• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nominative Determinism

We used to have a family doctor called Dr. Blood. And at the same clinic there was a Dr. Smallbone. It's like something from Charles Dickins

Truro carpenter was twice legal drink driving limit
7:00am Saturday 16th June 2012 in Truro

Marcus Woodman, 21, of Nancemere Court, Bodmin Road, Truro, pleaded guilty at Truro Magistrates’ Court to drink driving when he was more than twice the legal limit at Falmouth on May 12. 8)

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/tr ... it/?ref=ec

With all this extremely wet weather, the Telegraph sent a reporter to the Met office for the inside story. Who did they send...?

What's the outlook inside the Met Office?
How are the professionals coping with the incessant rain? Sarah Rainey (yes, really) reveals all :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/sarah-rainey/

I'm not sure if this piece is a B. to play:

The William Bastard Piano Trio

No one seems to have any biographical data on this unfortunately-named chap but I do like the defiant - or maybe just hopeful - way he dedicated the piece "a mon père" :)

edit: I have found the grave accent on this keyboard at last!

It took me ages to find this thread - I looked for threads with "name*" in the title!

Quite a subtle link in this local obit, however:
Former Falmouth docks blacksmith dies
7:00am Thursday 3rd January 2013 in Falmouth/Penryn

Former Falmouth Docks blacksmith Jack Angove died suddenly at his home in Oakfield Road, Falmouth, on Christmas Day night.

Mr Angove, who was 90, was born in Webber Street, Falmouth. He served on minesweepers during World War II and later went to sea with the Merchant Navy. He spent more than 30 years in the docks.

Married to Edith for 63 years, the couple celebrated their wedding anniversary on Christmas Eve.

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/fp ... mith_dies/
This Wiki entry gives a clue:
Michael Joseph (better known as Michael An Gof, where An Gof is Cornish for "blacksmith"; died 27 June 1497[1]) and Thomas Flamank (a Bodmin landowner's son and London lawyer) were the leaders of the Cornish Rebellion of 1497.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_An_Gof

And:

..An Gof (pronounced Angove), being Cornish for 'The Smith'..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Gof
And by coincidence (or not) the Blacksmith's funeral will be handled by W. J. Angove, Falmouth Funeral Directors.

There used to be a dentist in Muswell Hill, London, named I [for Ian] Screech.

nameless.jpg

I'm sorry.

I promise that one day I'll try really hard to grow up.

In the town where I used to live, there was a urologist by the name of Dr. Marshall Wiener. :)

Just re-read this thread, and there are some good'uns in here.

But I'm amazed (and a little impressed) that after 6 years...
AsamiYamazaki said:
When my grandad, Kenneth, went in to hospital for a very serious operation, he wasn't very happy to find out that the surgeon was a Mr Kilkenny. Luckily, Mr Kilkenny didn't live up to his name.
... still nobody has made a childish South Park joke about this one.

I know a woman in my industry (watches) with the surname "Uhrmacher" which means "Watch Maker" in German.

She is getting very tired of people pointing it out to her!

I think I've already mentioned this on another thread but when I was at university we had a Students Union Health and Welfare officer called Lucy De'Ath.

The female lawyer recently in the British media for accusing a male colleague of mysoginy for complimenting her linkedin photo, and has now been quoted as having launched a number of "men are monsters" tirades online in the past, has, delightfully, the surname Proudman.

Just read in Tom Bolton's, Vanished City - London's Lost Neighbourhoods, that the Chief Officer of the London Fire Brigade in 1938 (later - in WW2 - Regional Fire Officer, London Region) was named Aylmer Firebrace - which would be an awesome name for anyone, let alone a firefighter.

(His full name was Aylmer Newton George Firebrace. Now that, people, that right there is a real name.)

My favorite weather presenter is named Ramesha Shade. In the South US weather is bearable only in the the shade.
In 2008, I recorded in my little notebook, that a fire was covered by a newscaster named Ashanti Blaze; soon after a reporter named Green was sent to a story on Greenville Avenue. Then, soon, a story on chairs was narrated by a fellow named Buttman and a report on an badly hurt child was covered by Stella Paine.
No coincidences recently; nothing like the fine coincidences of local TV in 2008.

There's a carpenter shop in Stratford upon Avon called 'Brain and Hanmer'

Annoyingly close. I wonder if the alternative occurred to them?

In the same book that I mentioned above (Tom Bolton's, Vanished City - London's Lost Neighbourhoods) we have mention of a member of a Parish Commission (whatever that is) in Limehouse called Mr Crotchrode Whiffing.

I only mention this in the fervent and sincere hope that this does NOT represent a case of nominative determinism.

I don't even want to think about it...

Oh, bugger, I just did.

Last edited:
Crotchrode Whiffing was a brewer in 1815-1817, according to this page.
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/strong-beer-production-in-london-1815.html
Perhaps it was his apron that smelt.
Or maybe his leather trousers. Medieval Ale testers allegdedly poured some ale on a wooden bench and then, wearing leather trousers, sat in it for one, three, thirty minutes (sources seem to vary). If the bench then stuck to the trousers, the ale had passed (or failed) the test.

But the internet wouldn't be the bloated mass of misinformation it is if there wasn't some equal and opposite expert:
This website http://brookstonbeerbulletin.com/the-laughable-lego-lie-of-ale-conners/
argues that the story is nonsense.

The story began, it seems, in a 1911 publication entitled Frederick Hackwood’s Inns, Ales and Drinking Customs of Old England.

Amazingly, I find I have a 1985 reprint of this book! Which I never did finish reading. But I suppose I shall now have to check out the ale conners story. (But don't hold your breath - the book normally supports my bedside lamp.)

The writer Will Self has a name to conjure with, and he does, in this article:

A Point of View: Can your name shape your personality?
4 October 2015

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose / By any other name would smell as sweet." [Will, the Bard of Avon.]

I cannot recall a time when I haven't registered a susurrus of amusement on announcing my name. The other day at New Broadcasting House a receptionist was calling a cab on my behalf and, as people often do, was having difficulty with it. So I said, as I so often heard my mother saying when I was a small child: "Self as in 'Yourself'." The receptionist began dutifully saying "Self as in 'Yourself'" to whoever was on the end of the line, while the assorted minicab drivers and security folk gathered around the desk chortled merrily at my daft designator. Of course, I've long since been inured to this - just as the essential oddity of being called by the common noun denoting the human subject has never really impinged on me as much as others. I'm often asked if my name is pseudonymous - a nom de plume, perhaps, which has escaped its papery confines - and yet every time I'm still faintly surprised by the suggestion, because my earliest memories are of a world in which everyone was called Self, so it seems entirely natural to me.

If people persist in commenting on the name's strangeness I trot out the standard ethnography. Self is a name that, if not common, is certainly not rare in East Anglia - there are lots of Selfs up around Cromer in north Norfolk. The etymology is that it's a contraction of "sea wolf", which was what stalwart English peasants dubbed the Viking invaders. So, nothing to do with egotism at all - yet the name has still made its mark on me, such that I, more than most, find similar ones endlessly amusing.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34423194

So, NFN!

He is a man with great self will, it has to be said.

Three doors away from me is a Dr.Phil Stiff although he's not a medical doctor.

Back