• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ningen (Humanoid Figure; Antarctica)

Are they verified as real animals, though? Aren't they a myth or has there been authentic proof of their existence apart from those dodgy-looking photographs? I can't find any.

This has jogged my memory about "sea apes", although I can't recall the specifics. Am I right in that or am I making it up?

No you're not making it up I've heard of them too.

This is as impossible as it gets, but I think they're brilliant.

If anything, they look like a 'real' species,only called humanoid because of their arms and 'hands'. I like it because it is new to me :p

I suppose it is a nice idea even if it isn't true, but now I'm wondering if there's any connection between them and the so-called sea apes. Some kind of whale version of a mermaid?

Sure you're not mixing it up with the aquatic ape theory?

Interesting stuff, but I can't help thinking it all looks a bit viral. I'm sure we'd have heard something about these in the past otherwise, and the pics could be lifted from a movie or game...

RE: Antarctic Yeti

The closest thing I heard about something like that is the "Ningen" - although it is supposed to live in the water but have some humanoid features:

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2011/08/t ... e-believe/

But it is really more like a sea monster than a sort of Yeti.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of those clickbait looking '5 weirdest unexplained monsters' videos but I quite enjoyed this one .. the voice over's a bit irritating though .. (I've no idea why there's a picture of someone in a werewolf suit on some stairs though) ..

The segment addressing ningen starts circa 1:35.

... The Ningen on the photo... Looks like a difformed white bear caught on google Earth, if it is possible on the north pole. ...

The Ningen on the photo... Looks like a difformed white bear caught on google Earth, if it is possible on the north pole.
It's a polar bear. I think there's been a glitch in the automatic photo splicing software, and it's missed out the bear's front legs - joining the head onto the bear's hindquarters.
hqdefault.jpg

That...or as you say, malformed.

It's a polar bear. I think there's been a glitch in the automatic photo splicing software, and it's missed out the bear's front legs - joining the head onto the bear's hindquarters.
hqdefault.jpg

IMHO the legs are too long and spindly to be a polar bear. My gut reaction to this photo (however many years ago it first appeared ... ) was that it was a human struggling to get into or out of an all-white suit (e.g., drysuit / wetsuit).

Yes, there are such things.

One obvious question would be why would anyone wear an all-white suit (rather than something brightly colored, for safety / visibility) around polar waters. One straightforward possibility would be camouflage for hunters (e.g., Inuits) or military personnel in winter gear.

In any case ... The classic Ningen has forelimbs, unlike the figure in this photo. I've never understood why people familiar with the Ningen stories would ever mistake this bizarro figure for a Ningen.

hqdefault.jpg

That's what I meant!

Back