• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nightmare Of Eternal Descent

This isn't quite the same thing, but might fit the subject anyway.

When I was around 10 or so, at a guess, I had an incredibly weird experience. In hindsight, I'd been reading a few too many ACC short stories, in particular his ramblings about parallel universes with infinite possible variations.... anyway, I was laying on my back, staring into the blue sky, when I felt a truly nauseating sense of vertigo. For no apparent reason, the idea came into my head that if gravity was somehow reversed in the tiny area around me, there was nothing whatsoever between me and infinity. (Did I mention I was a slightly 'odd' child? :oops: )
Now, what shocked me the most was that I never even considered such other fantasies as alien abduction/attack by giant subterranean worms/creatures of the night outside of my (admittedly vivid) imagination, and was never paralysed by fear of any other sci-fi scenarios coming to pass. My geeky knowledge of physics was also more than enough to prove that random gravity reversal on a planetary surface was infantile nonsense.
Yet, I could NOT shake the feeling of profound discomfort, bordering on fear, that resulted from gazing straight into a clear blue sky. I found myself clutching tufts of grass in sweating palms, until I was almost compelled to go and sit under a tree. (cos, you know, I could grab a branch on the way up, or something.... :roll: )

But that's not the weirdest/dumbest thing about the whole episode. Even now, over 2 decades later, I can't lie gazing up into a clear sky without my pulse rate soaring, my palms sweating, and a sickening knot forming in my stomach. It now happens on clear nights, too. If I'm chilling outdoors with other people, I have to either sit up or lie on my front, because I still can't control my reaction to it.

EDIT: I should add, I've never ever experienced a dream involving any kind of reverse falling (regular falling, yes, loads) or anything else that would've 'rewired' my subconscious in this way.

As a child I used to have a dream about falling away from the earth into the darkness of space.

Not a fun experience, was it. This tumbling endlessness is a horror beyond imagining, except in dreams. Hence a nightmare. Forever and ever and ever and ever.

graylien said:
I do have a horribly depressive personality though, so I guess to me the idea that I could suddenly 'dissolve' into the endless void is quite an appealing one. To someone with a more healthy sense of ego and personality, I dare say these kinds of sudden experiences of infinity could be absolutely terrifying.)

Funnily enough, I would be of the opposite view. I'm quite upbeat and optimistic, and I like the thought of just dissolving into the cosmos, like sugar in tea, so much so that when I finally shuffle from this mortal coil, I'd like to be buried in a field without a coffin and just become part of the earth.

Every entry in this thread is absolutely mind-blowing.

Also, RyoHazuki and EnolaGaia - you both sound like absolutely amazing kids!

:)
Agreed. Here's hoping we get more from them here. The topic seems to have tapped into a common theme among many members.

I'm consulting a counsellor next week to get a professional take on my own weirdness. My friends are too conclusive. They seem to want a tidy all-encompassing conclusion as to what it is.
"Just a dream"
"Natural for your age - hormonal change is responsible"
"Subconscious fear"
"LOL"

I want the definitive "you've been infiltrated by visitors from another planet" response. Which is why I'm willing to pay top dollar for a diagnosis ... I'm typing in the dark here.

I had something similar. Not a dream but a thought that what if death is just whiteness and nothingness except whiteness going on forever but you are conscious and trapped in this whiteness and this is all there is, forever and ever and ever without being able to "die". It is terrifying but a thought that comes back to me often perhaps because it is the human condition to scare oneself. This would be my idea of hell though.

rasputin said:
I had something similar. Not a dream but a thought that what if death is just whiteness and nothingness except whiteness going on forever but you are conscious and trapped in this whiteness and this is all there is, forever and ever and ever without being able to "die". It is terrifying but a thought that comes back to me

You may, or may not, enjoy reading 'The Jaunt' by Stephen King, from the Skeleton Crew short story compilation. It doesn't concern death, but involves a similar kind of concept to what you describe.

rasputin said:
often perhaps because it is the human condition to scare oneself.

The fact that children, and some young adults, compulsively do this makes me believe that it's an integral part of the natural human psyche. As children, how many of us used to lie in bed actively looking for terrifying faces in the curtain/wallpaper patterns knowing full well it would stop us sleeping, or enter a pitch-black room while mentally rifling through all the horror imagery we'd ever seen?
(or was that just me?) :? :)

RyoHazuki said:
rasputin said:
I had something similar. Not a dream but a thought that what if death is just whiteness and nothingness except whiteness going on forever but you are conscious and trapped in this whiteness and this is all there is, forever and ever and ever without being able to "die". It is terrifying but a thought that comes back to me

You may, or may not, enjoy reading 'The Jaunt' by Stephen King, from the Skeleton Crew short story compilation. It doesn't concern death, but involves a similar kind of concept to what you describe.

rasputin said:
often perhaps because it is the human condition to scare oneself.

The fact that children, and some young adults, compulsively do this makes me believe that it's an integral part of the natural human psyche. As children, how many of us used to lie in bed actively looking for terrifying faces in the curtain/wallpaper patterns knowing full well it would stop us sleeping, or enter a pitch-black room while mentally rifling through all the horror imagery we'd ever seen?
(or was that just me?) :? :)

Thank you for the recommendation. I will check it out.

Funnily enough tonight, quite out of the blue, my 6 year old son said to me "Mummy, does space become darker and darker and go on and on forever". I don't think he got a glimpse at this thread (hope not, don't won't to scare him) but I thought it was quite a coincidence that he asked that question just after I had read this post, especially as he doesn't talk about space very much (it's mostly Mario and Minecraft ;) ).

RyoHazuki said:
But that's not the weirdest/dumbest thing about the whole episode. Even now, over 2 decades later, I can't lie gazing up into a clear sky without my pulse rate soaring, my palms sweating, and a sickening knot forming in my stomach. It now happens on clear nights, too. If I'm chilling outdoors with other people, I have to either sit up or lie on my front, because I still can't control my reaction to it.

I feel I should point out the 'people who just disappear' thread. Maybe that's why people just vanish into thin air; their little patch of gravity reverses and they fall into space forever :shock:

What would outer space look like to the unenhanced human eye?
The astronauts who have travelled farthest behind the dark side of the spheres report that the firmament is revealed in a most profound way, while in sunlight they see no stars. Would it depend on one's relative vicinity and position in relation to light emanating and light reflecting objects?

Would it appear inky black and void like this scene from 2001?
poole%20struggling.jpg

Or would it look more like this?
http://media.skysurvey.org/interactive360/index.html

This is an interesting thread and it reminds me of an extremely vivid dream I had in the past couple years. I experienced a duality. I was ME in this time, AND I was a 16 year old boy living in New Orleans in the year 2043. I woke up with a jolt, convinced I'd just experienced a connection with myself in a future life. The future name was fresh in my mind. It leaves me wondering. :?:

RyoHazuki said:

This is one of my favorite horror stories of all time. It's absolutely brilliant, terrifying, and short, to boot. I'm not scared of ghosts, evil clowns, serial killers, and all that junk, but this is a story about "awe" in the original sense of the word. Just becoming aware of infinity and the mind's inability to grasp it. True, chilling horror and madness. I wish there were more stories like this.

Back on topic, one of my worst nightmares, which occasionally haunts me, is that all the light in the world is gradually dimming, dimming, into a thick, inky, impenetrable darkness. I become frantic, turning on lights, lighting matches, but all of them are swallowed up in the sea of black. I've woken up from this dream sweating and breathing hard. Goddamn, just writing about it is disturbing.

Old_Shoe said:
This is an interesting thread and it reminds me of an extremely vivid dream I had in the past couple years. I experienced a duality. I was ME in this time, AND I was a 16 year old boy living in New Orleans in the year 2043. I woke up with a jolt, convinced I'd just experienced a connection with myself in a future life. The future name was fresh in my mind. It leaves me wondering. :?:

Whoa that's...

I wrote a short story many years ago after an experience with a ouija board. It takes place in the year 2043 and involves a future "self" of mine making contact with a "present" self of mine via a ouija board. The future self is a male however I am a female right now.

The kicker is I wrote it while living in New Orleans, though the ouija board thing happened years earlier while I was 16.

I become frantic, turning on lights, lighting matches, but all of them are swallowed up in the sea of black. I've woken up from this dream sweating and breathing hard. Goddamn, just writing about it is disturbing.

Reading that is very disturbing, too!

It takes place in the year 2043 and involves a future "self" of mine making contact with a "present" self of mine via a ouija board. The future self is a male however I am a female right now.

The kicker is I wrote it while living in New Orleans...

:shock:

Yet, I could NOT shake the feeling of profound discomfort, bordering on fear, that resulted from gazing straight into a clear blue sky.

I get something very similar when I look at maps, particularly if they're quite detailed, like a terrifying rush of vertigo like I'm going to tumble headlong into it.

I'm not sure what I think is going to happen after that as I know there isn't really any ground 'in there'... maybe that is part of what makes it even scarier. :shock:

That reminds me of a book by Bill Bryson, where he described reading a map while walking. He came to a very steep downward slope and nearly killed himself. Unfortunately, his prose style left me laughing, as he described 30ft steps that he took to stop himself.

When I was a kid I also liked to lie down, look up into a blue sky and make myself dizzy until I thought I was falling upwards. I would also involuntarily grab the grass to stop myself.

I haven't experienced any of the dreams of experiences described here, but I do remember, just once as a child, thinking about the whole concept of the universe being infinite - and for a second, I got it. I had hold of the idea of something boundless, eternal, endless...

but only for a second, then it slithered away from me, and I've never felt it again. I'm quite grateful, really, because it was quite a frightening feeling, as though it was really more than I could cope with. :?

monops said:
I haven't experienced any of the dreams of experiences described here, but I do remember, just once as a child, thinking about the whole concept of the universe being infinite - and for a second, I got it. I had hold of the idea of something boundless, eternal, endless...

but only for a second, then it slithered away from me, and I've never felt it again. I'm quite grateful, really, because it was quite a frightening feeling, as though it was really more than I could cope with. :?

I experienced this too, just once - and now can't remember most of it.
It's almost as if human consciousness cannot contain all that knowledge, and most of it just spills out and evaporates. Lost, like tears in the rain, etc.

It's almost as if human consciousness cannot contain all that knowledge, and most of it just spills out and evaporates. Lost, like tears in the rain, etc.

Yes! A moment when suddenly you 'get' it, but then it's gone...

Fanari_Lloyd said:

Yes! A moment when suddenly you 'get' it, but then it's gone...

That's exactly how it felt. For a couple of seconds I could have given Steven Hawking a run for his money...

Hypermetropia said:
I think to myself "beyond what I can see there are more stars and beyond that more stars and beyond that.... darkness?"

Reading page one again and I'm struck by how the human experience is really extremely diverse. For example, not all adults see the night sky in 3 dimensions. Once the expansion of the perception takes this on, it seems self-evident. But it isn't like that for everyone. The variety of ways people interpret the size and depth of space is interesting to note. While outback a few weeks ago, I was again brought into context with the vastly distant near neighbours. I got a rush happening like that described above, but behind the farthest 'layer' of stars was whiteness, not blackness. The immensity of the universe is filled with lights, and it seemed to me that the further I could 'see', the more light filled the void until it was a mosaic so tightly bound by light that it was almost uniform. It was a joyous realisation. Touching Nirvana?

skinny said:
I got a rush happening like that described above, but behind the farthest 'layer' of stars was whiteness, not blackness. The immensity of the universe is filled with lights, and it seemed to me that the further I could 'see', the more light filled the void until it was a mosaic so tightly bound by light that it was almost uniform. It was a joyous realisation. Touching Nirvana?
It sounds like you experienced, or discovered for yourself, a form of Olbers' Paradox - in an infinite but static universe the sky should be bright! Anywhere you looked you'd see a star. (The further stars would be fainter, but there'd be more of 'em to compensate!)

But clearly the sky is dark. The explanation goes far beyond the cosmology of Olbers and his generation. If my words haven't already given you a clue, you can read about the Paradox here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olbers%27_paradox

Truly it is a great and mysterious universe, and OP shows how the simplest observation can have profound theoretical ramifications.

Thanks.
Will start here tomorrow: Wesson, Paul (1991). "Olbers' paradox and the spectral intensity of the extragalactic background light". The Astrophysical Journal 367: 399–406. free link

Voyager 1 and 2 are on this trip now - desc ending? Or furthering? Whatever the designation, they are away and they ain't returning. Journey to the stars? Generally, yeah. They'll reach the vicinity of the Gliese system in around 40,000 years. Contact with anything at all is so remote as to be virtually incalculable. gulp

Sensations of terror and panic and descent into black nothing with no end. I woke up, but my mind has been popped, blown a little out of shape.

I'm reminded irrestistibly of Ray Bradbury's short story 'Kaleidoscope' - the following tensely atmospheric radio adaptation of which I was 'enjoying' only the other evening. On reflection, it's not ideal listening for a sleepless night.

Addendum: Just remembered another sci-fi story in which a crew member of a spacecraft on a long mission has, IIRC, a phobia of being stranded in space (every way being down and all) - not so much a fear of death as of the existential horror of falling forever alone. He dies in an accident (I think) and a regulation space burial is arranged, against his wishes when alive. He then returns to haunt his friends' dreams pleading, "Please don't let them bury me between the stars..."

Anyone know this? I'd google it but have to nip out to the shops - he said returning to Earth with a bump.

Last edited:
Back