• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Noah's Ark: The Vessel (Feasibility; Resting Place; Remains)

http://worldofthebible.com/news.htm

Worth reading for the details of what Randall Price actually claimed and why.
It would seem the local guide has been trying to make money out of the story, but not to the extent of actually building the structure, although there is an unconvincing claim of feasibility.
The Chinese team don't seem to have had much to do with this guide, and Price was not so much accusing them of hoaxing as challenging them to produce very convincing evidence.

Noah's Ark site search man goes missing
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-11708987

Mount Ararat Mr Mackenzie had set out on a solo trek on the mountain
Continue reading the main story
Related stories

* Did Noah really build an ark?

A man searching for the location of Noah's Ark on Mount Ararat in eastern Turkey has been reported missing.

Donald Mackenzie, from Stornoway on Lewis, was last in touch with his family on 30 September.

Mr Mackenzie, who is in his 40s, was part of a Christian group looking for the site referred to in the biblical story.

A friend raised the alarm after he failed to return as expected from a solo expedition on the mountain.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office confirmed that Mr Mackenzie had been reported missing.

A spokesman said: "The local authorities are investigating the reports.

"Staff are in touch with the family and providing consular assistance."

Noah's Ark features in the traditions of a number of religions including Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

According to the Book of Genesis, it was built at God's command to save Noah, his family, and the world's animals from a great flood.

The ark is said to have come to rest on Mount Ararat after the deluge.

Explorers have previously hunted for remains of the craft on the 5,346m (17,820ft) peak. An American-Turkish team searched in 2004.

In 1957 Turkish air force pilots spotted a boat-shaped formation on the mountain.

More on the missing man:
....Mr Mackenzie, unmarried and in his mid-40s, has dedicated much of his life to uncovering the secrets of the legendary ark. The islander worked on building sites in London to pay for annual treks up the mountain, and his mother said he was an experienced outdoorsman with all of the appropriate equipment.

A friend called Musa who lives in a village at the foot of Mount Ararat raised the alarm after Mr Mackenzie, a Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland member, failed to return as expected.

I haven’t given up hope. He’s a strong guy and is intrepid and resourceful. He’s got good camping equipment and all the right gear

Maggie Jean, mother

His mother, the renowned Gaelic singer Maggie Jean, spoke of her fears yesterday that he could by lying injured or dying on the mountain, which is roughly four times the height of Ben Nevis.

“This is just an awful nightmare. I am praying he has managed to keep himself alive. I just want him back home safe,” she said.

“I don’t even know if they have sent up a search party to look for him.

“He last spoke to his brother Ross, who is in Luxembourg, on September 20. That’s the last we heard of him.”

“I haven’t given up hope. He’s a strong guy and is intrepid and resourceful. He’s got good camping equipment and all the right gear.

“He could survive up the mountain for a while – if only they would send out a rescue team for him.”

Ms Jean added that her MSP, Alasdair Allan, had written to Foreign Secretary William Hague, and that Interpol and local police had been involved. Authorities are planning to circulate a photo of the missing man around eastern Turkey.....

My sympathies are with his family.
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home ... -1.1066868

I hope hes ok but it seems unlikely at this stage. A solo expedition to any such mountain is not a good idea.

Bigfoot73 said:
Perhaps the Chinese took it on good faith that the local government officials had authority. This could be a major obstacle to the verification process.

The #1 obstacle to the verification process is that the Chinese are still keeping the alleged location secret.

Update on Mackenzie ... It's been more than a year, and apparently there's been no new findings with regard to his fate. A blog has been established by his family at:

http://ararathunt.blogspot.com/

Some of his items may have been found, it would be good if his family could get some kind of closure.

Claims items belonging to Noah's Ark hunter, Donald Mackenzie, found
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-19466512

Donald Mackenzie had been trying to trace the site of Noah's Ark

Related Stories

Weather hampers Noah's Ark search
Mother's fears for Noah's Ark man
Noah's Ark search man is missing

Two people claim to have found items belonging to a Scotsman who disappeared on his latest expedition to find the site of Noah's Ark.

Donald Mackenzie, 47, from the Isle of Lewis, was reported missing by a friend on 14 October 2010.

He failed to return from a trip on Mount Ararat in Turkey.

His brother Derick said two people in Turkey, one of them a mountain guide, claim to have found some of the adventurer's personal belongings.

Derick Mackenzie told the BBC News Scotland website that he was still waiting to see evidence of the finds.

Until he could verify the items as having belonged to his brother, Mr Mackenzie said he could not comment on the claims.

He plans to visit Turkey later this month in the hope of meeting people who hold clues to the disappearance.

Mr Mackenzie believes his brother was killed by religious extremists, or in a mugging, or died in an accident on the mountain.

His brother became interested in searching for Noah's Ark in his early 40s, and did a variety of jobs to fund his travels.

The Bible identifies the mountains of Ararat as its resting place after the flood.

Joanna Lumley says: 'I can’t bear being treated as special’
Intrepid Joanna Lumley is as happy to kiss Leonardo DiCaprio as she is to 'slum it’ on Mount Ararat. Just don’t ask her to join Facebook
By Daphne Lockyer
7:00AM GMT 25 Nov 2012

Not that Lumley would have the time to live out her life on Twitter. Now aged 66, she still finds herself constantly in demand. We meet at ITV’s London headquarters to talk about her new documentary Joanna Lumley’s Ark and a Christmas period drama, The Making of a Lady.

When she proposed fronting a documentary about Noah’s Ark, ITV agreed immediately, giving her a 90?minute slot, rather than the standard hour. “They did so because it’s such a complex, fascinating story,” she says. In her quest to uncover the origins of the story of the Flood, she found herself marching up mountains across the Middle East and breathlessly charming bemused locals on three continents.

Fascinated as a child by the Bible story, it became an obsession for Lumley when Life magazine published shots of what looked like a fossilised version of the Ark atop Mount Ararat in Turkey. “I wanted to take a look for myself, but I heard the site had been closed off to the public and was difficult to get to. So I thought, 'Well, if I wanted to try on the Crown Jewels, I’d be allowed to if I was making a film about them’, and the same applied here. I’d be given access for a documentary. I thought, let’s go for it.”

During her expeditions, the ever-intrepid Lumley insisted on no special treatment, preferring to slum it with her five-man crew. “The thing is, I can live quite humbly,” she says. “I can carry suitcases and be one of the boys. It actually suits me because I can’t bear being treated as special.”

At times, the team faced danger, too. Earlier in the year, they were filming on the Syrian border at the height of the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad. Fierce fighting was in full swing just a few miles away. “I was getting texts from people at home wondering if I was OK,” she says. “And we were, although it was all rather hair-raising.”

She inherited the adventuring sprit from her parents. Her father was a major in the Army, stationed in Kashmir, when Lumley was born. “We’re a family of gypsies in the sense that we have always lived on the hoof,” she says.

'Joanna Lumley’s Ark’ will be shown on ITV at the end of the year

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... ecial.html

Loved Joanna Lumley's trip to the Nile and to the northern lights in Norway.

This also got a possible high coolness 8) factor. The problem is the Noa's Ark story is based on old mythology and no archeologist has ever found anything looking like proofs.

Reminder:

Joanna Lumley: The Search for Noah's Ark
Today on ITV1 from 5:15pm to 6:35pm

Documentary in which Joanna Lumley crosses three continents in search of the truth behind the story of Noah's Ark. Was it a fable? Was there really a flood, and who was Noah? This is a journey where myth, legend, religion and science all play their part and Joanna soon discovers that the story is much older than she first thought. Her detective work takes many twist and turns, from the nomadic traditions of Mount Ararat in Turkey to tales of ancient Sumerian floods thousands of years ago. The adventure continues in India as a Hindu temple holds clues to a long forgotten ancient civilization. But it is on Jebel Shams in Oman, the highest mountain in Arabia, where the story actually comes together.

rynner2 said:
Reminder:

Joanna Lumley: The Search for Noah's Ark
TBH, I was disappointed by this. It was all a bit woolly and waffley (is that a word?).

Conclusion? Yes, there probably was a flood, :roll: ...but when, where, why? (The prog didn't even mention the possibility of the post Ice Age catastrophic flooding of the Black Sea basin.)

Some of the stuff from Pakistan was newish to me, but didn't make the link to similar fish-gods in Middle Eastern traditions.

I'm waiting to see what Darren Aronofsky says. His version includes the unicorns!

I love the way God made sure Noah was provided with young koalas and pandas. The young dinosaurs must have blinked when they saw a man.

I could not help imagining a Jurassic Ark scenario from some of the more unruly passengers. More fun than Snakes on a Plane anyway!

:)

beakboo said:
They should try and make a serious film out of it.
Noah: Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking dinosaurs on this motherfucking ark!

Even as a child, I did wonder where all the erm - manure was going to go. It's the sort of thing that obsesses you when you are 8.

You wouldn't want to be downwind.

Or...indeed, what were the animals going to eat? Those dinosaurs ate a LOT of meat. :shock:

Perhaps what they ate was dinosaur? And/or trilobite.

Think of the poor crew - when you weren't mucking out you'd have to be fishing or chopping up dino carcass.

Would you take seals and walruses with you on the Ark or would you leave them to fend for themselves?

gncxx said:
Would you take seals and walruses with you on the Ark or would you leave them to fend for themselves?
Depends if it's the breeding season. Then they need to haul out on land to give birth and mate.

Some background here:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 10#1386610

Channel 4 to build Babylonian Ark
Filming has begun on a documentary about an attempt to reconstruct the Ark that was the model for Noah's Biblical boat
By Telegraph reporter
2:00PM GMT 26 Jan 2014

As part of a documentary that will air on Channel 4 later this year, work has begun on a full-scale reproduction of the boat that was the basis for Noah's Biblical Ark. The boat is already in the early stages of construction, with traditional boat-builders in India working to specifications found in an ancient Babylonian tablet.

The Ark Tablet, which was deciphered by Dr Irving Finkel, assistant keeper in the department of the Middle East at the British Museum, tells the story of a great flood and the building of a vast ark. It was written by scribes in Mesopotamia some 1,500 years before the Biblical story of Noah was set down in Genesis.

According to Dr Finkel, who has published his findings in a book, "The Ark Before Noah", the tablet is "virtually an instruction manual for building an ark". It gives precise specifications for the material needed to make the boat, which is described as being round, like a coracle - in contradistinction to the traditional image of an oblong ark. The dimensions of the boat are given as 230ft in diameter and 20ft in height.

Pictures from the site show that building is at an early stage; a single elephant is seen helping with construction. It has not yet been announced whether any pairs of animals will attempt to board the boat.

This is not the first time a full-size ark has been constructed; in 2012 Dutch carpenter Johan Huibers opened to the public his 460ft-long reproduction of Noah's Ark.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... n-Ark.html

I hope they use exactly the right wood. ;)

Channel 4 to build Babylonian Ark
Filming has begun on a documentary about an attempt to reconstruct the Ark that was the model for Noah's Biblical boat
By Telegraph reporter
2:00PM GMT 26 Jan 2014

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... n-Ark.html

But the BBC can't be doing with all that Babylonian over-sized coracle business - for a new drama, they're going the Old Testament and qur'an route:

The Ark
BBC1 South West
Today on BBC1 South West from 8:30pm to 10:00pm

Epic one-off drama telling the human story of Noah: a man who risks everything to save the people he loves. A retelling of the classic tale, fusing elements from the Bible and the Qur'an to tell a story of faith and love. With David Threlfall, Joanne Whalley, Ashley Walters, Don Warrington, and Michael Fox.

I hope the Ark they build is true to the biblical depiction. A wooden boat designed to contain 2 of every creature on Earth.
So...it would probably have to be bigger than the biggest ship ever constructed in recent memory, and being made of wood, would probably fall apart because it's just too big.

That Telegraph link doesn't work, by the way.

Back