• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nominative Determinism

I wonder if nominative determinism also operates in a disinclination sense? Such that John Major would've never joined the Army...nor would John Sargent.

Corporal Sargent, who might one day become Sergeant Sargent. Or the first John, would always subconsciously eschew the chance of ever becoming Major General Major (and the same case with his son, Major Major minor).

Would Tom Good strive to be bad, in the face of exemplification? And Tim Long stoop?

EDIT: today I saw in Facebook, a Hollie Wood. Well, if you were a Wood, would you? I suspect Hollie would, and well.

One man's mission to become the first person to swim across the Atlantic Ocean

This winter, a former policeman from Cheltenham will wade into warm waters off Africa and strike out for South America. Can Ben Hooper become the first person to make the 1,763-mile crossing?

Heard this chap on t'wireless this morning. He seemed rather more concerned about the danger from sharks than anything else and described the various measures being taken to protect him.

I thought, what's his name, Hooper? Why did that make me think of sharks before he even opened his mouth? :huh:

Then I remembered: Hooper is name of the oceanographer in Jaws who ends up being, er, eaten by a shark. :eek:

I have a bad feeling about this adventure.

One man's mission to become the first person to swim across the Atlantic Ocean

Heard this chap on t'wireless this morning. He seemed rather more concerned about the danger from sharks than anything else and described the various measures being taken to protect him.

I thought, what's his name, Hooper? Why did that make me think of sharks before he even opened his mouth? :huh:

Then I remembered: Hooper is name of the oceanographer in Jaws who ends up being, er, eaten by a shark. :eek:

It's OK, Hooper does get eaten in the book, but he survives in the film, so I'd say his chances were 50/50.

Toasters. Much more dangerous than sharks.

As are traffic lights, coconuts, mosquitos, rugby football, champagne corks (2 dozen killed a year), tripping, choking, food poisoning, cows (sorry), wind, bees, horses, cold, ladders, hot water, ants, dogs, icicles, autoerotic asphyxiation, hippos, left-handedness, lightning, vending machines, jellyfish, beds (falling out of....450 deaths per year in the USA alone)
http://wnyyradio.com/news/25-shocking-things-more-likely-to-kill-you-than-a-shark/

It's OK, Hooper does get eaten in the book, but he survives in the film, so I'd say his chances were 50/50.

When t'fillum came out (it was MASSIVE, everyone saw it!) I watched it before I read the book.

The book is of course much naughtier and more fun. :p

I liked Quint's end in the film better, though. Was a very Greenhorn way to go out, in the book

A terribly sad story from Taiwan - you may prefer not to click through:( - but I couldn't help noticing the name.

Perhaps veterinarian and animal lover Chien Chih-cheng was in the wrong job at the wrong time.

"She often worked overtime, rarely took a proper lunch break, and sacrificed her holidays to give the dogs more attention and make their lives better," Winnie Lai, her colleague at a shelter for abandoned dogs in Taoyuan City, remembers.

RIP

He always did look down in the mouth.

From Nature's Weirdest Events on BBC something:

Dr Haddock_FTMB.png

The other day, I came across an example of the absolute opposite of this - someone or something with a name utterly inappropriate for what they are. I'm buggered if I can remember what it was, though... sorry.

So as to not entirely waste your time, it was something along the lines of Cwm Maethlon in West Wales. The words mean "Happy Valley", and the valley road is a sort of shortcut on the way from Machynlleth to Tywyn, missing out Aberdovey. Not to labour the point, but it's honestly one of the most depressing, soulless routes I've ever taken, bleak and lonely, with houses which look like they're barely clinging on to existence. There are some nicer homes, but the whole place seems cut off from all the good in the world, and I can't overstate just what a nasty feeling it gives me. Either end of this road, I love the place - Pennal, Aberdovey, even Tywyn, have a nice air about them, just normal, basically.

Anyway, I digress, and I still can't remember my main example. As you were...

The other day, I came across an example of the absolute opposite of this - someone or something with a name utterly inappropriate for what they are. I'm buggered if I can remember what it was, though... sorry.

So as to not entirely waste your time, it was something along the lines of Cwm Maethlon in West Wales. The words mean "Happy Valley", and the valley road is a sort of shortcut on the way from Machynlleth to Tywyn, missing out Aberdovey. Not to labour the point, but it's honestly one of the most depressing, soulless routes I've ever taken, bleak and lonely, with houses which look like they're barely clinging on to existence. There are some nicer homes, but the whole place seems cut off from all the good in the world, and I can't overstate just what a nasty feeling it gives me. Either end of this road, I love the place - Pennal, Aberdovey, even Tywyn, have a nice air about them, just normal, basically.

Anyway, I digress, and I still can't remember my main example. As you were...
Please could you post a Google Street View link, so we can all experience the bleakness?

Please could you post a Google Street View link, so we can all experience the bleakness?

Actually, no! I've just discovered that Google Maps has no Streetview imagery for that road. I imagine that the car turned in, and was never seen again. One end of the road can be seen here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5750952,-4.0716715,3a,75y,309.72h,81.39t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sKQArOL_mdtZTVtfbM9egeQ!2e0!6s//geo1.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=KQArOL_mdtZTVtfbM9egeQ&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=245.09364&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656

Sorry for the massive link. I've temporarily forgotten how to compress them.

Back