• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Noises In My Lane: Audible Strangeness In Ammanford

Hmmm....I don't know. I just don't know.

Where's Alan when you need him?

I'd like to ask him if his wife and himself were aware of the ex-cons in their local area (and the nature of their convictions) prior to hearing the noises (whatever they may be). Could it have been this that set their minds down the path of thinking about drug factories and child abuse?
Hi

That is a good point.

The noises were first heard in 2018, the first we knew of the drugs thing was when they were convicted in 2019.

Just checked, it was September 2019, here is the article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49852678

Best regards

Alan

One doesn't even have to postulate any 'underground facility' for the above activities. Look at Google Earth and Streetview. Immediately adjoining the premises are a chip shop, then a take away Pizza, then a take away Chinese. Directly opposite is a bus station with several waiting bays / garage / depot with an automatic barrier. Down the side of the premises is a narrow initially covered alleyway to access the rear doors and the gardens - which were overgrown and derelict. At the end of the garden is a public tennis court in a large public park. People will be waiting for buses, getting takeaways and yobs will be larking around. Anyone exiting any of these facilities who want to conduct private business would naturally turn into the alleyway to get off the street - to have a row, smoke drugs, have a drunken argument, generally hang out. The park is presumably easily accessible after dark for the bored local teenagers to congregate in and lark about. There may even have been a way through from the alley into the park? It appears there was a door from the cellar into the garden - even 'boarded up' this would let through more noise than a wall. The police thought 'Oh God, here comes the local nutter again' and fudged a bit of paperwork - so the police do such things - who knew? The whole thing is a chimera.
But this opinion does not tale into account several things, we used multiple recorders to test the areas you mentioned to compare the recordings of noises in the basement area, the noises we posted were taken after 11,30 at night (it rules out schools and most traffic)

But you seem to agree that the Police document was faked, but that is okay because I am the local nutter, correct?

Best regards

Alan

My mistake - I thought I saw a posting of yours saying your car had been deliberately scratched, and there was a photo? For some reason I thought it was a Rolls. Did you not eventually suffer harassment from locals - actual and social media?

I was hypothesizing the police attitude from their point of view.

In keeping with the above I am going to suggest al alternative explanation for the phenomena that you describe.

Feel free to shoot it down in flames.

So the sound engineer who listened to the tapes seemed convinced that the speaking and screaming sequences where separate from the vehicle noises. He explained this- weirdly - as being due to the vehicle noises being recordings.

I have listened to quite a lot, but by no means all - I have a life- of the five hour recording you have on your website. Much of it (indeed the vast majority if it) seems to consist of the very muffled passing of cars and bikes on a fairly busy road.

I would be almost willing to stake my genitals on those sounds being just that: the sounds of a nearby street that had somehow carried into your basement. I have no idea of the technicalities of how this would happen but...Occam's razor suggests that it is just this that is happening. The idea that there is some sort of subterranean drive-way with that amount of traffic...well, sorry but it's just ludicrous, and I'm even surprised that someone of your intelligence could even countenance it.

But the voices are different, I grant you - and the sound engineer seemed to think so too. So let's imagine that, instead of an `underground facility`, being down there, there is instead a cavity, a small room or two, which is left over from one of the underground toilets, mineshafts or bomb shelters that you mention.

The locals know about it and know how to get down into it. It is therefore used for different purposes at different times. Sometimes post-pub drunks carry take outs down there to carry on with their revelry (which is what some of the dialogues sound like to me), sometimes people go down there to have sex, maybe couples sometimes wander down there to carry on with their rows out of earshot, and...sometimes foolhardy groups of children sneak down there and scare themselves silly by chasing each other around in the dark.

The flushing and machine noises are (as I suggested) the local sewage workers/water board/whatever flushing out the system (as I suggested earlier). The presence of some local ex-cons is just an indication that it's a fairly rough area. They have, presumably done their time and need not be feared any more of the countless other people-with-pasts that surround us daily without our knowing it.

Owzaboutthathen?
So the sound engineer who listened to the tapes seemed convinced that the speaking and screaming sequences where separate from the vehicle noises. He explained this- weirdly - as being due to the vehicle noises being recordings.

I have listened to quite a lot, but by no means all - I have a life- of the five hour recording you have on your website. Much of it (indeed the vast majority if it) seems to consist of the very muffled passing of cars and bikes on a fairly busy road.

This is a very good point, it is a big commitment to listen to a whole 5 hour recording, or a 24 hour round the clock recording.

Not all of the noises that are recorded will be coming from underneath the ground, noises could be traveling along a tunnel or a shaft, and remember a lot of what we released were recordings taken after 11.30 at night,

To my mind this is likely as sometimes voices can be heard for a short while, and then nothing.

Initially I thought this was perhaps someone walking past in the street, but on some occasions the same person is talking, then it goes quiet, then they can be heard again, each time there is an accompanying noise, I think this could be a door or trapdoor being opened.

I would be almost willing to stake my genitals on those sounds being just that: the sounds of a nearby street that had somehow carried into your basement.

Now I do gamble from time to time, but I will pass on this one

I have no idea of the technicalities of how this would happen but...Occam's razor suggests that it is just this that is happening.

I guess you all know this, but I will post it as a reference point:

Occam’s razor is a principle of theory construction or evaluation according to which, other things equal, explanations that posit fewer entities, or fewer kinds of entities, are to be preferred to explanations that posit more.

It is sometimes misleadingly characterized as a general recommendation of simpler explanations over more complex ones.

The idea that there is some sort of subterranean drive-way with that amount of traffic...well, sorry but it's just ludicrous, and I'm even surprised that someone of your intelligence could even countenance it.

I think perhaps you are starting to understand my view point, your right of course, but if someone like me did believe it, their wife believed it and they were backed by many others that said the same, does the theory gain more credibility?

If we take your point :

The idea that there is some sort of subterranean drive-way with that amount of traffic...well, sorry but it's just ludicrous,

And use Occam’s razor we first have to correct the original statement so it becomes capable of being evaluated

Although the noises are coming from underneath the ground, it does not mean that there is a subterranean drive way with a
high volume of traffic, although the volume of traffic give the time of night is something I have pondered on.

And of course you do further your statement:

But the voices are different, I grant you - and the sound engineer seemed to think so too.

So let's imagine that, instead of an `underground facility`, being down there, there is instead a cavity, a small room or two, which is left over from one of the underground toilets, mineshafts or bomb shelters that you mention.

The locals know about it and know how to get down into it.

It is therefore used for different purposes at different times.

Sometimes post-pub drunks carry take outs down there to carry on with their revelry (which is what some of the dialogues sound like to me), sometimes people go down there to have sex, maybe couples sometimes wander down there to carry on with their rows out of earshot, and...sometimes foolhardy groups of children sneak down there and scare themselves silly by chasing each other around in the dark.

Of course there would have to be an entrance that was known for this to be plausible, when the matter was widely
published in 2018/2019 I received many emails from people telling me about many things.

That is actually how I came to know about a lot of the information, some mentioned other tunnels in the area, but not one
mentioned any form of entrance, although several people did look doe an entrance but to no avail.

An entrance was located about a half a mile away (as the crow flies) by a lady who says that there is a tunnel entrance across the road from Bubbles launderette in Ammanford, she the entrance was fat too get in to the tunnel but could see it went in three directions.

I have no way of verifying what she says though.

The flushing and machine noises are (as I suggested) the local sewage workers/water board/whatever flushing out the system (as I suggested earlier).

We have a 24 hour recording, in it the flushing noise can be heard every hour,

On one occasion we lifted the drain cover in the alleyway (this is documented in our first documentary), the flushing noises coincided with liquid appearing in the drain in the alleyway.

The fumes from that liquid were very strong, our eyes started streaming, our noses started running almost instantly and the fumes caught in the back of my throat,

The presence of some local ex-cons is just an indication that it's a fairly rough area.

Local ex-cons? Of the two convicted criminals that I mentioned one was Turkish and the other Vietnamese, if you have a look at the crime statistics Ammanford seems no worse than most

Crime Statistics for Rhydaman (Ammanford), Penybanc, Carmarthenshire (ilivehere.co.uk)

They have, presumably done their time and need not be feared any more of the countless other people-with-pasts
that surround us daily without our knowing it.

Owzaboutthathen?

Not bad, well thought out.

4 out of 5, you would have got 5 out of 5, but considering betting your genitals?

A miner once made a video inside Ammanford mine, its about a 10 – 15 minute watch, it shows just how big it actually was:

Underground at Betws Mine - YouTube

Best regards

Alan

My mistake - I thought I saw a posting of yours saying your car had been deliberately scratched, and there was a photo? For some reason I thought it was a Rolls. Did you not eventually suffer harassment from locals - actual and social media?

I was hypothesizing the police attitude from their point of view.

A Rolls? I wish:)

I remember the article, but I can not find it at the moment.

The car was an aging Mercedes that my wife's dad had given to us.

There were photos, the car was scratched, mirrors broken, headlamps and other stuff.

We scrapped the car.

There was some harassment, it seemed to stem from a County court case that we were involved in back in,
I think 2010, we largely won the case but the other side were awarded a penny in nominal damages,
the whole case did not need to happen, but some times you just can not talk to people.

The other side told everyone that they had won the day, when I fact we were awarded 3,000 odd

I put the details in a video, I still have it if you want it.

There was quite a bit of harassment on social media, some of it was contained in the comments in the articles
that were taken down by Wales Online.

The harassment on YouTube was interesting though, certain people left comments that appeared to be
trying to "muddy the waters", one local man has regularly left comments for me over the last three and a
half years, although he seems to be denying it now.

I have all the screenshots, he does not seem to realise that every time he leaves a comment, YouTube send
a notification telling you there is a new comment on your video, who made it, and what it said.

Best regards

Alan

I was asking how the recordings were made.

Fortean Photos are best done with film cameras.

If there is a negative there is a paper trail, -if the negative has been tampered with it will be detectable.

Digital media is not easy to detect fakes.

I was assuming it would be the same with audio, yes?

Therefore as evidence magnetic tapes are best.

Is it this one? http://tonygostling.blogspot.com/2008/09/ammanford-no-1-colliery-top-works-or.html
2.JPG
Yes, that is one of the old sealed shafts.

Part of the old workings is about renovated and become a housing estate, across the road is a housing estate that was built on part of the original site. If you have a look at the original entrance to Bettws mine (its behind LBS builders) you will see that some parts of the mine are unsealed. I think I am correct in saying that part of the mine is still worked today.

Many people have explored the old mines in Wales, this guy is one of them

Best regard

Alan

Well yes - theoretically, but in this case I don't think anyone is alleging the recordings are fakes or have been tampered with. Not to say that once the story was out local yobbos may have deliberately played up in the vicinity to provide something to record, 'for a laff'

I was asking how the recordings were made.

Fortean Photos are best done with film cameras.

If there is a negative there is a paper trail, -if the negative has been tampered with it will be detectable.

Digital media is not easy to detect fakes.

I was assuming it would be the same with audio, yes?

Therefore as evidence magnetic tapes are best.

Hi

I came across this in Bulgaria, the police were explaining the very same point to me,
they use still cameras for the same reason.

It is a good idea, although not always convenient or practical in this day and age, it
is a good point

Personally I think digital recordings, although easy to fake or even alter, are also capable
of being examined and any alterations would become obvious.

As an example, in the free program audacity, it is possible to upload a digital recording and
view the waveform, zoom in on that waveform until a single waveform can be seen,
I would think that if a recording had been altered, an examination of the file would show it.

But having said that, having both is better again, I suppose.

Best regards

Alan

Well yes - theoretically, but in this case I don't think anyone is alleging the recordings are fakes or have been tampered with. Not to say that once the story was out local yobbos may have deliberately played up in the vicinity to provide something to record, 'for a laff'

Yes, it could be.

I try to cover any angle, hence the bits about the recordings

Best regards

Alan

Noticed one of your old posts about three wheelers.

A good mate of mine used to renovate them.

He had two Isetta's, a Messerschmitt and another that I cannot remember the name of.

He even had a Sinclair C5 (if I remember rightly) to think I had a go in one of them!

For all of you that are not old enough to remember them:
1639335191059.png

Whoops, I guess I am off subject again

Best regards

Alan

Why they abandoned the house and took to the van is I think because not unnaturally they got their neighbour's backs up, especially the Nail Bar and the adjoining vacant premises. There is some indication there was a campaign of harassment against them (possibly by of criminal elements) - eg his Rolls Royce getting scratched.
Do you know the guy?

Yes, that is one of the old sealed shafts.

Part of the old workings is about renovated and become a housing estate, across the road is a housing estate that was built on part of the original site. If you have a look at the original entrance to Bettws mine (its behind LBS builders) you will see that some parts of the mine are unsealed. I think I am correct in saying that part of the mine is still worked today.

Many people have explored the old mines in Wales, this guy is one of them

Best regard

Alan
They built a housing estate on top of the mines? I'd hope they would have filled in the tunnels then.
BUT! In saying that, I have read the gas/electric meters in a housing scheme in Glasgow (Pollok) and noticed some of the houses were being propped up inside with scaffolding. When I asked why, the householders told me the houses were collapsing because the whole site had been built on top of old mines so that would make me think the builders did NOT bother to fill in any tunnels, as amazing as that sounds.

Noticed one of your old posts about three wheelers.

A good mate of mine used to renovate them.

He had two Isetta's, a Messerschmitt and another that I cannot remember the name of.

He even had a Sinclair C5 (if I remember rightly) to think I had a go in one of them!

For all of you that are not old enough to remember them:
View attachment 49168

Whoops, I guess I am off subject again

Best regards

Alan
That's not a Sinclair C5?

They built a housing estate on top of the mines? I'd hope they would have filled in the tunnels then.
BUT! In saying that, I have read the gas/electric meters in a housing scheme in Glasgow (Pollok) and noticed some of the houses were being propped up inside with scaffolding. When I asked why, the householders told me the houses were collapsing because the whole site had been built on top of old mines so that would make me think the builders did NOT bother to fill in any tunnels, as amazing as that sounds.

A lot of mines surprisingly do not get filled in, except with water.

I think what I an saying is correct, but it could be that the estate was built on ground owned by the mine, but not over the mine.

If that was the case, it would seem to eliminate one of the possible directions of any shafts or tunnels.

Best regards

Alan

Sums it all up quite well really, Weird, Fascinating and Interesting.

Maybe I will think about this and add a few more

Best regards

Alan

Okay, you said you like weird etc, here is something that I discovered along the way.

I discounted it ages ago, until someone here mentioned the air loom gang

Said to be the fore runner of Mk Ultra, the air loom gangs are an interesting read

This might interest also you:

Death Ray Matthews, Ammanford, Carmarthenshire web site (ic24.net)

Best regards

Alan

20 Years Ago . . . | South Wales Guardian

And this is why I think someone should try making recordings in some buildings in the surrounding area. Because I suspect there are tunnels either under the area or nearby and they are acting to funnel sound from various locations. If the same noises can be heard (or recorded) elsewhere, then this may well be the case. Simply recording in one location only doesn't give us any way to triangulate.

Yes, didnt think of that.

If you want to locate the source of the sounds, you will need recordings from several different locations.

two at least

Yes, didnt think of that.

If you want to locate the source of the sounds, you will need recordings from several different locations.

two at least
Plus, if these noises are NOT recordable from any other sites, it begs several questions.

I am confused as to whether Alan thinks the mine(s) have any relevance? If so, then it is obviously essential to obtain plans of them to see exactly where they are. All mines on closure have to deposit plans, which should be obtainable. Coal mining essentially collapses the area behind the face as the face progresses, resulting in subsidence at the surface - for this reason my belief is that they avoid built up areas, and even individual buildings - it seems unlikely they operated under Ammanford itself.

Back