• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nominative Determinism

Wow, that story has been perpetuated for years, after 2015, I'm sure, too. So he was a big fibber? I bet it doesn't stop the myth, mind you.

The BBC had an article on their news page a few days ago.

Names the President of the Royal Horticultural Society.

Keith.jpg

Not exactly the same thing (and I don't know if they still exist), but when I was growing up in Exeter, there was an estate agent by the name of Force. So the boards outside houses would read 'Sold by Force'.

Not exactly the same thing (and I don't know if they still exist), but when I was growing up in Exeter, there was an estate agent by the name of Force. So the boards outside houses would read 'Sold by Force'.

An even better estate agent bit of nominative determinism:

https://www.crookandblight.com/

Drug dealer flies over handlebars during police chase

Jack Quick, 26, weaved in and out of traffic, mounted pavements and drove into oncoming traffic during the pursuit in Church Warsop, Nottinghamshire, in September 2020.
The chase ended soon after Quick crashed his motorbike and tried to flee from police on foot. Officers found 40 wraps of cannabis inside his backpack.

Quick, of Larch Avenue, Mansfield Woodhouse, admitted dangerous driving and possession with intent to supply class B drugs at Nottingham Crown Court.

He was given an 18-month custodial sentence, suspended for two years.
Video at link

Dick Balson?
Deary me. Oh my.

I just began watching the new Addams Family tv-show about Wednesday. It seems an attempt to do a Harry Potter-esque thing. She also has a sort of nemesis, called Bianca. I think they should have used the real name of that actress, what better nemesis for the woeful Wednesday than someone called Joy Sunday.

As seen in The Grauniad.

View attachment 61127
He's one of the sons of famous paleoarchaeologist Harold Dibble (1951 to 2018), who was a consultant on the Clan of the Cave Bear movie.
Flint's brother is Chip Dibble.
Looks like a case of a father making pretty damn sure his sons would follow in his footsteps!

He's one of the sons of famous paleoarchaeologist Harold Dibble (1951 to 2018), who was a consultant on the Clan of the Cave Bear movie.
Flint's brother is Chip Dibble.
Looks like a case of a father making pretty damn sure his sons would follow in his footsteps!
Are they related to Officer Dibble, I wonder?

Came across an example of nominative determinism that made me chuckle because it is so damned on-the-mark! Unfortunately, I can't post it here because it might trip the Politics Alarm. Too bad . . . :evillaugh:

Back