News From China

Analis

Justified & Ancient
I know you're being flippant but identifying 'fake news' sources is quite a concern these days, as is trying to guess the trustworthiness of news sources. I'm of the opinion that facts and truth do exist, and that some outlets have different editorial ethics when it comes to prioritizing the value of truth. In short, Russia Today, the Mail, Xinhua, etc don't really give a fuck if they know they're lying, whereas FT, NYT, Guardian, WP, BBC have more integrity.
The joke of the day ! ...

GNC

King-Sized Canary
The joke of the day ! ...
I suppose if your diet of news is confuse-o-tastic Russian propaganda, then that would make you laugh. But the poisonings in the UK recently make me very concerned about totalitarian regimes' idea of presenting their idea of facts when they can flatly deny their subterfuge and get away with it because they're the bully boys of the world increasing their power day by day.

A knife-wielding attacker has stabbed 10 children outside a primary school in southern China before killing himself, according to police.

Two of the children were seriously hurt in the attack in Hainan province but their injuries are not life-threatening, reports said.

They were walking out of the school in Haikou when the man attacked them.

China tightened security at schools after a spate of similar attacks about five years ago.

Six boys and four girls were targeted by the attacker, who was identified only as a 45-year-old man. State media reported that no motive had been established for the attack.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35688606
Another knife attack at a school.

A man wielding a knife killed seven children and injured a dozen others outside a middle school in central China on Friday, authorities said, in one of the worst attacks at a Chinese school in recent years.

The incident took place around 6.10om local time (10.10pm GMT) officials said, as students were being dismissed at the Mizhi County No. 3 Middle School in Shaanxi province, about 805km (500 miles) southwest of Beijing.

The police said they had taken into custody a suspect, a man with the surname Zhao, born in 1990. They said the man was a graduate of the middle school and that he had told police he was seeking revenge because he was bullied during his time there.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/wor...dren-killed-in-chinese-knife-attack-1.3476909

Is Peppa a capitalist pig?

A popular British cartoon has been removed from one of China's most popular social media platforms, with state media saying that the character is being used subversively.

Social media users in the country noticed video clips of the cartoon were being removed on Saturday, and on Monday, state newspaper Global Times said that the #PeppaPig hashtag had been removed from the Douyin video website, while searches for "Peppa Pig" on the site produced no results.

Many papers also note that the platform appears to have added "Peppa Pig" to its list of blacklisted content.

The Peppa Pig cartoon is hugely popular in China, but despite being targeted at a pre-school audience, it has found mass appeal with Chinese adults in recent months.

Its characters have become a common feature in memes, including sexually suggestive content.

"After Peppa Pig started to take on this subversive hue and subsequently go viral, some experts said the popularity of the cartoon demonstrates the social psychology of hunting for novelty and spoofing, which could potentially hamper positive societal morale," Global Times said.

Beijing appears keen to quell subversive enthusiasm for the cartoon by trying to promote friendly domestic pig cartoons instead.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-43953432

In China they're getting tough on jaywalkers.

China escalates the war on jaywalkers with automated shouting laser/squirtguns tied to motion-sensors

Chinese authorities hate jaywalkers and they've decided to use technology to end the practice; in Shenzhen, jaywalkers are identified with facial recognition and sent threatening texts while their faces are displayed on oversized nearby LED screens; in Daye, Hubei province, shouting robotic squirt-guns target and soak anyone who attempts to walk into an intersection against the lights.

https://boingboing.net/2018/04/20/tear-gas-next.html

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Muslims are forced to eat pork and drink alcohol as punishment in China's Islamic 're-education' camps, former inmates reveal
At a glance this is somewhat misleading, being more about ethnic persecution of the Ughyrs to suppress separatism in Xinjiang than about religious persecution of muslims in general (there are many Hui muslims who are ethnically Chinese all over China who presumably are getting on just fine)

If they are forced to eat pork & drink alcohol then thats wrong but its worth noting that several of China's neighbours in the stans have very strong anti-islamist laws, even banning beards (on men).

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I want to be a bit careful of extrapolating from a small pool of knowledge, but I am tempted to say something about knife attacks on children in China being indicative of more than just individual psychosis. Within certain classes and locales in China there are enormous pressures on some people while many of the traditional coping/support mechanisms and structures having been crumbling for half a century or more. The result? Some people just mentally snap. And an attack on innocent/defenceless infants can only be seen as a literal and metaphorical assault on society: a desire to outrage decency and strike the public where it most hurts. There are obviously parallels with the 'school shooter' phenomenon in the U.S., but also many points of variance.

Anyway, it's unspeakably awful, but not the first of its kind--as they article explains:

China knife attack injures kindergarten children

At least 14 children have been injured in a knife attack at a kindergarten in Chongqing, south-west China.

Police say a 39-year-old woman carrying a kitchen knife entered the school in Banan district on Friday morning, as the children were in the playground.

The motive for the attack is unclear, though some reports on social media say the woman had a grievance against the government.

The woman, whose surname was given as Liu, was arrested at the scene.

Continued:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-45987984
As this other article explains of an earlier attack, the motive seems to be to 'take revenge on society'.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...hiji-woman-knife-injured-latest-a8602111.html

More odd news from China though I suspect some crazed employers here would also like to micro-manage workers lives.

A company in China has come under fire for fining employees if they don't walk at least 180,000 steps a month, it's reported.

According to Information Times, employees at an unnamed real estate firm in the southern city of Guangzhou have been fined 0.01 yuan (0.1 cents; 0.1 pence) for every step that they fail to make when trying to reach their target. One employee, 'Little C', told the paper that frequent overtime made it difficult for staff to walk at least 6,000 steps a day outside of work hours.

"I understand that the company wants to encourage us to get more exercise," she said, "but I don't even have enough time to sleep because I need to take walks to meet the target."

Liu Fengmao, a representative from a local law firm, says that the company has no legal grounds for tracking staff members' steps as a measure of performance, and that such a workplace rule could create further complications for the employer. Mr Liu says that staff could potentially claim that walking outside of the office constitutes as overtime, or that a walking injury was a workplace incident.

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-46388447

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Taking an average pace length as an arbitrary 2 feet, allowing for some both longer & shorter, that works out to about 68 miles a month, over 2 miles a day. Halve that if you take a pace as 1 ft to allow for shuffling along in office, shops, underground etc.

Sounds like a ploy to pay people less. I notice they're estate agents. Lovely people.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
More odd news from China though I suspect some crazed employers here would also like to micro-manage workers lives.

A company in China has come under fire for fining employees if they don't walk at least 180,000 steps a month, it's reported.

According to Information Times, employees at an unnamed real estate firm in the southern city of Guangzhou have been fined 0.01 yuan (0.1 cents; 0.1 pence) for every step that they fail to make when trying to reach their target. One employee, 'Little C', told the paper that frequent overtime made it difficult for staff to walk at least 6,000 steps a day outside of work hours.

"I understand that the company wants to encourage us to get more exercise," she said, "but I don't even have enough time to sleep because I need to take walks to meet the target."

Liu Fengmao, a representative from a local law firm, says that the company has no legal grounds for tracking staff members' steps as a measure of performance, and that such a workplace rule could create further complications for the employer. Mr Liu says that staff could potentially claim that walking outside of the office constitutes as overtime, or that a walking injury was a workplace incident.

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-46388447

Maybe I'm missing something, but... how does the company know, are they forcing their employees to wear fitness tracker things? (And would they fine an employee for not wearing one?) Micromanaging indeed.

Maybe I'm missing something, but... how does the company know, are they forcing their employees to wear fitness tracker things? (And would they fine an employee for not wearing one?) Micromanaging indeed.

And
Striking is illegal in China and with many needing their job, workers pretty much have toe the line however outrageous the demands made by an employer.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I couldn't have come up with a better real-life metaphor for public life in contemporary China than this:

Hong Kong (CNN) — More than 200 runners have been disqualified from the Shenzhen half marathon after widespread cheating was uncovered following the race on November 25, Chinese state-run media Xinhua said.
About 16,000 people were estimated to take part in the race on Sunday, just one of more than 1,000 marathons being held across the country in 2018 alone.
But just days later it was discovered that 258 runners had cheated during the annual event, with some taking shortcuts while others hired people to run for them.

Continued:
https://edition-m.cnn.com/2018/11/29/asia/shenzhen-marathon-cheating-intl/index.html?r=https://edition.cnn.com/

5,000 years of civilisation, but morality, manners and tradition stifled in installments since 1949.

Notice the reporting comes from Hong Kong; I fear for the future there.

Striking is illegal in China and with many needing their job, workers pretty much have toe the line however outrageous the demands made by an employer.
And here is another case.

BEIJING (Reuters) - Chinese police have arrested two trade union officials after they helped workers try to set up a union, a source told Reuters on Friday, the latest detentions in a nationwide crackdown on labor activists.

China’s latest round of labor activism began this year when a company called Jasic International, a welding machinery manufacturer in the southern city of Huizhou, fired some workers for attempting to set up a union. The sacked workers staged weeks of protests, drawing in support from activists. The protests sparked detentions by the authorities, first of the protest organizers, then of student activists and most recently of supporters on top university campuses.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-labour-idUSKCN1NZ0SP

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I want to be a bit careful of extrapolating from a small pool of knowledge, but I am tempted to say something about knife attacks on children in China being indicative of more than just individual psychosis. Within certain classes and locales in China there are enormous pressures on some people while many of the traditional coping/support mechanisms and structures having been crumbling for half a century or more. The result? Some people just mentally snap. And an attack on innocent/defenceless infants can only be seen as a literal and metaphorical assault on society: a desire to outrage decency and strike the public where it most hurts. There are obviously parallels with the 'school shooter' phenomenon in the U.S., but also many points of variance.

Anyway, it's unspeakably awful, but not the first of its kind--as they article explains:

China knife attack injures kindergarten children
At least 14 children have been injured in a knife attack at a kindergarten in Chongqing, south-west China.​
Police say a 39-year-old woman carrying a kitchen knife entered the school in Banan district on Friday morning, as the children were in the playground.​
The motive for the attack is unclear, though some reports on social media say the woman had a grievance against the government.​
The woman, whose surname was given as Liu, was arrested at the scene.​
Continued:​
As this other article explains of an earlier attack, the motive seems to be to 'take revenge on society'.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...hiji-woman-knife-injured-latest-a8602111.html
Another.

This is definitely a phenomenon to be noted--for the reasons I sketched above.

Twenty primary school students in Beijing have been injured in an attack at their school by a hammer-wielding man, say officials in China.
The attack took place at around 11:00 local time (03:00 GMT) said Beijing's Xicheng district in a statement on social media site Weibo.
Three children were reported to be seriously injured but stable.
The alleged attacker has been arrested. It is not clear what motive the suspect might have had.
Some reports say he was a former maintenance worker at the school.
The attack took place at the Beijing No.1 Affiliated Elementary School of Xuanwu Normal School, according to state-media outlet the Global Times.
Source:

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
The website/social media thingy Reddit has just had an investment of $150 million from chinese tech company Tencent.
This company Tencent are basically the tech arm of big brother in China, handling the online censorship and such. I'm sure it will be fine.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
The website/social media thingy Reddit has just had an investment of $150 million from chinese tech company Tencent.
This company Tencent are basically the tech arm of big brother in China, handling the online censorship and such. I'm sure it will be fine.
It's just an investment for now so Reddit is still Reddit for now not that I don't think China wouldn't try and censor things they don't like stuff like news that makes them look bad or human rights abuse passed and present.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Hmmm. Won't that kill it stone dead?

Parents protest about school food, get brutalised by police.

One of China's most prestigious high schools has been the target of public anger after piles of expired mouldy food were found in its canteen kitchen.

Mouldy bread, rotting meat and seafood were discovered at the Chengdu No 7 Experimental High School. One parent told the BBC of his horror and disgust, saying the food was "stinky and disgusting" and compared it to pig slop. The school has now apologised, saying it is deeply "embarrassed". Food safety scandals are not uncommon in China and they often leave authorities scrambling to defuse public outrage. ...

Videos that emerged on social media on Wednesday showed hundreds of parents angrily protesting outside the school gates. Police were seen using brute force against them, with one video showing a group of policemen slamming a man against the ground. In another video, parents can be seen clutching their eyes in pain, with some local news outlets saying police used pepper spray against them. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-47565092

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Parents protest about school food, get brutalised by police.

One of China's most prestigious high schools has been the target of public anger after piles of expired mouldy food were found in its canteen kitchen.

Mouldy bread, rotting meat and seafood were discovered at the Chengdu No 7 Experimental High School. One parent told the BBC of his horror and disgust, saying the food was "stinky and disgusting" and compared it to pig slop. The school has now apologised, saying it is deeply "embarrassed". Food safety scandals are not uncommon in China and they often leave authorities scrambling to defuse public outrage. ...

Videos that emerged on social media on Wednesday showed hundreds of parents angrily protesting outside the school gates. Police were seen using brute force against them, with one video showing a group of policemen slamming a man against the ground. In another video, parents can be seen clutching their eyes in pain, with some local news outlets saying police used pepper spray against them. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-47565092
Are these the same schools that collect school boy urine so they can give it to manufacturers for the preparation of the 'virgin egg' delicacy I wonder ..

王泥喜法介

Junior Acolyte
Since @王泥喜法介 is from Chengdu, perhaps he has more details on the story.
Yes, it is. And I have never imagined that my hometown could gain much attention in this manner. Even though I love this city, I have to say this story is so freaky and cannot be tolerated.

Firstly, I have to make a discrimination on this high school. The full name of the high school in this story is Wenjiang Campus, the 7th High School while the most prestigious high school in Chengdu is called the 7th High School. Therefore, that campus in the story is not that reputable one exactly.

As for this story, I just select the most reliable details. Initially, the catalyst for this story is dramatic. A few weeks ago, a boy in that high school suffered from dental ulcer, and his parents took him to the hospital. The diagnosis seemed strange because it claimed that the boy had taken in spoiled food. The boy's parents assumed that the only possibility of spoiled food was the canteen of the high school.

To investigate this matter, the father of the boy pretended to look for a job in the canteen of that high school and found the truth shortly afterwards, as well as what had been reported by BBC and other channels.

This breaking new caused a huge response immediately. Parents of students of that high school assembled in front of the gate of that campus, and the raw materials in the canteen were preserved and taken to quality-testing institution.

However, the result was so disappointed. For one thing, some parents were detained. For another, just a few hours ago, the report was released. According to the so-called report, there was nothing wrong with those raw materials. Since, many news regarding this story had been deleted by a unstoppable power, you know what I mean.

That is all. God bless Chengdu.