• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nick Taylor & Loch Lomond

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Interesting read, but is the 20-year old footage all that it seemed?

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO NICK TAYLOR?
In 1997 Edinburgh photo journalist Nick Taylor was featured on an episode of the now defunct U.S. paranormal series, 'Strange Universe', where he claimed to have photographed and filmed not one, but two British Lake Monsters, in Loch Lomond, Scotland and Llyn Aled, Wales. Both pieces of footage were quite remarkable in their professional clarity and for the natural and animal like movements of the creatures captured both photographically and on film.

I remember seeing the episode when it first aired and again years later on youtube, and thinking that it was possibly the most palpable, clear and convincing evidence of plesiosaurid animals in British waters.

Here was evidence that could be studied, and used as a valid research tool for learning about the behavioural habits and the habitation of these animals in our waterlogged isles. However, much to my consternation and dismay, not only were the photographs and film footage never released for academic study, but they also disappeared from youtube and other paranormal websites altogether.
http://beastsofbritain.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/whatever-happened-to-nick-taylor.html

Interesting read, but is the 20-year old footage all that it seemed?

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO NICK TAYLOR?

http://beastsofbritain.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/whatever-happened-to-nick-taylor.html

This is a great piece of journalism but the plesosaur-in-British-lakes pet fancy has just become an exercise in flogging a dead (water) horse.

I don't think there is anyone left standing who seriously believes that there could be a relict dinosaur in Loch Ness - and by extension any of the lakes and Lochs of the British Isles. I mean. apart from anything else a reptile would have to keep coming up for air to breathe and hence would be seen on a much more regular basis.

It is notable that the real experts - the people who have spent much of their lives on, or nearby the shores of Loch Ness looking keeping an eye out the beastie -have all become sceptics - Dick Raynor, Adrian Shine...and now Steve Feltham, who has been living in a converted mobile library on the Loch's shores for 25+ years has come out and said that Nessie is most likely a...sturgeon/catfish of some kind.

So maybe in Iceland, but not in the UK - alas.

As for the vanishing Nick Taylor. Well this reminds me very much of the mini-hullabaloo around `Bownessie` the monster of Lake Windermere that surfaced around about 2010. There was some local and national publicity around this (and I got a bit excited, because my parents live nearby) - and much of it centred round a cell phone snap taken by some young guy - one resembling the Taylor pics in fact - but likewise the guy promptly became unavailable for comment and couldn't be traced.

It seems fairly obvious what had happened: it was a jolly jape that others took too seriously, so the culprit fled the scene. So, once again: move on, there's nothing to see here.... but good luck to that blogger who seems to have some journalistic flair.

I'm sure I remember a "Loch Lomond Monster" being mentioned in an old 50's monster pic. May have been Beast from 20,000 Fathoms.

Just checked imdb.com and it was that movie

When Prof Nesbitt is being interviewed in the hospital shortly after the start of the movie, he is being told that sea monsters do not exist and the interviewer mentions Loch Lomond as an example. He obviously means the Loch Ness monster. Given that, he is further erroneous in stating that it had never been photographed, as one of the most famous photos of "Nessie" was taken in the 1930s.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045546/goofs?ref_=tttrv_sa_1

The sole tangible lead mentioned in the OP's linked story was the contact with Dr. Kitchener, who stated:

- his opinion of the Loch Lomond (music video related ... ) footage was of a dead sheep;
- he'd found it suspicious that the object had been filmed moving left-to-right (apparently from the same vantage point) multiple times;
- he'd seen what he took to be a fishing line pulling the object; and ..
- he'd stated all this to Taylor(?) (and / or whoever else had submitted the footage), only to be told they were going to include it in the video anyway.

All this points in the direction of a hoax (or maybe a hopefully realistic scenario done for the sake of the music video).

A past hoax that went nowhere could serve as a reasonable motive for removing previously posted materials and fading away. The originator / owner of the footage seems to have done just that.

Above and beyond these points, there's the major problem of the confusion over which recovered footage / photos may or may not have been the images Taylor submitted to Kitchener, plus the confusion over which lake was involved / pictured.

The only mystery I'm seeing here (so far ... ) is the mystery of why anyone would believe there's any substantive evidence of something mysterious to be found and recovered.

SIDE NOTE: I suspect the only constructive way forward would be to try and identify the music video (if it ever saw the light of day ... ) and the band. 'Nick Taylor' is a common name, and the video seems to be the only reference point that might help vector anyone in to the relevant Taylor.

On a related note ...

It seems all tourist-oriented descriptions of Scottish lochs tell readers that reports of a monster in Loch X have been noted for centuries.

Those I've found that are describing Loch Lomond only mention the Taylor sighting / video.

This leads me to ask:

What is the history of 'monster' sightings / reports involving Loch Lomond?

To date I've found only one citation of a specific pre-1997 sighting:

Known as 'Lomie' there have been a number of reported sightings of Nessie's southern cousin. One example was in 1968 on the 7th of July when Mrs Jean Rivans and her family of Garnethill, Glasgow reported that they saw something large with humps swimming about 200 yards from the shore on the east side of the loch. She was so concerned that she reported it to the police in nearby Dumbarton.

SOURCE: http://www.lochnesssightings.com/index.asp?pageid=543488

Back