Non-Fortean Films

Schrodinger's Zebra

Increasingly unlikely
I found this on Kurosawa very interesting:

How fascinating, thanks for mentioning this on t'other thread. :) Very interesting comparison between the old film scene and the modern film scene. Immediately I look at them, I know which one I prefer.

You know, I've never looked at films in this way before... I wonder if I can watch some of my favourite old films now and see if there are certain camera shots or anything :)

Dr_Baltar

Left Foot of God
Got round to watching Infinity War at last. Glad/ashamed* to see Scotland's lasting contribution to the MCU was a sign in the background reading, "We will deep fry your kebab".

* deep fry delete as appropriate

Bad Day For The Cut: An Irish Film about revenge, quelle surprise! Starting off in Tyrone and moving around the Six counties this is a tale of vengeance rooted in "The Troubles" but most of the narrative relates to present day events. Donal (Nigel O'Neill) lives on an Isolated Tyrone farm with his mother, he is middle-aged and lonely, repairs vehicles on the side. One night strangers come and murder his murder. A follow up attempt is made to kill Donal and make it look like suicide but Tyrone farmers are a hardy lot and one of the assailants ends up dead and the other is Donal's prisoner.

There follows a story of human-trafficking, sexual slavery and gangsterism in contemporary Northern Ireland. A quest which runs from the border through Belfast to the North Antrim coast as Donal seeks answers, about the death of his mother, his mother's past and the true story about what happened decades before. A violence you would think unlikely in an ordinary man is roused in Donal as he becomes a champion not just for himself but others who are oppressed. His violence pales though in comparison to that casually used by the traffickers to keep their slaves and underlings in line.

Superb direction by Chris Baugh and a great script veined with dark humour by Baugh and Brendan Mullin. This is a rural Cardboard Gangsters! 9/10. On Netflix

Brendan Mullin was at a Q&A after the screening and his next film will be about the accidental unearthing (during a motorway construction) of the vampire that Bram Stoker based Dracula on! It's working title is The Boys From The County Hell.

Last edited:
Breaking In: Revenge again. Gang breaks into house expecting it to be empty but a family arrives. It's been done before even with the revenge angle in Intruders (aka Shut In) but it works ok here and is neatly delivered in 88 action packed minutes.

Shaun (Gabrielle Union) accompanied by her children, travels to her late fathers house, to put it up for sale. Her children are grabbed by the burglars but Shaun stabs one of the intruders with a broken glass and escapes, overpowering the crook when he pursues her. It turns out that the gang is after $4 million dollars which the gang believes her father has in a safe. They have her children but she has their lockcracker.

There follows a battle of wits and arms, the gang has messed with no ordinary woman and her daughter Jasmine (Ajiona Alexis) also fights back. Plenty of blood, tension, clashess on the roof, hand to hand fighting. What makes this film stand out is the skill with which the back story is delivered in a few sentences, how Shaun was estranged from her father, he sold the horses after she left. 7/10.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I've heard good things about Breaking In, a novel twist on the home invasion thriller. You see, zombie movie makers? It is possible to be original with an idea that's been done to death (pun intended).

Dr_Baltar

Left Foot of God
How fascinating, thanks for mentioning this on t'other thread. :) Very interesting comparison between the old film scene and the modern film scene. Immediately I look at them, I know which one I prefer.

You know, I've never looked at films in this way before... I wonder if I can watch some of my favourite old films now and see if there are certain camera shots or anything :)
I'd highly recommend Mark Cousin's The Story of Film: An Odyssey if you like to see films (both old and new, familiar and unfamiliar) being analysed in ways that may not have occurred to you before.

It's fifteen 1-hour episodes, so requires a bit of commitment but, if you are at all interested in filming techniques, it's one of the most mesmerising programmes I've ever watched.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Mark has a new film about Orson Welles out soon, looks good - and yes, he is narrating.

On Chesil Beach: The film opens with Florence (Saoirse Ronan) and Edward (Billy Howle) strolling along the eponymous beach, they have just been married that day. Returning to their hotel room a pair of piss taking waiters insist on hanging around serving the silver service meal. This adds to the couples nervousness as both seem to be inexperienced sexually which apparently wasn't unusual for university graduates in the UK in 1962.

There then follows a series of flashbacks, not in chronological order, as the attempt to consummate the marriage continues. They first met at a CND meeting in Oxford, Edward wandered in literally by accident but it was love at first sight. Not at all corny, you can literally see Cupid's Arrows crossing the room. Florence offers Edward a booklet on the likely results of a H-Bomb hitting Oxford, Edward says it sounds like a good idea.

Florence has a first in Music from Oxford, Edward's first is in History from UCL This makes Florence's mother Violet (Emily Watson) wonder if his parents are from a tradesman background and her factory owner father Geoffrey (Samuel West) is equally snobby albeit in a more restrained manner. Edward's father Lionel (Adrian Scarborough) is an engineer and his mother Marjorie (Anne-Marie Duff) is an artist but suffers from an acquired brain injury and is prone to acting unpredictably.

There is some good acting especially by Anne-Marie Duff but the thespians are hampered by a screenplay which hasn't been fully translated from novel to film, even though novelist Ian McEwan has written the adaptation. The chopped up nature of the flashbacks in this instance also hamper the development of a coherent narrative. This is still a touching story of love blighted by inexperience with some dark secrets also implied in the background. 7/10.

titch

Justified & Ancient
On Chesil Beach: The film opens with Florence (Saoirse Ronan) and Edward (Billy Howle) strolling along the eponymous beach, they have just been married that day. Returning to their hotel room a pair of piss taking waiters insist on hanging around serving the silver service meal. This adds to the couples nervousness as both seem to be inexperienced sexually which apparently wasn't unusual for university graduates in the UK in 1962.

There then follows a series of flashbacks, not in chronological order, as the attempt to consummate the marriage continues. They first met at a CND meeting in Oxford, Edward wandered in literally by accident but it was love at first sight. Not at all corny, you can literally see Cupid's Arrows crossing the room. Florence offers Edward a booklet on the likely results of a H-Bomb hitting Oxford, Edward says it sounds like a good idea.

Florence has a first in Music from Oxford, Edward's first is in History from UCL This makes Florence's mother Violet (Emily Watson) wonder if his parents are from a tradesman background and her factory owner father Geoffrey (Samuel West) is equally snobby albeit in a more restrained manner. Edward's father Lionel (Adrian Scarborough) is an engineer and his mother Marjorie (Anne-Marie Duff) is an artist but suffers from an acquired brain injury and is prone to acting unpredictably.

There is some good acting especially by Anne-Marie Duff but the thespians are hampered by a screenplay which hasn't been fully translated from novel to film, even though novelist Ian McEwan has written the adaptation. The chopped up nature of the flashbacks in this instance also hamper the development of a coherent narrative. This is still a touching story of love blighted by inexperience with some dark secrets also implied in the background. 7/10.
Sounds awful, it needs helicopter chases and nazi zombies to make it even a little bit interesting

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
Sounds awful, it needs helicopter chases and nazi zombies to make it even a little bit interesting
Every film needs a helicopter chase. One of my reasons for loving the fantastic, and very Fortean, Capricorn One is the helicopter/crop duster plane chase sequence.

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
So I have just this minute realised that the film Atomic Blonde is NOT a boipic about Blondie! Saw the posters on buses months ago and thought, "oh, a film about Debbie Harry, that's odd". Saw the film listed as an action film on Amazon Prime and the penny eventually dropped...

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
So I have just this minute realised that the film Atomic Blonde is NOT a boipic about Blondie! Saw the posters on buses months ago and thought, "oh, a film about Debbie Harry, that's odd". Saw the film listed as an action film on Amazon Prime and the penny eventually dropped...
We all have a blonde moment X

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
The sad truth is that my blonde moment has lasted 50 years, and is on-going. I am a purebred :clown:!
45 years and counting for me (with the odd flash of brilliance) you old Aryan you ! :)

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
45 years and counting for me (with the odd flash of brilliance) you old Aryan you ! :)
Any flashes I get are purely menopausal!

Feather your nest as much as you can from now on in. That's the only advice I can give from five years down the line!

I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore: Quirky dark comedy. Nursing assistant Ruth (Melanie Lynskey) has had a hard day. A patient died, people cut in front of her at the supermarket till, a dog has crapped on her law and now she discovers shes been burgled. The police are of little help at the time, even later when her app locates the address of her stolen laptop she ens up dealing with a bureaucratic telephonist. Enough! She rounds up her weirdo loner neighbour Tony (Elijah Wood) to go and recover her possessions. A strange odyssey ensues.

Strong performances from Lynskey and Woods: Ruth is the everywoman who decides to fight back and Tony is her hapless wannabe ninja sidekick who only inflicts injuries on the miscreants by accident. This not so dynamic duo get involved out of their depth as they storm houses, pawnshops and mansions. A romance develops but the film becomes ever darker. But even people being killed by a bus and having a water snake attached to their face seem funny due to the sharp witty script by Macon Blair who also supplies tight direction. 8/10

titch

Justified & Ancient
At this very moment i am watching "darkest hour" its so disappointing, Churchill is on the underground talking to the common folk. give me a bucket. Such an amazing, dramatic true story turned into a pile of cat poo. Even this board is more entertaining!

At this very moment i am watching "darkest hour" its so disappointing, Churchill is on the underground talking to the common folk. give me a bucket. Such an amazing, dramatic true story turned into a pile of cat poo. Even this board is more entertaining!
My eyes went misty and there was a catch in my throat during that scene. History will put it on a par with the Marseillaise scene in Casablanca.

titch

Justified & Ancient
Churchill's speeches make the movie, it would have been much better if they cut everything else and gave us them.

skinny

Antediluvian
Watched HD Stanton's last role in Lucky last night. Sadly, I had to flick through in 10 minute increments because it was so boring. I stopped for Dave Lynch's cameo, but even that highlight was pretty low. Won't rate it out of respect for the dear departed. RIP HD.

First Reformed: Ernst Toller (Ethan Hawke) is a troubled pastor, he resigned as a military chaplain after his son was killed in Iraq and his marriage has broken up. Now he has a crisis of faith and it looks as if may be seriously ill. His church is First Reformed, basically a museum with a small congregation, it is attached to a much bigger church, Abundant Life. First Reformed's 250th anniversary of it's founding is coming up and that is it's only real importance to it's Mother Church.

One of Toller's parishioners, Mary (Amanda Seyfried) asks him to counsel her husband Michael (Philip Ettinger) who has negative feelings about her pregnancy due to his pessimism over environmental issues. Enst meets with Michael, finds he has served a prison sentence for his activism, and an interesting debate ensues. They agree to meet again but Mary finds a suicide vest in her garage and goes to Toller who realises Michael is involved deeper and in darker actions then he first realised.

Much of the film has a voiceover by Toller, putting events in context and outlining his traumas over his losses and his faltering belief in God. He is writing a journal where he sets down these musings. Thomas Merton is an inspiration to him and he is also troubled by how Abundant Life has become a megachurch which serves Mammon rather than God: while not a Prosperity Preacher, it's senior Reverend, Jeffers (Cedric Kyles) and his church is very much financially dependent on a local billionaire, Balq (Michael Gaston) who runs polluting industries. Balq objects when Toller officiates at a memorial service for a deceased environmentalist which takes place at a polluted site.

Directed and written by Paul Schrader, First Reformed is about guilt, individual and mass struggles, the difference an individual can make, it is about bereavement, loss of love and ultimately redemption. Great performances from Hawke, Seyfried and Ettinger. There are plenty of flawed characters here including an interesting interpretation of Jeffers by Kyles who has compromised so that he can build a bigger enterprise providing more services but he may have supped with the devil in doing so. Powerful religious/social drama marking his 40th year as a director and dealing with some of the themes and influences of his own strict Calvinist upbringing. It also seems to have allusions to the German Expressionist Playwright and activist Ernst Toller, his autobiography: I was A German (first published 1934) is well worth a read. 9/10

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
I like a lot Darkest Hour, I just wish that it was not so obvious that Buck House is played by Wentworth Woodhouse. Whistlejacket!!!