• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nominative Determinism

Of course he keeps the name, it's on his credit cards.

Is this the same Adolf Hitler who appeared in an advert in the first issue of FT I ever bought, saying he was "back in business" or words to that effect? Looks like him, but it would be even more bizarre if there were more than one. Er, two.

Perhaps his father was thinking along similar lines to the father in 'A Boy Named Sue'.

There was a couple in Devon with the surname Littler, who really fancied naming their new baby Lyle - despite pleas from relatives. The parents just simply could not foresee what would happen in the school playground to a kid called Lyle Littler.

There was a couple in Devon with the surname Littler, who really fancied naming their new baby Lyle - despite pleas from relatives. The parents just simply could not foresee what would happen in the school playground to a kid called Lyle Littler.
Took me a minute! :rollingw:

I was just watching the Kingsman 2 film on telly and did a search for the real tailor shop that is featured in the film - Huntsman Savile Row.
Their prices are out of this world, as one might expect.
Anyway - I was looking at their website and came across this lady (Magdalena Handwerker, who is one of the cloth cutters):
https://www.huntsmansavilerow.com/the-team/the-cutters/
'Handwerker' is a Germanic version of 'hand worker'. How about that!

Ironic this one from The Daily Mail.
He needs to learn some conversational skills.

pickupj.jpg

Am a craftsperson in residence at a museum and also I write for magazines etc using different names, most usually combining my real first name with my grandma's surname so it is sort of my name, but also sort of not. I write about textile history but also regularly do craft how tos - things like natural dyeing and weaving and travelled round the UK in the Before Times, as a teacher of various textile arts including dyeing and weaving.

My (real) first name means "weaver" and my (real) second name means "dyer"...

I wasn't particularly thinking about this at the time I started working in the field, it did indeed sort of happen slowly over years.

Scientist predicted a man named ‘Elon’ would colonise Mars in book written 70 years ago

Writing in his 1952 science fiction novel "
Project Mars", engineer Wernher von Braun described a man called "Elon" who ruled over the Red Planet.

220px-Wernher_von_Braun_1960.jpg

One passage of the book – a fantasy blueprint for a human expedition to Mars – details that "a Martian government was created, led by ten men".

Those men worked under a leader "elected by universal suffrage for five years under the name or title of Elon."

Von Braun was one of the most influential scientists of the 20th century and a key figure in the development of rocket technology in Nazi Germany.

Following World War 2, he was secretly moved to the United States and became a pioneer of space technology for Nasa.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/14881853/predict-man-elon-colonise-mars-book/

maximus otter

Scientist predicted a man named ‘Elon’ would colonise Mars in book written 70 years ago

Writing in his 1952 science fiction novel "
Project Mars", engineer Wernher von Braun described a man called "Elon" who ruled over the Red Planet.

220px-Wernher_von_Braun_1960.jpg

One passage of the book – a fantasy blueprint for a human expedition to Mars – details that "a Martian government was created, led by ten men".

Those men worked under a leader "elected by universal suffrage for five years under the name or title of Elon."

Von Braun was one of the most influential scientists of the 20th century and a key figure in the development of rocket technology in Nazi Germany.

Following World War 2, he was secretly moved to the United States and became a pioneer of space technology for Nasa.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/14881853/predict-man-elon-colonise-mars-book/

maximus otter
WernherVonBraunProjectMars.jpg

Presuming, hoping, that "Leigh King" would be a good candidate for the local water board, I almost voted for her. But I knew nothing about her stances as a candidate, so I stoppered my joke vote impulse. This is TX, she might have been a horror.

Cop cleared of car ‘sex’ with drunk woman while on duty

Avon and Somerset police officer Lee Cocking, 40, said that the woman had forced herself on him sexually as he drove her home in December 2017.

He said that he suffered from post-traumatic stress syndrome resulting from tragic incidents he had dealt with during his career, and he was not psychologically able to resist the woman’s advances.

He said the woman made all the running in the car by pulling down her jeans and underwear, unzipping his trousers and ‘straddling’ him in the driving seat of the vehicle.

‘He was not remotely interested and was passive in terms of his actions. She was not entirely successful for the reason that he was not interested. He had no desire, before, during or afterwards to engage in any sexual activity with her.

‘She eventually gave up and Sgt Cocking drove the woman home.’

Cop cleared of car ‘sex’ with drunk woman while on duty

Avon and Somerset police officer Lee Cocking, 40, said that the woman had forced herself on him sexually as he drove her home in December 2017.
Speaking as someone who has had car sex, I can confidently assert that straddling a man who is sitting in the driving seat is not going to achieve the, er, object.

For a start you'd sit on the car horn and it'd go off rhythmically like a theft alarm.

Back