could have been water dripping?). I used to get a bad feeling by the front window and in the kitchen and in my sister's room. It wasn't just me, other members of the household mentioned the same bad feelings as did visitors.

The bathroom light would often turn itself on and off (could have been an electrical fault)

Certain doors would open themselves (possibly something wrong with the doors)

Sometimes there would be a strong smell of nail varnish between mine and my sisters bedrooms when neither of us had been using any.

My parents both had a guitar each that they used to keep in their bedroom, one by each side of the bed. Sometimes you could hear one of the guitars playing in the bedroom when no-one was there, and this was actual tuneful music, not the cat walking over the guitar and playing it by accident or anything like that.

Sometimes when everyone in the house had gone upstairs to bed the computer chair would be heard scraping in the kitchen followed by the sound of the computer being switched on.

I understand the charm of living in an old chapel.
The broadcaster 'Whispering Bob' Harris was interviewed for the Observer Magazine years ago on the subject of his purchase of a rural chapel and its conversion to a home.

He reckoned strangers would walk in and say 'I was christened right over there, where the font was!'
As if it were still a public building.

Grey Lady

Location: Bury St Edmunds - St Saviour's Hospital (ruins), and Tesco store, Fornham Road
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: 1954 (hospital), and early - mid 2000s (Tesco)
Further Comments: This grey lady was seen within the ruined hospital several times during the mid twentieth century. More recently, poltergeist-like activity has been reported at the adjoining Tesco store's canteen, with some people speculating that the Grey Lady may have returned

Not a house but a supermarket, I don't suppose the ghosts really care.

One of the lesser hauntings , the rest of the town is heaving with them..:D
@Carl Grove

Your neck of the woods Carl.

@Carl Grove

Your neck of the woods Carl.
So it is. Moreover I pass the 13th C. hospital every week on my way into Tesco! As you hint, there are a lot of haunting phenomena in Bury. The school where I worked as cashier for school mealtimes was in an area near where the Abbey Gardens are and the Grey Lady is seen. The cook at the school told me that one morning when she came in to unlock the kitchen, all the taps in the many metal sinks there had been opened to maximum! Must have wasted a lot of water.

The house in which I spent my teenage years, in a village in South Lincolnshire, was built for my parents in 1979, on the site of an old cottage on the village green. They had bought the plot - I don't know when the cottage was knocked down - and had the house built when my dad was promoted to Assistant Bank Manager in the nearby small town. The house is nothing remarkable - an L-shaped all-in-one kitchen/dining/living room downstairs, an integral single garage, and 4 bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs; a very similar design to the house we had previously lived in.

There were no windows on the upstairs landing so it always tended to be quite dark. As you came up the stairs, the rooms to the right were my sister's room and the spare back bedroom. From early on, my sister expressed unease about her room. She never experienced anything, as far as I know (well, aside from the radio that turned on in the middle of the night and scared her off "Baker Street" for ever), but she found it to have a slightly uncomfortable atmosphere, and she felt much the same about the back bedroom. Her bedroom was over the garage and tended to be cold, so I can understand her feeling about that one, but the back bedroom was over the scullery (where the oil-fired boiler was) and so warmer, although it had a north-facing window. I vaguely remember discussing it one day and her theorising that her feelings were due to something left over from the cottage that had stood there before.

FWIW, I used to get transplanted to the back bedroom if my grandfather and uncle visited - my bedroom was big enough to take two single beds where the back one wasn't - and I never got any kind of heebie-jeebie feelings whilst sleeping in there. I've also slept in my sister's old room many times and didn't pick up on her purported atmosphere either. But it was always cold!

Back