• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Meals / Food / Snacks: Portion & Serving Size

Speaking of portions, the maddest portion of food (outside the US anyway) is the serving of proper chip shop chips, where a "small" is enough carbs for a family of four and a large could probably power a train for week.

I occasionally get some from the local chippy after imbibing some libations at the hostelry, a couple times (when in a state of extreme enjollification) I have ordered the large, no other items, and attempted to eat them. Both times, despite the heroic powers gifted to me via alcohol I have managed about three quarters of them before entering a bloated and torpid state suffused with regret and spent most of the sleepless night wondering if this is what pregnancy must feel like.

I dread to think what I am going to do to myself when the pubs reopen properly...

what I am going to do to myself
Whatever it is please don't go into detail for our gratification.

But yeah, chippy chips....I reckon they're responsible for global warming with their portion sizes.
I clearly remember (or at least 'clearly' inasmuch as I can remember it) that when I was a kid, dad would go to the King Neptune (award winning chippy at the time) near the Green Man at the top of Hale Lane, and come back laden down with enough food for our family of four, but that would be one portion of chips divided between all of us, and there was always some left over.
I reckon they multiplied in volume during the journey home.

You get that with packs of biscuits, with a serving suggestion of 2 biscuits, who the hell only eats 2 biscuits a time?
This is the reason why I rarely buy biscuits.
If I buy a pack, it's usually gone in one go.

I remember going to a bar/restaurant in Atlanta called 'Ruby Tuesdays' on an stop over, four of usr ordered a taster platter for one which fed us all (4 adults), on the table next to us a guy ordered a chicken salad, it came out in what i would describe as a salad serving bowl full of salad with 4 huge chicken breasts balanced on top, this was a single serving.

Speaking of portions, the maddest portion of food (outside the US anyway) is the serving of proper chip shop chips, where a "small" is enough carbs for a family of four and a large could probably power a train for week.

I occasionally get some from the local chippy after imbibing some libations at the hostelry, a couple times (when in a state of extreme enjollification) I have ordered the large, no other items, and attempted to eat them. Both times, despite the heroic powers gifted to me via alcohol I have managed about three quarters of them before entering a bloated and torpid state suffused with regret and spent most of the sleepless night wondering if this is what pregnancy must feel like.

I dread to think what I am going to do to myself when the pubs reopen properly...
Our local, award-winning chippy launched a scheme during the pandemic where you could donate portions from the menu. The boss told me there’s been some real rough times in our area so the least I can do is front up and extra bit of cash for the huge portions he serves out to those in need.

Learned to make my own. A bit of a faff but not requiring a major skillset. Make as many as you like, with time, add cream as well as dark, white or milk chocolate.
But, yeah - you pay for what you get combines with you pay for someone else to make stuff you could do yourself given the chance. Frankly, going to a dinner party (bring a course rather than a bottle?), I'd make my own. Cheaper and more kudos.
And yes, I can make profiteroles. But, after a day at work, I'm really not going to be arsed.

Unhealthy products try to get on board with the healthy-eating movement by dialling-down the portion-sizes.

I swear I have seen gallon bottles of white cider emblazoned with the words, "sharing pack!"

Makes us feel all cozy, underneath the arches! I feel a song coming on . . . :boozing:

I like the phrase 'serving suggestion' when printed on a packet of something because invariably their 'serving suggestion' is just the contents of the packet pictured on a plate.

Unhealthy products try to get on board with the healthy-eating movement by dialling-down the portion-sizes.

I swear I have seen gallon bottles of white cider emblazoned with the words, "sharing pack!"

Makes us feel all cozy, underneath the arches! I feel a song coming on . . . :boozing:
flanagan+and+allen.jpg

Back