• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Hedgehogs are noisy little beasts we have 2 or 3 that call, give then cat munch one
will take it from our hands, I did wake one night to what sounded like a navy in hob
nail boots dancing in the kitchen only to be met by the daughters gerbil having escaped
and having a walk round, surprising how loud things sound especially when like round
here it is very quiet in the dead of night.

Nice one. Cherish your hogs! They're generally in decline in the UK. One of the women at work has had a family of hogs in her garden recently in fairly rural-ish Bedford. I've never seen one in the wild myself.

He reminds me of an old neighbour's spoiled brat who would put on a performance like that whenever he didn't get his own way - which was several times a day.

Other koala shoulda bitch-slapped his crying arse.

DEAD LINK TO IMAGE OF HEDGEHOGS

Two of the little spike balls waiting for dinner on the back step.

We also have a Wood pigeon that walks in the conservatory and peeps round the door till we go out and feed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
i used to have a house that had a large back garden which backed onto a valley with a stream in the bottom and fields over the other side,lots of trees and bitch black at night. As you can imagine it was lovely and quiet - apart from the usual owls and foxes etc.
One night however, i was in the garden at night (cant remember why) but was alerted by this awful/pitiful crying, i was convinced it was a baby that had been abandoned. i knew that my dad had one of those 'million candle' powered hand lamps so called him to come over - he lived about a hundred yards away.
Well he brought the lamp over and we began looking for the poor nipper, needless to say THANKFULLY the source of the noise was nothing worse than next doors cat squabbling with another cat. i must say that we have cats and i have never heard anything like that since....

i used to have a house that had a large back garden which backed onto a valley with a stream in the bottom and fields over the other side,lots of trees and bitch black at night. As you can imagine it was lovely and quiet - apart from the usual owls and foxes etc.
One night however, i was in the garden at night (cant remember why) but was alerted by this awful/pitiful crying, i was convinced it was a baby that had been abandoned. i knew that my dad had one of those 'million candle' powered hand lamps so called him to come over - he lived about a hundred yards away.
Well he brought the lamp over and we began looking for the poor nipper, needless to say THANKFULLY the source of the noise was nothing worse than next doors cat squabbling with another cat. i must say that we have cats and i have never heard anything like that since....

I used to live in a block of flats and we'd sometimes get two cats having "let's see who can screech the loudest" competition followed by a punch up in a very echoey stairwell at 3 in the morning. If you chased them away, the buggers would wait for a while and when everyone was asleep they'd start where they left off.

We've already lost Hedgehog Flavoured Crisps, sadly.
I remember those .. they were hog (pork flavoured) and hedge (herbs) .. that was their argument at the time but I think they were forced to stop selling them by trading standards because they contained no actual hedgehog ..

The one time I had acid, I was staying over with some friends in Sheffield, we'd been out and I think someone stuck the last half tab in my drink.

Totally couldn't sleep afterwards, and kept hearing these weird noises on the landing outside, I think really just the heating kicking in and making the warming floorboards creak, just they creaked in such a way it sounded almost exactly like someone stood outside my door shuffling from foot to foot. :eek: Had me proper freaking out.

No idea how much being out of it was colouring my perception of that.

Creepy! :creepy:

The only time I ever had acid was at a Pink Floyd concert, so it stands to reason there were some pretty scary noises happening at that point. ;)

I remember those .. they were hog (pork flavoured) and hedge (herbs) .. that was their argument at the time but I think they were forced to stop selling them by trading standards because they contained no actual hedgehog ..

So why don't they stop selling dog biscuits and baby oil - no dogs or babies in either of them? :p

Gypsies eat them by all accounts, rotten lot,
eating my little friends,

Gypsies eat them by all accounts, rotten lot,
eating my little friends,
I read somewhere that people used to slow bake them in clay, that way, when the clay was snapped off then all the spines came away at the same time ..

Hello everybody and Happy Fortean and anything else 2017!
In the subject of strange, potentially scary noises, I remember about 5 or 6 years ago, in the winter months, being awaken by Mr Draheste, who heard a banging noise from the heating pipes. We don't have anymore central heating, our house being really small and heating with electricity, which is marginally cheaper than gaz. Anyway, it was a working day, at about 3 o'clock and my husband woke me up, as he was hearing the aforementioned noise. I'm wearing hearplugs and I removed them. And I thought: "Humm, sounds like poltergeist's noise or just a rat or a mouse trapped in the pipes. We have a wooden flooring, and it has a space between the soil and the flooring, and roddent critters tend to hibernate in there.
My husband started to veer towards irrationality, (how sweet!) as he does sometimes. Not me. I told him:
-"Just ignore it. If it is a poltergeist, it would got bored at our lack of attention. If it is a rat dying in there, it would be momified by the cold before rotting. So no biggy!"
So I went back to sleep, and he did and we never heard the noise anymore. Either rat or polt, I was right all along.

"That horrible dying 'UUUU-LAAAAAAAA! as the martians are dying."

There's an ad currently on ITV which shows an Alien warlord speaking to Earthlings about his forthcoming invasion.

A UFO nut sees this and drives off in his campervan to witness the event.

But the Alien warlord hasn't realised that in human terms he's only inches tall, and the campervan crushes his spacecraft!!

His reaction is very like UUUU-LAAAAAAAA! :twisted:

Many years ago I read an SF short story with a similar premise. In that case, a dog mistook the alien craft for an insect, jumped up and swallowed it! :D

Many years ago I read an SF short story with a similar premise. In that case, a dog mistook the alien craft for an insect, jumped up and swallowed it! :D

This sounds similar to the Micro Naut toys and comics from the 1970's. Also, weren't there quite a few ET and UFO encounters in South America where the aliens were no taller than action figures or toy soldiers?

That's from The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy. These advertisers are a shameless lot.

Gypsies eat them by all accounts, rotten lot, eating my little friends,

The story goes that Hedgehog Flavoured crisps were created by Philip Lewis, landlord of the Vaults in Welshpool, at the request of gypsy customers. There was an outcry from the RSPCA which led to an admission they didn't really contain hedgehog. The Office of Fair Trading insisted on a change to "Hedgehog Flavour" instead, and the company carried on for a while making the only totally organic crisps and producing a variety of flavours.

Reactions: RaM
A couple of scary (or at least eerie) sounds here -

Since my six-year old is obsessed with birds, this is one of his favorite videos:
Child says he thinks the loons sound this way because they're lonely. Which brings up an interesting question of how we relate a sound to an emotional state.

And here we have a couple of different tornado sirens in Chicago...

The description on the second video says the siren is broken, but other sources say it's meant to sound that way,
Whatever the case, it's debatable which is scarier, the siren or the tornado itself. :eek:

That's from The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy. These advertisers are a shameless lot.

Also, isn't there an entire miniature galaxy contained in a tag on a dog's collar, in one of the Men in Black fillums?

The story goes that Hedgehog Flavoured crisps were created by Philip Lewis, landlord of the Vaults in Welshpool, at the request of gypsy customers. There was an outcry from the RSPCA which led to an admission they didn't really contain hedgehog. The Office of Fair Trading insisted on a change to "Hedgehog Flavour" instead, and the company carried on for a while making the only totally organic crisps and producing a variety of flavours.

Some years ago a burger van in t'Potteries began selling 'hedgehog burgers'. There was a fuss over it - RSPCA, Environmental Health etc - and I heard him interviewed live on Radio 4.

His explanation was that the burgers were really made of normal meat but he'd called them hedgehog burgers as a protest against abortion. Yeah, makes perfect sense.

The scuttling noise in the loft space above my bedroom has been getting progressively worse. I've heard it for brief periods in years past but its now every night directly overhead....its stops dead the second the sun rises.

In the past ive assumed rats and that next door would take care of it, in my lazy way. Or mice, but I read its rare for it to be them up there. Squirrels are apparently the common culprit but I've never seen any outside around here so its hard to imagine we have them inside or that they'd be so strictly nocturnal.

Clearly its rodents of some kind, but having read the exorcist I ain't in a hurry to go up and look.

Or birds starlings are a pain for it.

Well there's no flapping or squawking, just running back and forward, or else doing woodwork. Unless its the roadrunner.

The scuttling noise in the loft space above my bedroom has been getting progressively worse. I've heard it for brief periods in years past but its now every night directly overhead....its stops dead the second the sun rises.

In the past ive assumed rats and that next door would take care of it, in my lazy way. Or mice, but I read its rare for it to be them up there. Squirrels are apparently the common culprit but I've never seen any outside around here so its hard to imagine we have them inside or that they'd be so strictly nocturnal.

Clearly its rodents of some kind, but having read the exorcist I ain't in a hurry to go up and look.

I'd want to find out what it was. Or better still, get someone else to find out in case it's something really nasty.

It could be pipistrel (correct spelling ?) bats ... we had a colony of them in our loft, they're a protected species ... you'd notice loads of droppings if that was the case and it would explain the nocturnal activity.

Back