Non-Fortean Films

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Maybe it just wasn't telling me anything I didn't know, then. I thought they were more keen on the thriller bits than the politics, which is fair enough, but I left it with an empty feeling that nothing had been resolved. I don't want to be too down on it, it was well done, but any finer points eluded me. The bit where...

the bomb accidentally went off in the pub

...was genuinely shocking.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
With the news of the penis transplant today, Percy is no longer science fiction. Think on that. Let's hope life doesn't imitate art, because it wouldn't be very funny.

skinny

Class of 1984
Reaction score
Maybe it just wasn't telling me anything I didn't know
I kinda know what you mean by knowing it all, but Bombs don't go off by accident in Hollywood.

The draw of the film for me was the humanity of the focus. Not a big shot on life, not a broad vista of big politics, big pharma or big ness. Just an everyday joe'sview of the daily coalface of life for far less than a million souls in Belfast from then to at least 1999. Only in screwupReel. It showed me an inside vision of that hardcore fuckup.

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Well, to be fair the bomb scene was a straight lift from Hitchcock's Sabotage, so it wasn't entirely without precedent. It could be the meandering helplessness of the main character putting me off, or more likely his complete lack of personality.

skinny

Class of 1984
Reaction score
Ok. To be fair the whole thing has been done before by a host of supremely superior film directors. But anyway you didn't like it. That's fine. Dif'rnt strokes.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
No, it's OK, I didn't dislike it, it was very well made, it's just that the reviews we had here were building it up as a modern classic and it fell short of that for me. Probably unrealistic expectations.

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The newish 300 film, god I know it's supposed to be camp but why so earnest? Lasted 15 minutes and even the lovely chick from Penny Dreadful couldn't keep me watching.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I loved the 300! I thought the earnestness was part of the ridiculousness of it all.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I was so bored by 300 that not even Eva Green starkers for the umpteenth time could tempt me to catch the sequel.

Graylien

As if!
Reaction score
In it's day the CGI was pretty spectacular. Spectacular in that it looked just like a two hour long cutscene. As do many films nowadays...

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
This film had tears running down my cheeks when I watched it as a nipper .... OUT OF JOY MOFO'S !!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
"And introducing Samantha Mathis". Anyone else get sentimental when they see her in a movie? She was in Under the Dome too, recently. Anyway, bit of a silly film because I kept Christian's broadcasts to be interrupted by his mum calling "Dinner's ready!" Nowadays he'd be a YouTube blogger.

Graylien

As if!
Reaction score
I watched Ricky Gervais's Invention of Lying the other day as it was in Poundland. Oh dear. A good concept turned into syrupy sentimental schmaltz. It was like watching an Adam Sandler film (not that I've ever watched one, but I've seen the trailers!). Why is it that British TV comedians always seem to end up making lousy films in America?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I've seen one Ricky Gervais film, the Muppets one. As a friend of mine said, he was like a black hole sucking the humour out of the movie.

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I watched Ricky Gervais's Invention of Lying the other day as it was in Poundland. Oh dear. A good concept turned into syrupy sentimental schmaltz. It was like watching an Adam Sandler film (not that I've ever watched one, but I've seen the trailers!). Why is it that British TV comedians always seem to end up making lousy films in America?
Yeah Eddie Izzard, Steve Coogan, Ricky Gervais - Yeah not a great of success there. I think the only truely successful comic turned actor would be Peter Sellars and at as push John Cleese?

Talking on Eddie - I used to consider him the best stand up in the world but caught his last show and left after the interval. That was the forth time I've seen him over the years. His material was boring and horribly smug particularly with his Dawkins anti-religious take on things.

I totally agree that The folk that bother god are likely to be delusional but at least show some respect to people's beliefs even if you don't believe in them.

Even Vonnegut could see some good in the figure of Jesus.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Rowan Atkinson, Billy Connolly and Lee Evans have all had pretty successful acting careers.

Monstrosa

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Victoria Wood, Max Wall, Julie Walters, Ken Dodd, Benny Hill, Ronnie Barker.

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Yeah but successful? Billy Connolly has been prolific but as stared in some total mares.

Last edited:

Graylien

As if!
Reaction score
I distinctly remember watching 5 minutes of a film starring Billy Connolly as a talking dog, Ugh. (Obviously Mrs Brown was quality, but that was a British film.)

And as for Johnny English...

Peter Sellers in my book is the only English comedian to go to Hollywood and get parts in genuinely good films. (And perhaps you could argue a case for Dudley Moore.) Everyone else just seems to end up playing a stupider version of themselves. (I'm not saying those films didn't make money. Just that they're lousy films. You really can't talk of Johnny English in the same terms as Dr Strangelove.)

Last edited:

Monstrosa

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Charlie Chaplin and Stan Laurel.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Elizabeth Taylor's the only one I can think of at the moment who was taken seriously as a Brit actor ... and Alec Guinness if you count Star Wars ....

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Reaction score
Could it be that comedians just tend to work better on a small screen than a big one? Rowan Atkinson, Billy Connolly, Gervais, etc. have all been wildly successful on television. And turning successful tv shows into movies has never worked out well. I can't think of any movie based on a tv show that wasn't cruddy in comparison, regardless of the nation of origin.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I must admit I really like the Lost in Space movie of about 20 years ago. The only Akiva Goldsman script that made a decent movie (A Beautiful Mind certainly didn't). Also The Likely Lads film is really good (apart from the farce bit at the end) and Serenity was a nice enough way to finish Firefly (unless you were Alan Tudyk).

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Downhill's not too bad, modest but pretty good as you say, though mockumentaries are ten a penny now and it does get too sentimental for its own good by the end.

One I saw tonight I'd say was worth a look, the Canadian movie Stage Fright (from 2014, not any of those other Stage Frights). It's a horror comedy musical, with the victims singing specially written showtunes and the killer singing metal. Sounds like it should be terrible, but it made me laugh a lot. "I'm gay! I'm gay! But not that sort of gay!" Meat Loaf is in it!

Moooksta

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Had to watch "Fury" last night, Brad Pitt's 5 man tank crew (Moby Dick anyone?) take on the Nazis.

It was actually very good...so good even Shia le Beouf walks away from it with actor's credentials intact.