• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

No-one could have forseen this. Why not?

Rourke_Wality

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Precogs seem to have been a bit lazy last year. None seems to have forseen the following

The Japan Earthquake

... and tsunami

... and nuclear accident.

Death of Steve Jobs

... or Kim Jong Il

... or Usama bin Laden

... or Gaddhafi

... or Vaclav Havel.

The Texas drought

... or the Joplin Tornado

... or the Sindh floods

... or the Brazilian floods and mudslides.

Cessation of hostilities by ETA

... the capture of Ratko Mladic

... the terrorism of Anders Breivik in Norway.

Makes me a bit doubtful about claimed predictive abilities.

You´ll be able to prove that nobody was able to predict them, of course?

:lol:

Some people did predict Steve Jobs' death. Mostly tech pundits after he stood down as CEO of Apple.

I think a number of people predicted the death of Bin Laden, although I suspect a number of them have been predicting it every year since 2001. Likewise Gaddhafi and Kim Jong Il.

And we all know how some psychics are able to accurately predict natural disasters, after they happen usually.

One that largely got missed here was the floods in South East Queensland, which shut down Brisbane for two weeks, and peaked higher than the 1974 floods. Or what about the earthquakes in New Zealand? Don't remember anyone warning about them beforehand.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
You´ll be able to prove that nobody was able to predict them, of course?

:lol:
What do you think I am? Psychic???? :D

Maybe a lot of people did but never thought that what they dreamed or 'saw' could possibly real and hence didn't tell anyone or put it online etc. We will never know.

I take it you're talking about a lack of accuracy by the professional seers Rourke?

The biggest problem I have with prophesy is that typically, you can't tell what it's about until afterwards. Which makes it chiefly useless.

It is, of course, also a powerful tool for political satire. Afraid your patron or others might take offence at something you said about them in your collection of poems? Well, it's not about them, it's about the future! If they think it's about them, it's their problem not yours...

Now that is amazing, I just knew you were going to say that.

Actually, every single person who understands the Texas climate and the realities of water usage predicted the drought. And wildfires happen every year; this is just the first year they occurred close enough to concentrations of population to make the news.

It's just that nobody listens to us because we advocate doing mind-bendingly difficult things like not wasting water and setting up catchment systems.

A minor correction

I was talking about the kind of professional charlatan who claims to have foreknowledge of events; clairvoyants, religious leaders and others of that ilk. Some make money directly from this despicable flim-flam whilst others are seeking to display the primacy of their particular religious dogma.

I would have used Pat Robertson as an example of this last except he seems to have learnt his lesson - finally. He said recently that God has told him who is going to win the US Presidential Election this year, but that it has to be kept a secret. Convenient, eh?

Back