No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I'm starting this thread to contain stories of people who do something 'good' only to be slapped down by fate.

Here's an inaugural specimen ...

ACT 1:
Man buys $540 worth of cookies to get Girl Scouts out of the cold

A man's act of kindness is going viral after he bought $540 worth of Girl Scout cookies to get some kids inside out of the cold.

Kayla Dillard, who manages cookie sales for Troop 1574, said the Girl Scouts were selling cookies outside a Greenville store when the man bought seven boxes of cookies for $40.

Dillard said the man returned moments later and told the girls: "Pack up all of your cookies. I'm taking them all so y'all can get out of this cold."

The man bought a total $540 worth of cookies, Dillard said.

"What an amazing soul. It was about 34 degrees outside that night and we were there for about two hours already before he came," Dillard told CNN. "We all were shocked. The girls were very excited and thankful."

The stranger's act of kindness is going viral, with Dillard's Facebook post being shared thousands of times.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/0...et-Girl-Scouts-out-of-the-cold/5811551196244/

ACT 2:
Man who bought $540 of Girl Scouts cookies is arrested

A South Carolina man who bought more than 120 boxes of Girl Scouts cookies to help the scouts escape the cold has been arrested on drug charges.

News outlets report the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency says 46-year-old Detric Lee McGowan was arrested Tuesday on charges including conspiracy to distribute fentanyl and cocaine. The agency says McGowan is the same man who appeared in a photo that garnered thousands of views and shares online.

Mother Kayla Dillard had shared the photo on Facebook, saying the man paid $540 in cash for all the girls’ cookies so they could escape the cold outside a store near Greenville, South Carolina. She said she didn’t get the man’s name.

An indictment issued last week says McGowan, also known as “Fat,” is one of several suspects in an ongoing drug investigation. It says he and 10 other people conspired to import drugs from Mexico in late 2018. The U.S. Attorney’s Office says authorities are still searching for one of the suspects.

The vice president of recruitment and marketing for Girl Scouts of South Carolina-Mountains to Midlands, Karen Kelly, says the organization will cooperate with authorities. She says in a Tuesday statement that the organization had no reason to believe McGowan was “anything other than one of our valuable customers.”
SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/ce63e6b16e5c4f29b1dab9c29a7a1177

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Munchies may or may not have been involved, but the nickname 'Fat' is ironic. Here's a photo of him posing with the Girl Scouts whose cookies he mass-bought ...

Man-buys-540-worth-of-cookies-to-get-Girl-Scouts-out-of-the-cold.jpg

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
lt’s not the best example of the concept, unfortunately.

If he’d spent his last $540 buying the girls’ biscuits, and had then been hospitalised with exposure because he didn’t have the bus fare to get home, then yes.

What we have here is simply:

a) Man buys a lot of biscuits, then;

b) Man is subsequently arrested on unrelated charges.

maximus otter

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
lt’s not the best example of the concept, unfortunately.

If he’d spent his last $540 buying the girls’ biscuits, and had then been hospitalised with exposure because he didn’t have the bus fare to get home, then yes.

What we have here is simply:

a) Man buys a lot of biscuits, then;

b) Man is subsequently arrested on unrelated charges.

maximus otter
Agreed, looking at the thread title, I thought someone was going to accuse him of being a paedophile or something.

Regarding the charges, assuming they are true, even drug dealers can be kind, or at least make a show of it any way, which is what this may be: PR.

People who tick the 'bad' box are sometimes capable of genuinely good deeds, just as those who tick the 'good' box are capable of evil. We are a complicated lot.

One important lesson that might be gleaned from the original story: if you're going to be a master criminal - maybe don't plaster your face all over social media.

I've known nice drug dealers, especially Gazelle Boy, I wonder what happened to him. He fled the country to avoid a court case, he always dealt at a low level though.

He was called Gazelle Boy because he used to relate a story about a boy raised by gazelles.