• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Non-Existent Part Of Hampstead NW3?

The only place I've ever been properly mazed was - of all places - Bloomsbury, which is not at all particularly difficult to negotiate. It's also an area I'm very familiar with.

My excuse at the time was that I was incredibly tired. I'd just worked two or three unplanned overnighters, had virtually no sleep in that time, and was also coming down with flu like symptoms. I was trying to get from just east of the British Museum to Euston Station, which is a very straightforward journey, and no distance, and I'd done the route - or very close to it - many times before.

But I got stuck in a loop. It was dark and raining and rush-hour. I knew exactly where I was going, but I kept getting it wrong and would find myself back were I'd already been without really knowing how. I can visualise the journey now, and realise that for some reason I was allowing myself to be pulled westward even though I knew it was not the direction I needed.

It is possibly one of the most disconcerting experiences I've ever had - and I'd compare it to some of the descriptions I've read of people getting 'stuck' in fairy raths and the like.
I had a similar experience in the very small city of Worcester, a place I knew very having gone to university there in the 1990s. I was on a return trip about 10 years ago visiting old haunts by the uni itself where I used to live. It was dark which no doubt led to my confusion but i took a wrong alley and ended up on a road I did know but approaching it from a new direction i couldnt work out where i was at all or even what direction i was going in. I was utterly astonished to find myself back where the walk began. I had unknowingly walked in a circle. It really was a disorientating experience. I remember a growibg feeling of panic at being lost in a place I knew well.

Back