• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Night Of The Androids

SkepticalX

Ephemeral Spectre
I have shared this experience online from time to time but never in this forum. Not sure how truly Fortean it is, but it has puzzled me for 45 years.

It was the summer of 1973 and I was eighteen at the time. My cousin Tony and I were out late on a Friday night and we decided to get a six-pack of beer, sit on the front steps of the nearby elementary school, and quench our teenage, summertime thirst. We hadn't been there very long when we both heard the rumble of a very loud car approaching. As it came into view, we saw that it was a 1959 Cadillac convertible (the one with the huge fins). It was moving no more than about 10 miles an hour and it was apparent that the car had no muffler. We watched it as it passed, wondering why such an unusual, old car would be cruising through our neighborhood after midnight. The car disappeared up the street, however, and we soon turned our attention to other things.

After a while, we got tired of sitting so my cousin and I got up from the school steps and decided to walk. We rounded the side of the school building and found ourselves on a dark side street with no street lights and few houses. We hadn't gone very far when, again, we heard the sound of that loud engine. About a quarter of a mile up the street, a pair of headlights swung toward us. Both my cousin and I froze.

The side of the street on which we’d been walking was wooded so we slowly edged back into the tree line and waited. The car approached and, as it slowly passed us, we could see it contained a man driving, a woman next to him in the front passenger seat, and a small boy in the back seat. The street was dark but their faces were illuminated by the glow of the dashboard lights. My cousin and I agreed afterwards that none of the three moved the entire time we had them in sight. They said nothing, heads never moved, facial expressions didn't change - they were absolutely like manikins. The Cadillac disappeared down the street and we never saw it again.

Being teenagers out late, this freaked us out a bit. We decided that we’d had enough for one night so we headed for home. As we rounded the block, a police car approached us. The car stopped and the officer asked us what we were doing out so late. Then he asked us if we'd seen anything unusual. Of course, at this point, we spilled our whole story. He calmly explained that the car contained a family of bicycle thieves. Somewhat relieved, we continued home.

After a bit, I thought it seemed awfully convenient that the police officer pulled up when he did to offer a prosaic explanation for what had been a very weird experience. You have to wonder what kind of parent would take their kid out for a night of larceny. Yes, there are some really dysfunctional families out there but this just seemed too bizarre. It only occurred to me later that we had seen no bicycles in the car. The trunks on those Caddies are huge but I don't recall that the trunk lid was even ajar (at least not obviously so). So, if they were bicycle thieves, they must not have had any luck.

To this day, I remember how eerie it was to see these motionless people driving down that dark street. If they were looking for bikes, don't you think they would have been scanning yards to see if some kid left one on the front lawn? Instead, all three of those people sat bolt-upright, looking straight ahead. You would at least expect the kid to be moving around but, as long as we had them in sight, he never did.

My cousin and I still discuss the incident from time to time and we still don't quite know what to make of it.

Question: Didn't you get a look at the Cadillac's occupants the first time you saw it? If you did - were they the same trio you saw the second time?

Some comments ...

The trunk on a '59 Caddy is plenty big enough to swallow a bike - especially if the spare tire is removed and / or one is loading a kid's bike.

The stoic demeanor of the occupants is consistent with the neutral / oblivious appearance adopted for an effective 'getaway'.

The most curious thing about you story is the suggestion that thieves would be on the prowl in a muffler-less car whose noise would only draw attention.

I find the police officer odd - or rather, his explanation; seems too convienient, somehow. As if he just appeared just to tell you that. "Nothing to see here, move along" type of thing.

And the description of the people and their car doesn't really sound much like bicycle thieves (not that I really know what your typical bicycle thieves do look like, but you know).

I was going to ask, what made you and your friend want to hide when you heard the car the second time, but then I thought about how I get rather unsettled when I hear a car approaching in the dark, so - same reason?

Great account Skepticalx.

Not in anyway shape or form familiar with a Cadillac and it's dashboard lights but you must have been very close to the car to see the kid in the back as well?

How old was the kid?

House/ bike thieves often drive around just looking for easy targets before actually committing a theft, the police man might have been completely right. Also families involved in drugs may involve their kids too. At the very least they ain't going to be to concerned at what time junior gets to bed.

Is it possible the family spotted you and over did the "play it cool, we're being watched" act?

I don't know that we took particular notice of the occupants of the car the first time we saw it. We were just puzzled by this large, loud car that was lumbering up the street in front of us. When we saw the car the second time, our thought was to get a good view of it without being seen, so we retreated into the treeline. Even so, we were probably no more than 20 feet from the side of the road. After all this time, I don't have a clear mental image of what the occupants looked like - just emotionless faces in the faint glow of dashboard lights. The boy in the back might have been anywhere from 8-10 years old. I never got the impression they saw us.

RMMotorCity 2015_174_Cadillac_1959_Series 62_Convertible_59F127640_Overall.jpg

In retrospect, it seemed terribly convenient that the police officer stopped and provided us with a tidy, prosaic explanation for what we had seen. Maybe they were the world's most inept bicycle thieves but it still nags at me that something about that car and those people just wasn't right.

I'm fairly sure I've heard a similar story before. Is this the first time you've told it, SkepticalX?
I'm wondering if others have experienced the same events?

My thoughts on your great post SkepticalX : what popped into my head was the notion it may have been an early testing of some kind of remote-control driving, and the oddly still 'people' were in fact mannequins, perhaps placed there so a cursory glance would have reassured anyone passing by that it was being driven by a person, rather than having a car driving around with no-one on board which may have causd alarm. But you and your cousin purposefully set to watch it in detail and picked up immediately the strangeness of the occupants?

Can you give us an idea of the geographical location where this happened? I am asking because a quick search online tells me that
"In 1960, Ohio State University's Communication and Control Systems Laboratory launched a project to develop driverless cars which were activated by electronic devices imbedded in the roadway" [wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_self-driving_cars#1960s] but what I'm thinking of isn't really autonomous car-related but of remotely-controlled cars, the automobile version of pilotless drones.

My thoughts on your great post SkepticalX : what popped into my head was the notion it may have been an early testing of some kind of remote-control driving, and the oddly still 'people' were in fact mannequins, perhaps placed there so a cursory glance would have reassured anyone passing by that it was being driven by a person, rather than having a car driving around with no-one on board which may have causd alarm. But you and your cousin purposefully set to watch it in detail and picked up immediately the strangeness of the occupants?

Can you give us an idea of the geographical location where this happened? I am asking because a quick search online tells me that
"In 1960, Ohio State University's Communication and Control Systems Laboratory launched a project to develop driverless cars which were activated by electronic devices imbedded in the roadway" [wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_self-driving_cars#1960s] but what I'm thinking of isn't really autonomous car-related but of remotely-controlled cars, the automobile version of pilotless drones.

That sounds a bit unlikely - would you test an automated/driverless system with a vintage car with a blown exhaust which makes a racket?

I find the police officer odd - or rather, his explanation; seems too convienient, somehow. As if he just appeared just to tell you that. "Nothing to see here, move along" type of thing.

I dunno .. some police are pretty thick. A few years back when I was half working, half security -ising at a local shop because of the drug kid problem customers on our road, the 'yoof' all legged it after I told them the police were on the way. This would be about the same time Yith was asking me why I was 'hanging out in a shed' with them :rcard: .. anyway, one copper was watching our CCTV while the other was chatting to a middle aged bloke who was a customer .. the copper was confiding in him all sorts of stuff he shouldn't have been involving the apprehension plans for these kids afterwards. I had to tell him afterwards that I'd often seen this middle aged customer smoking spliffs with the same kids in the bus stop up the road, he used to score off them in fact .. you should have seen the copper's face drop lol.

That sounds a bit unlikely - would you test an automated/driverless system with a vintage car with a blown exhaust which makes a racket?

Hmmmm ... Now that the subject of non-human occupants has emerged, along with the exhaust noise issue ...

Could it have been a prank? Put mannequins in a car whose noise would attract attention, then hide someone out of sight to steer and work the pedals. That would seem a lot more plausible than testing a remote-control or automated self-driving system, especially in the 1973 timeframe.

... To this day, I remember how eerie it was to see these motionless people driving down that dark street. ...

They may have simply been in pain ... If the exhaust was unmuffled, a Caddy V8 would be much louder inside the car than it seemed outside. Also, a completely unmuffled engine would be vibrating everything inside the car to mind-numbing effect.

In the early 1980's I blew out the muffler on my diesel VW Rabbit, while driving it some miles to and from a local university. At circa 3 times the compression of that old Caddy's V8, the raw diesel exhaust noise was deafening, and the vibrations it induced in the car's structure were literally teeth-rattling in intensity. I'm sure anyone witnessing me drive by would have seen me sitting bolt upright and 'clenched' in all senses.

Does this sound to anyone else a lot like a MIB story, except one watched from a distance? The big vintage car, the mannequin-like occupants, a convenient policeman explaining what you saw. The only bit that doesn't fit is the child.

...Can you give us an idea of the geographical location where this happened? I am asking because a quick search online tells me that

Oddly enough, this happened in Akron, Ohio, a couple hours north of Ohio State. But I agree a Caddy with no muffler seems an unlikely vehicle choice for such an experiment.

Last edited:
Does this sound to anyone else a lot like a MIB story, except one watched from a distance? The big vintage car, the mannequin-like occupants, a convenient policeman explaining what you saw. The only bit that doesn't fit is the child.

That had occurred to me as well, Taras. It was almost as though they were trying hard to look human but not quite succeeding. To Enola's point, it may have been a thief's way of trying to look "inconspicuous" - but the idea of doing that late at night in a noisy car seems almost absurd.

Oddly enough, this occurred in Akron, Ohio, a couple hours north of Ohio State. But I agree a Caddy with no muffler seems an unlikely vehicle choice for such an experiment.

A 14-year-old full-sized GM 'boat' would actually be a reasonable choice for the sort of bulky equipment one would have had to use circa 1973 to prototype a remote control / self-driving car. Much of the functionality would have been achieved only with mechanical or electro-mechanical means, and however much electronic gear was used for control would have been quite bulky by today's standards.

It's the noise factor that stands out as a red flag for me. If it was a 'real' family, the exhaust fault could have been incidental, happening during the course of their trip (like it happened to me as described above). If it was a deliberate setup (experiment; prank) the noise would be weird unless there was an intent to draw attention.

That had occurred to me as well, Taras. It was almost as though they were trying hard to look human but not quite succeeding. To Enola's point, it may have been a thief's way of trying to look "inconspicuous" - but the idea of doing that late at night in a noisy car seems almost absurd.

People in human suits. :nods: Most definitely.

And without a real person in the drivers seat in case the remote control doesn't work?

My first thoughts about the coppers were that they gave an unthreatening cover-story to two young people, so as not to scare them, but that actually they knew something really dodgy was happening and that's how come they actually asked if you had seen something unusual.

Absolutely no idea what dodgy thing manikins in a big old noisy car would be up to though.

I don't know that we took particular notice of the occupants of the car the first time we saw it. We were just puzzled by this large, loud car that was lumbering up the street in front of us. When we saw the car the second time, our thought was to get a good view of it without being seen, so we retreated into the treeline. Even so, we were probably no more than 20 feet from the side of the road. After all this time, I don't have a clear mental image of what the occupants looked like - just emotionless faces in the faint glow of dashboard lights. The boy in the back might have been anywhere from 8-10 years old. I never got the impression they saw us.

View attachment 12972

In retrospect, it seemed terribly convenient that the police officer stopped and provided us with a tidy, prosaic explanation for what we had seen. Maybe they were the world's most inept bicycle thieves but it still nags at me that something about that car and those people just wasn't right.

What color was it, and did it have hubcaps?

Did you notice if the police car was a current or older model?

Another aspect of this incident that strikes me as potentially significant concerns the police officer being in the neighborhood (above and beyond the oddities you'd already mentioned).

More specifically - why did the officer indicate familiarity with the people in the loud Cadillac?

Perhaps it was based on something that had just happened.

If the officer was in the immediate area after midnight one might well expect him to pull over the noisy car and give the driver a verbal warning for disturbing the peace (whatever), if not a formal written citation. Excessive noise is a great excuse for pulling someone over to check them out.

If the officer had been strictly enforcing the law that night, there might conceivably be documentary evidence (a citation for excessive noise).

If the officer had never directly observed or intercepted the noisy Cadillac you and your friend observed he would have had no basis for the bicycle thieves claim except his interpretation of your story and mentally matching the described car / occupants to something from memory. In this latter case, he may have been mistaken - i.e., referring to someone else with a big noisy car he happened to know about.

I have a picture in my mind of a tired father driving his road weary family around a strange town in the middle of the night looking for their hotel or guesthouse. They're exhausted from the journey and from pitching themsleves against the noise from the exhaust.

Meanwhile, Betty from down the road rings the cops to say that a bike has been stolen and others ring to complain about the strange car making loud noises. The police put 2 + 2 together and send out a patrol car.

Meanwile, two slightly inebbriated teenagers are spooked by the silent occupants of the car, from their hiding place in the bushes. The police car stops and talks to them, probably checking to see if they have a stolen bike with them. (There's no mention of them getting into trouble for smelling of beer so maybe the cop wasn't that engaged.)

Regardless of the explanation, it sounds like a wonderfully creepy and odd event. It feels familiar, as if I've seen a movie where a black cadillac cruises the streets late at night.

Both Ringo and Mytho refer to a sense of familiarity with this account (and I concur that it is a good one). I'm going to add my voice to theirs - I have a weird sense of deja-entendu, myself.

What color was it, and did it have hubcaps?

Did you notice if the police car was a current or older model?

I answer carefully here because I'm not sure if my brain is filling in gaps in my memory or not. I seem to recall that the Cadillac was red. As for the hubcaps, frankly, I don't remember. The police car was pretty typical of the style used by the Akron police at the time - a big American sedan.

Enola - I do recall that the police car approached us slowly - no flashing lights or anything. Being typical teenagers, we were initially apprehensive but, when he asked, "So, you boys see anything unusual tonight?", we relaxed and opened up to him. Once we told our story, he didn't miss a beat with providing us with the bike thieves explanation. It would be interesting to see if there was ever a citation issued but I'm not sure if 45-year-old traffic records still exist.

Ringo - at the time of the incident, our neighborhood was nowhere near any hotels or even any major highways. I do buy the idea that some other person in the neighborhood called the police to report a noise suspicious car and the patrol car was sent in response. The officer only interest in us seemed to be in learning what we had seen. After that, he sent us on our way with our promise we would go straight home.

Both Ringo and Mytho refer to a sense of familiarity with this account (and I concur that it is a good one). I'm going to add my voice to theirs - I have a weird sense of deja-entendu, myself.

In an IHTM in the FT mag a few years ago there was an account of a car seen on a country road that had four occupants, with the inside light on, all staring straight ahead and motionless, thereby freaking out the witness. Maybe it's just something some folks like to do to put the wind up people?

Back