• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Night Terrors & A Haunted Girl

Maak

Fresh Blood
I have a few experiences to tell of high strangeness, the following one I have told many times through the years since but this is the first time I've put it to the page. So please excuse me if it sounds contrived or more like a story, the facts as I recall them are all here but I must admit I do want to try and convey a little drama in the telling because, well I do love ghost stories and the like.

I briefly dated this girl many years ago, for this account I shall refer to her as Sarah. We had a passing affair and were not destined to be together very long at all. One thing I will never forget happened when she stayed over on the last night though.

Sarah told me she was having a lot of sleepless nights due to night terrors and was generally exhausted. I could relate to this because I have suffered a number of sleep disorders myself, including night terrors, sleep paralysis and sleep apnea. I believe it was largely due to the irregular hours I kept at times in my life, out late partying and sleeping during the day, Oh for the joys of being a student.

Sarah's experiences however were mostly not like mine, I can't recall the experiences she described to me it's a long time ago now, only that a recurring theme was a black cat, I think she said it was evil or at least very scary, it's probably a pretty common motif in night terrors.

That last night she stayed over we retired fairly early, I put some music on and we chatted for awhile before falling asleep in my bed which was just a mattress on the floor.(student life!)

During the night I was awoken by Sarah talking, I had no reason to think she was talking in her sleep so I thought she must be talking to me. I turned round and pushed myself up to face her. She appeared to be out of the bed and kneeling beside it, looking down, the light from the stereo illuminated her face.

Initially I thought she must have decided to get up and go home and was just saying goodbye... Only she had a beard! Her hair seemed identical, long, black, straight, wiry with a few strands of grey, her features sharp, cheekbones angular, but she had a beard! and there were strands of grey in the beard.

It was at that point she spoke again. It shocked me because her voice didn't come from where I expected it. I looked down to where her voice came from and there still lying beside me, face up but with her eyes closed was Sarah.

I looked back at the figure kneeling beside the bed and it was still there, still looking down and now I realized it was looking at Sarah. I was unnerved and stayed stock still staring at the figure thinking, is he real? or an uncanny configuration of shadows, if he is real then what the hell was he doing here? How had he entered my flat? My room? Just why was he there?

Sarah spoke again, she sounded like she was having a casual conversation, mundane considering, her words were "So that's the ingredient then is it" Again I looked back at the kneeling figure, it looked a lot like her but male.

My next thoughts were, well I'm going to have to confront this person and find out what on earth they were doing here. I stared at him long while, perhaps 3 or 4 minutes and then I made the decision to talk to him.

At the very moment I started to form my words his eyes flicked onto me, wide and intense but not malign or evil, just surprised and then, he just vanished. Completely gone and I was now just looking at the wall behind where he had been.

I sat up fully and looked at Sarah, she was fast asleep and had stopped talking. I waited for a while sitting there trying to understand what had just happened. I soon grew tired, lay back down and fell asleep again.

Later, once again Sarah woke me talking and I remember thinking, Oh! he's back. There was no threatening feeling to his presence though, so I just lay there half awake as she continued to talk until I fell back to sleep.

In the morning, I didn't know how to tell her what I'd seen or that she had been talking to some kind of specter in her sleep so I thought I'd broach the subject by telling her she had just been talking in her sleep. She responded sarcastically with disbelief so I dropped it immediately. After that she didn't come round again, unrelated though.

I told a few friends about the incident and one of them ended up sharing a flat with her soon after. A few months after the event I visited them at the flat.

We were in the living room when my friend asked me if I had told her what had happened that night. I said no, I was concerned about telling her partly because of her night terrors, I didn't want to give her potentially a supernatural cause to worry about and partly her reaction in the morning made me think she wouldn't believe me anyway.

It was to late to hide it from her though, she wanted to know what we where talking about. So I told her what had happened. After my account she looked at me and said "My ex-boyfriend used to see him, but he could only see a blurry cloud by the bed in the shape of a man."

That was enough for me, the hair on the back of my neck stood up and I was truly spooked. In my mind she had just confirmed that I had experienced a genuine paranormal event. Prior to her saying that, I could at least put it down to a waking dream, the kind of hallucination you get when you wake up in the night and look around the room, your eyes playing tricks seeing colours, faces or shapes, and just coincidentally her talking in her sleep but it really was uncanny.

I questioned her about her family and whether she had a brother or if her dad had the same long black hair as her but she said no, no one she could think of fitted the description departed or not.

So I have no idea who or what it was that used to visit her in her sleep, maybe she knows now!

This was about 24 or 25 years ago, I don't know where she is now and I don't live in the same town anymore but I am still in contact with my friend and maybe if I asked him, if he remembers he should be able to verify the part of the story he witnessed.

I'm not really looking for an explanation, I've had many years to think about it, It could have been one of many things including a sleepy hallucination and she could have just made it up about her ex. Or it could be any number of supernatural things if they exist, a ghost, a guardian angel, a projection of herself, a visiting spirit, a demon... Who knows, I do believe it was paranormal and it's not far removed from my other experience.

Very, VERY creepy!

Could she have had a deceased twin that perhaps she didn't even know about? That would explain that similar looks.

I don't know, It's possible, there could be any number of explanations for what happened. Unfortunately I only questioned her about it once, she could have remembered or realized something relevant at a later time. At the time the experience itself wasn't scary or creepy, just extremely odd. There was no sense of an evil or oppressive presence, it was just like she was talking to a friend.

Back