• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Night Of The Lepus

Sure I mentioned it many years ago on here about a massive hare I briefly saw. Driving down a country lane either New Forest or West Country, drive past five bar gate that was open, saw huge hare out the corner of my eye, by the time I'd reversed back it had gone. Definately a hare, bigger ears and a more angular face. Used to watch them in the Spring when I was younger, sit still they would come right up to you if you did'nt move.

Sure I mentioned it many years ago on here about a massive hare I briefly saw. Driving down a country lane either New Forest or West Country, drive past five bar gate that was open, saw huge hare out the corner of my eye, by the time I'd reversed back it had gone. Definately a hare, bigger ears and a more angular face. Used to watch them in the Spring when I was younger, sit still they would come right up to you if you did'nt move.
You sure it wasn't General Woundwort?

A hare the size of a deer seen in 1976 in Dorset.

A pound to a pinch of shit it was a muntjac:

Muntjac%202%20%28c%29%20Amy%20Lewis.jpg

One of the most common things that people say concerning munties is that they're not much bigger than a large hare.

maximus otter

Soooo cute! No doubt, quite tasty too...
Me and eating deer don't get on (their revenge on me, I suspect).

A few years ago I was entertained at a super-swanky Michelin-starred restaurant in Italy for work. The first course was roe deer steak tartare - the next two days were spent in the bathroom which later resembled the scene of a horror film. When I got home I had to have my eyes tested by my optician who sent me to the hospital, and the two women at the dinner were both tested months later for cancers as a result of lymphatic systems going into overdrive. All the result of a nasty little fella called toxoplasmosis - from the roe deer. The parasite can get into your eyes and cause blindness. As it was, it just gave me two of the most unpleasant days of my life!

Me and eating deer don't get on (their revenge on me, I suspect).

A few years ago I was entertained at a super-swanky Michelin-starred restaurant in Italy for work. The first course was roe deer steak tartare - the next two days were spent in the bathroom which later resembled the scene of a horror film. When I got home I had to have my eyes tested by my optician who sent me to the hospital, and the two women at the dinner were both tested months later for cancers as a result of lymphatic systems going into overdrive. All the result of a nasty little fella called toxoplasmosis - from the roe deer. The parasite can get into your eyes and cause blindness. As it was, it just gave me two of the most unpleasant days of my life!
Anything 'tartare' is definitely to be avoided, yes. Yikes.

...a nasty little fella called toxoplasmosis - from the roe deer.

That’s a new one on me. l’d heard of toxoplasmosis, but always in connection with cats. A quick Google suggests that - even if contracted from venison - good ol’ Tibbles was the source:

“...field study in Northeast Ohio, Ballash and colleagues found that more than 50 percent of 444 deer and 200 cats tested positive for toxoplasma. Deer are most likely to be infected in areas with abundant free-roaming cat populations.

The cat-deer-toxoplasma connection is yet another reason that all cats should be kept indoors. It is unlikely that indoor cats will eat infected mice or other small mammals, so their risk of infection is very low.”

https://www.farmanddairy.com/columns/beware-of-toxoplasmosis-in-venison/302189.html

maximus otter

That’s a new one on me. l’d heard of toxoplasmosis, but always in connection with cats. A quick Google suggests that - even if contracted from venison - good ol’ Tibbles was the source:

“...field study in Northeast Ohio, Ballash and colleagues found that more than 50 percent of 444 deer and 200 cats tested positive for toxoplasma. Deer are most likely to be infected in areas with abundant free-roaming cat populations.

The cat-deer-toxoplasma connection is yet another reason that all cats should be kept indoors. It is unlikely that indoor cats will eat infected mice or other small mammals, so their risk of infection is very low.”

https://www.farmanddairy.com/columns/beware-of-toxoplasmosis-in-venison/302189.html

maximus otter

I reckon that both cats and deer catch this disease from farmers.

I think Lordmongrove was punning.
Quite so. My bad.

The film was beyond scary. Imagine flesh-eating killer rabbits grown to gigantic size. Nightmares are made of this stuff. I'll never look at bunny rabbits as cute again!

Back