• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nominative Determinism

argue-and-phibbs-nicksarebi.jpg

https://www.sligotown.net/argue-and-phibbs.shtml/

maximus otter

A (now closed) dentist’s surgery in Durham.

This is good on two levels; not only the similarity of the name to the vocation, but also the fact that the name, said out loud, is how one might slur the word “dentist” with some dire dentition difficulties or post-extraction numbness.

Attachments

• 97F90B00-B171-4817-9327-F652A45BE719.jpeg
    97F90B00-B171-4817-9327-F652A45BE719.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Have we had Fireball Roberts?

So nicknamed because he threw a fast ball in baseball (for UK readers, such are often called fireman or something similar).

Took up NASCAR racing and died in a fireball.

Surely that's an unrealistic total? You'd expect some returners to have come again.... (perhaps that joke deserves the slow-hand-clap response?).

And since most of us think we know where babies come from.....where the heck are their names coming from???
https://7news.com.au/pandemica-salad-milk-weirdest-baby-names-2021-revealed-by-reddit-users

• Pandemica
  • Salad
  • Crispy
  • Milk
  • Brogan
  • Motel
  • Prosecco
  • Myblessn
  • Monster
  • Mileage (pronounced My Leige, as you would refer to a King)
  • Mudpiles
  • Linoleum
  • Fallopia
  • Famous
  • Yanique (pronounced unique)
  • Jelli-Anne
  • Truck
Some of these might be explained by this: interesting article that seemed to be stuck on finding an acceptible title ("Black American Names" was held to be a bit dodgy; they settled on "Ghetto Names" in the end) .

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GhettoName

Brogan and Yanique sound like names that are not used often, but nothing that startles.
"Truck" I have heard as a nickname, but not as a name. Perhaps the film "Truck Turner" had an influence?

The rest of the list is absurd.

Just had an email from a company I contacted a couple of years ago, asking if I'm still interested in working for them. To be honest, the 6000 mile commute puts me off a little. Anyway, that's not important now. The email came from someone with the (laughable) job title "Senior HR business partner". His name is Thomas Staff.

Brogan and Yanique sound like names that are not used often, but nothing that startles.
"Truck" I have heard as a nickname, but not as a name. Perhaps the film "Truck Turner" had an influence?

The rest of the list is absurd.
There's a boy called Truck in the film Escape From Witch Mountain. That's the only time I've ever heard it used as a name before!

John had it right.
’Do you like the taste of honey
Isn’t it best without the bees?’

Signs of the forthcoming apocalypse no.456.

From the ITV News website: one Adam Diver is preparing to swim across 32 nautical miles of the the Irish Sea.

Former army captain takes on biggest challenge yet - swimming across the Irish Sea

A former army captain is taking on his biggest challenge to date - swimming from the North West of England to the Isle of Man in a world's first.

The aptly named Adam Diver, from Fleetwood in Lancashire, will attempt the epic swim across 32 nautical miles of treacherous water in July.

The 45-year-old served tours in Afghanistan, Iraq and Bosnia, but is now preparing to take on the grueling mental and physical challenge by training at a special wave pool at Fleetwood Nautical Campus where he works.

Back