Non-Fortean Films

skinny

Antediluvian
Mmmm, I can almost smell it. I just know I'm gonna love it on the big screen. Awesome photography. If the plot stinks I'll just pretend its a docudrama and enjoy the insights from the visuals and the sound. Bring it on!

titch

Justified & Ancient
Mmmm, I can almost smell it. I just know I'm gonna love it on the big screen. Awesome photography. If the plot stinks I'll just pretend its a docudrama and enjoy the insights from the visuals and the sound. Bring it on!
it does look good, but that was on my monitor, on a cinema screen it will look fantastic, its a shame its on such a limited release, the lead actor does a good job with dialogue that's...well almost non existent, in taking us back to the bad old days, the action, when it finally happens is brutal without being explicit and it has some nice archery scenes. 4/5.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
The Shawshank Redemption - exploring the filming locations

acromerrain02.jpg

titch

Justified & Ancient
Tremors : boredom in the cold. take the original, move it to Canada, remove all the fun and there you have it.

Swifty

A few of us went to the cinema to watch the original TREMORS when it was first released, we all slept on Bournemouth beach that night waiting for the giant killer sand worms to attack :)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
A few of us went to the cinema to watch the original TREMORS when it was first released, we all slept on Bournemouth beach that night waiting for the giant killer sand worms to attack :)
Testify, brother! Only I didn't do the beach thing. Read a glowing review in Fear magazine, so was there on opening night and had a great time. Not being entirely aware of what it was about made it all the better. Never saw the straight to video sequels, the original couldn't be bettered.

Swifty

Testify, brother! Only I didn't do the beach thing. Read a glowing review in Fear magazine, so was there on opening night and had a great time. Not being entirely aware of what it was about made it all the better. Never saw the straight to video sequels, the original couldn't be bettered.
I only saw the second one after that. I don't think we missed much. I remember Fear magazine (and The Dark Side and Samhain), I've also still got quite a few old copies of Fangoria and Gorezone in our spare room :).

Swifty

'The Coolest Guy Movie Ever' (the dumbest film title ever) looks pretty good .. apart from the film title. It takes us back to the filming locations of The Great Escape and also chats with some of the locals who played nazis in the film ..

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/80651

Last edited:

Swifty

I was stuck for something to watch tonight so decided to stream Kong - Skull Island. It was released in May last year so I'm late to the party but I quite enjoyed myself. Even though the films old now, just in case ..

****SPOILERS****SPOILERS****SPOILERS****

I thought the premise was interesting. It's 1973 and troops are being withdrawn from Vietnam. Meanwhile, John Goodman is in America talking a senator into letting him go on an expedition to Skull Island by theorising that if they don't, the Russians will get there first ... the senator buckles in an extremely unconvincing moment but then you don't watch Kong films for convincing moments.

Samuel L Jackson leads his fresh from Nam choppers through an electrical storm that's inexplicably permanently surrounding the island but again, it's more fun to ignore that.

We have an English ex SAS hero, they talk him into joining them in a rough bar (where else), he hooks up with an idealistic American female war photographer and they're along for the adventure.

Kong doesn't take kindly to these arseholes dropping explosives on his island and brutally wipes out all the choppers leaving a handful of survivors, military, scientist and civilian to regroup.

We find the island's natives, John C. Riley has been living with them (like Dennis Hopper in Apocalypse Now) since his plane crashed in WW2. Our photographer is in her element until she comes face to face with Kong after wandering away from the native's stronghold, she's not the only one who makes stupid decisions in this film. It didn't occur to me until after the film that there was something about the character that was weird and then it dawned on me: the writer, director or whoever had not felt obliged to made her a female audience pleasing tough modern woman/warrior for a change, she was a human being. In fact, all the characters felt natural.

The final battle/battles between Kong and the final monster was epic, real edge of the seat stuff, the whole film was sprinkled with good set pieces although not too many unlike the last Jurassic Park ..

I'd compare the film to visiting McDonalds .. everyone likes to go to a nice restaurant but sometimes you just really fancy a BigMac and fries instead ..

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I quite liked KSI, but the new monsters were not very pleasing to the eye.

Ermintruder

Existential pixelfixer
La La Land: An old style musical which feels refreshingly new
Although I posted about this previously when the film was orginally-released, can I strongly recommend it again, for a feel-good fun-filled fillup http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/non-fortean-films.58948/page-15#post-1656232

Can I also point-out an obviously-intended set of nomological significances in the movie title (which either you got, or not; or, like me, have slowly-dawned as the days have progressed.

La La Land - a state of semi-pleasureable mental disconnection

La (en Espagñol) means 'the' (as in the oft-dropped definite article in speech, specifically, feminine syntax)
LA is of course an abbreviation for Los Angeles (the Spanish-named city within California, where the film is set)
Land means place/location, but it also means to return to ground/reality
La La La (and repeat) is a common literary/representational affection for singing (for a musical, would've ever thought?)
La..la..land is resonant with stammering/nerves (either stage-fright or a psychomotor nervous condition)

It may mean even more....than just this.

So it is, without doubt in my opinion, one of these clever titles that at first offends the sensibilities of the beholder, only to return benefits & depths of inference and nuance once considered more carefully.

Or, conversely, not- whatever the absolute case may be!

Swifty

Being Frank - The Chris Sievy Story is about to have it's world Premiere in London, I'm really looking forward to seeing this .. oh yes I am .. I really ammm :) etc. etc. It's got to be better than that film with Fassbender playing Frank Sidebottom, that one was bobbins.

"Hi everyone,

I'm delighted to reveal that Being Frank: The Chris Sievey Story has been selected for it's European Premiere at this year's BFI London Film Festival!!!

In case you are wondering why it's showing in London before Manchester, the reason is that the BFI London Film Festival can provide us with the biggest possible launch and publicity that the project could never afford otherwise. As I've said many times, the most important thing for the film is getting the word out about Chris and Frank's fantastic legacy to the biggest audience possible, and a prestigious European Premiere is a big part of that journey.

I've checked carefully with Chris's family about whether this is right, rather than showing it in Timperley first, projected on an old bed sheet (as someone suggested!), but they feel that Chris would have wanted the launch of his life's legacy to be the biggest possible deal it could be. He'd have wanted the big stage and the big attention for his work, and we collectively think this is the right way to achieve that.

I hope as many of you as possible will want to come to the London premiere in Leicester Square or another screening during the festival, and it would be great to see you there, folks.

Thanks as ever for your fantastic support!

Steve

Steve Sullivan

Filmmaker: Being Frank: The Chris Sievey Story"

http://beingfrankmovie.com/

Bonus clip because Stu like this one from memory ..

Last edited:
BlacKkKlansman: A comedy but a very serious one. Director Spike Lee bookends this film with documentary footage, from the 60s at the beginning and ending with with 2017 footage of Neo-Nazis marching through Charlottesville chanting: "The Jews Will Not Rule Over Us" along with an interview with David Duke who features throughout the film.

Ron Stallworth (John David Washington) becomes the first Black undercover officer in the Colorado Police Force. Initially he is sent to infiltrate a meeting where a former Black Panther leader is speaking. Here we come to the first dichotomy: Stallworth very much wants to advance Black Power but he also believes in Law and Order, something which will cause divisions between him and student leader Patrice Dumas (Laura Harrier) who he encounters at the rally.

Stallworth moves on to infiltrate the Klan, fooling both local Klan leaders and Imperial Grand Wizard David Duke (Topher Grace) over the phone. His partner Flip Zimmerman (Adam Driver) takes the part of Ron in actual meetings. Gradually they get more involved in the Klan and uncover a plot to bomb Black targets. Duke may not have been aware of this, make your mind up.

Here we have a history lesson about some dark deeds in the recent past and as the ending shows: they haven't gone away you know. At the times it is only the vein of dark humour which runs through the film which makes it watchable. We come across not just racism but hatred of Jews with one character wanting to make Flip take a lie-detector test to prove that he's not a Jew. Zimmerman's life is constantly under threat through the risk of the exposure of his real identity. Serving members of the military are involved in the conspiracy.

There are racist cops in the film and it shows institutional racism in areas of Law Enforcement but Stallworth and Driver and eventually the Police Chief emerge as the heroes of the film. The identities of the villains are all to clear throughout BlacKkKlansman and they are still there at the post ending documentary coda. Made on a budget of only $15 million this is a tour de force by Spike Lee. 9/10.

I may have seen one of Ramon's printed somewhere recently.
Beast in FT, but my paragraph about how good Olwen Fouéré was ended up being edited out:

More suspicion falls on Pascal and an English detective (Olwen Fouéré) interrogates Moll attempting to shift her evidence. While there is all round good acting in the film, this supporting role by Fouéré is a stand out performance.

Yardie: A powerful tale of life, love and gangsters in Jamaica, a story of vengeance and young lives tainted by violence at an early age. 1973, D's (Ami Amheen) DJ brother is murdered when he tries to bring peace to warring gangs. D is adopted by one of the gang chiefs, King Fox (Sheldon Shepherd) who is also a Reggae producer. Eventually D is sent to London in 1983 as his thirst for revenge is causing problems with another gang. D is also tasked with bringing cocaine to Rico (Stephen Graham), a Jamaican gang boss in Hackney. Seeing that Rico is psychotic, D decides to go independent but remains loyal to King Fox.

The unfolding of this drama, especially in the London scenes, is hampered by very strong Jamaican accents and a form of the Jamaican patois which is difficult to understand. This limits the accessibility of the film and it's potential audience. This is unfortunate because in his debut as director manages some original twists on the gangster fil and the young man seeking vengeance motifs. Subtitles really would have helped here, just as they would in most of Ken Loach's Scottish films.

D meets up with his estranged partner Yvonne (Shantol Jackson) and their child, she becomes a pawn in the resulting war between gangs but D's relationship with them is crucial to himself and to the film's denouement. We see Hackney clubs where D becomes an MC, the shootouts, kidnappings, the music, love, but the past looms over all of it.

A potentially great film weakened by lack of subtitles. 8/10.

Searching: A film of many screens on the big screen, Facetime, youtube, various casts, news channels, email, messaging. A 16 year old girl mysteriously disappears and when her father checks her social media his daughter doesn't deem to be the person he knew. Connections with odd people, money being transferred to accounts which are now closed. A detective is involved in the search and she finds a fake ID the daughter had made by a forger. The father messes up the investigation by getting in a fight with a boy who has taunted him online.

An interesting Social Media/Mystery film which has some good twists and surprises. Good acting from John Cho as the father, Michelle La as the girl and Deborah Messing as the detective. Editing by Nicholas Johnson and Will Merrick is just as important as the job of the director Aneesh Chaganty (who co-wrote the screenplay) in this film. 7/10.

Black 47: George Bernard Shaw referred to the Famine as "the great starvation" rather than "the great hunger" because food was being exported from Ireland in 1847. This fact causes an existential crisis for a young British soldier (Barry Keoghan) who cannot countenance the idea of people starving to death while soldiers and police guard foodstuffs bound for export. In this bleak film directed by Lance Daly the camera pans across the desolate landscape of Connemara, stoney fields and hills, with the sick, dead and starving Irish by the side of trails, living in makeshift shelters after being evicted. Cinematographer Declan Quinn captures these outdoor scenes with a washed out filter and indoor dark lit by flickering lights. Never before has a guttering candle been used to such effect.

Martin Feeney (James Frencheville) has deserted from the Connaught Rangers in Afghanistan, returning to his home he finds the roof is gone and a pig is stabled in the ruins by a rent collector. His mother has died of the fever and his brother was hanged for stabbing a bailiff. Coming across an eviction of some of his relatives he intervenes and is arrested by the Irish Constabulary. They think he is an ordinary soldier but he had survived for years fighting Afghan warriors. He overpowers a guard, arms himself and in the ensuing fight kills six constables and escapes.

Hannah (Hugo Weaving) is a police inspector who killed a well connected prisoner during interrogation; however he had served with Feeney in Afghanistan and is now offered a pardon if he will track him down. He is accompanied by an arrogant English Captain (Freddie Fox) on the journey to Connemara. There they are joined by Keoghan and set off on horseback. They soon find a judge hanging from his chambers window, despatched by Feeney. Further on they find the rent collector decapitated, his head replaced by that of a pig and his own head on a stake in the ruined Feeney family home. Feeney is out to kill all of those who played a part in the deaths of his family.

This film is really a revenge Western set to the background of the Famine. But it very much in the mode of Australian Westerns with constables in pursuit accompanied by native collaborators. Conneely is an interpreter for the posse but is very much an enigmatic character, a raconteur who hopes to get the makings of a great story and a song to retell. Hannah also has mixed feelings about his task, Feeney had saved his life in Afghanistan. Perhaps the only cardboard character in this film is Fox who comes across as a sneering toff officer. Even Jim Broadbent who plays the Landlord has a more rounded back story.

While Feeney at times comes across as a 19th Century John Wicks the drama is believable as he is driven by a thirst not just for revenge but for justice. This particular story might not have happened but it could/should have. Feeney is the Archetype that flowered in Tom Barry and Dan Breen. This is truly a 19th Century Wind That Shakes The Barley.
A powerful tale with many scenes which will scald your heart and some extremely violent episodes. 9/10

Swifty

Skyscraper

This film probably wouldn't exist without DIEHARD but it's been over three decades now since Bruno saved his skyscraper so perhaps we should let that go. This time we're in Japan, the skyscraper in question is 4 times the height of The Empire State Building (sensitive of the film makers not to compare this fictional building to The World Trade Centre although there is repeated 'two thirds of the way up' footage of the burning section in this film as a comparison) ..

Dwayne Johnson was a special ops man who vowed not to use a gun again after a small hostage scene went badly wrong .. 10 years later, he's married the nurse that saved him and he's become used to his prosthetic leg and they have adorable Jurassic Park style kids ..

He hooks up with one of his old special ops buddies who finds him work as a final say security over seer .. and then things go wrong without spoiling the plot (although the plot twist were obvious, I just went with it) .. our hero goes full on Yippe Kye Aye .. there's lots of epic Towering Inferno scenes ... the double crossing baddie is feeble and English of course as is always the way in love letter to the 80's Hollywood films .. the other baddies obviously have Eastern European accents so that's OK then. There's also an Enter The Dragon room of mirrors scene, we know there's going to be one in the first ten minutes because we're shown the room of mirrors in the first ten minutes ..

8 out of 10 .. it loses 1 point for being a blatant DIEHARD 'homage' and another point because his Mrs doesn't punch a weasel journalist in the face at the end .. other than that, engaging cheesy manipulative switch your brain off cliff hanger fun .. that's meant to be a compliment.

Last edited:
Skyscraper

This film probably wouldn't exist without DIEHARD but it's been over three decades now since Bruno saved his skyscraper so perhaps we should let that go. This time we're in Japan, the skyscraper in question is 4 times the height of The Empire State Building (sensitive of the film makers not to compare this fictional building to The World Trade Centre although there is repeated 'two thirds of the way up' footage of the burning section in this film as a comparison) ..

Dwayne Johnson was a special ops man who vowed not to use a gun again after a small hostage scene went badly wrong .. 10 years later, he's married the nurse that saved him and he's become used to his prosthetic leg and they have adorable Jurassic Park style kids ..

He hooks up with one of his old special ops buddies who finds him work as a final say security over seer .. and then things go wrong without spoiling the plot (although the plot twist were obvious, I just went with it) .. our hero goes full on Yippe Kye Aye .. there's lots of epic Towering Inferno scenes ... the double crossing baddie is feeble and English of course as is always the way in love letter to the 80's Hollywood films .. the other baddies obviously have Eastern European accents so that's OK then. There's also an Enter The Dragon room of mirrors scene, we know there's going to be one in the first ten minutes because we're shown the room of mirrors in the first ten minutes ..

8 out of 10 .. it loses 1 point for being a blatant DIEHARD 'homage' and another point because his Mrs doesn't punch a weasel journalist in the face at the end .. other than that, engaging cheesy manipulative switch your brain off cliff hanger fun .. that's meant to be a compliment.
I missed that one, sounds like fun.

Swifty

I missed that one, sounds like fun.
It's fun like MEG was fun .. keeping the tradition of 80's vibe cheese, there's no surprise in it and I didn't want any. I enjoyed it. The visual F/X are excellent.