• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nominative Determinism

I've just read a great description of someone in The Spectator (I also read The New European in Readly for balance). It describes Andrew Adonis as the counterweight to nominative determinism. :)
Oh that's lovely! Nothing wrong with how he looks of course but I still feel a little disappointed each time when I hear the words "Lord Adonis" coming from a TV and then look up.

Reading about a Victorian criminal case - the alleged murder of Dr William Reeks Lyddon by his half brother Charles (aquitted - but a bad sort, and no mistake) - I note an appearence in the proceedings by a Sergeant Sargent...which must have helped when filling in forms.

EESPul6XsAAl3EP.jpg

In the Tamar valley where I grew up in the 1970s there was a local antiques dealer called Robin Bastard. He was quite a celebrated character at the time and even got a mention on That's Life because of his name.

But as it happened my parents knew him socially and the name was an invention - his real name was Geoffrey Parish-Howard. I suppose it must have been good for business.

Actually, I have an example of what I suppose is a kind of nominitive determinism much closer to home than those I have previously mentioned.

My mum's maiden name is a 'Fitz'.

Clearly, I'm not going to advertise actual names here - but the following example illustrates the coincidence:

Imagined mother's maiden name: Lily Fitzherbert

Imagined father's christian name: Herbert.

Last edited:
This is the best one ever I think! A report on how developers are still designing housing round cars and not people. Written by Professor Matthew Carmona.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51179688

Planners and engineers have been rapped for allowing new housing developments to be dominated by roads.
A report says too many highways engineers are still approving roads that do not fully account for pedestrians and cyclists.
It follows a government survey suggesting an increase in public concern over the impact of cars on people's health and the environment.
The new report comes from University College London (UCL).
Its author, Prof Matthew Carmona, told BBC News: “Far too many new developments are still all about the car.
“It’s all about making sure cars don’t need to slow down. Pedestrians and cyclists just have to get out of the way.

As a lifelong Car Moaner I agree with him!

Back