Non-Fortean Films

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Someone found an Australian Charles Bronson doppelganger a few years back and the trailer for the new film is in this link .. the lookalike is uncanny, I've no idea going by the trailer if the films going to be anywhere near as good as DEATH WISH, probably not but here's the trailer for DEATH KISS anyway ..

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/80893

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I saw that trailer too! He looks the part, but the voice is off. Read a couple of reviews out of curiosity and they say it's awful (has an Alex Jones-style character in it - the real Chuck wouldn't be amused by that).

A Simple Favour: Dark Comedy/Social Satire/Mystery. Stephanie Smothers (Anna Kendrick) is a mum on speed, she volunteers for all of the tasks at her child's Kindergarten, she is a great cook, even has her own Vlog on which she also gives our toy-making tips and recipes. Bit passive-aggressive though. She is smitten though by the high-powered executive Emily Nelson (Blake Lively) and desperately wants to become her friend after their children have a playdate. Emily introduces her to strong Martinis and gets Steph to reveal some dark secrets.

Steph agrees to collect Emily's child from school but there is no contact from Emily for days. She calls Emily's husband Seann (Henry Golding) who is abroad he returns and they contact the police. Strange things start to emerge, Is Emily the person they thought she was? Steph is attracted to Sean as the plot twists and turns.

Some great dialogue and lampooning of pushy parents, the fashion industry and Vlogging in general. A crazed artist, arson, and many other oddities are uncovered by Steph as she turns private detective in order to solve the mystery of Emily's past and her disappearance. Great soundtrack (mostly in French) from POisson Rouge to Crier Tout Bas to Comment Te Dire Adieu to Bonnie & Clyde; all appropriately synched to scenes. Standout performances by Kendrick and Lively but Golding just doesn't shine. Bashir Salahuddin is under-utilised as a perceptive detective.

The script by Jessica Sharzer certainly provides laughs and incisive satire; Paul Feig as director delivers an effective Comedy/Thriller with leanings towards Noir but the film has perhaps one or two twists too many to be a classic. 8/10.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Mary Poppins sequel.

Was considering watching it with Miss Yith, but I'm not sure I can stomach the leading actress's attempt at upper-class accent or the father's moustache.

Just saw an interview. She's a Brit who's picking up an American accent trying to sound like a 1950s newsreel. She is from an upper-middle-class background, but she doesn't have the voice you'd expect from her family.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/10/is-emily-blunt-a-better-american-than-a-brit.html

On the other side of the ledger, I like the old-style animation.

Last edited:
Mary Poppins sequel.

Was considering watching it with Miss Yith, but I'm not sure I can stomach the leading actress's attempt at upper-class accent or the father's moustache.

Just saw an interview. She's a Brit who's picking up an American accent trying to sound like a 1950s newsreel. She is from an upper-middle-class background, but she doesn't have the voice you'd expect from her family.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/10/is-emily-blunt-a-better-american-than-a-brit.html

An ageing Dick Van Dyke falls off the roof.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Mary Poppins sequel.

She has a name you know, she's Emily Blunt, popular and well-liked Brit actress. She always sounded posh English to me (apart from when she puts on an American accent). Maybe not Julie Andrews posh, but Julie makes The Queen sound like Barbara Windsor.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I didn't recognise her name and forgot it while posting. I suppose I could have edited it in after I found that link...

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Just finished watching the original Death Wish film (rewatching inspired by a review of the latest Bruce Willis version). I hadn't realised that Christopher Guest has a minor role:

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 02.52.30.png

Swifty

Mary Poppins sequel.

That actually looks quite good. I'll be watching that one.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Just finished watching the original Death Wish film (rewatching inspired by a review of the latest Bruce Willis version). I hadn't realised that Christopher Guest has a minor role:

View attachment 12261
Followed up with Mr. Majestyk.

Never seen before, but Bronson's stoic melon farmer was surprisingly watchable.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Followed up with Mr. Majestyk.

Never seen before, but Bronson's stoic melon farmer was surprisingly watchable.
Bronson's unexpectedly funny and chatty in Mr Majestyk, it's a really decent little action thriller. Plus it spawned this famous advert:

titch

Justified & Ancient
this may not be as rubbish as i thought it would be, at least the Scottish army look like medieval warriors, instead of tramps wrapped in raggedy tartan, like that awful pile of poo that shall not be named.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Happy End

A great French film about an affluent dysfunctional family, featuring several generations, set in Calais with the refugee crisis as backdrop.

The granddaughter's mother is mysteriously poisoned & she's forced to live with her father & new wife [and baby] in a large mansion owned by her grandfather with oncoming Alzheimers. All the family members have skeletons & issues which emerge. After a strained start, grandfather & granddaughter become closer.

It doesn't spell out what's going on & you're left to figure it out yourself as it goes along. Some scenes you're left wondering what was happening until it falls into place later. Black comedic moments & an excellent cast - Isabelle Hupert, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Toby Jones, Fantine Harduin as the granddaughter is terrific.

No CGI whatsoever & quite slow in places. I really liked it.

First Man: Death is ever present, other astronauts, test pilots even Neil Armstrong (Ryan Gosling)himself faces it several times. But perhaps the most important death is that of Armstrong's daughter Karen, he hasn't grieved properly at his and his families loss, doesn't talk about her. But she is always present in his mind. This affects his relationship with his wife Janet (Claire Foy), son Rick and the other astronauts. The frail human Armstrong is revealed as well ad the test pilot, engineer and astronaut. The toll on his family and the families of other astronauts is also explored. While it is very much a film about Armstrong, the fact that it was an effort involving thousand of people is acknowledged.

Opening in 1961, Armstrong goes to 140,000 feet in an X-15 jet, but bounces off the atmosphere on re-entry and barely regains control. Another two astronauts die in a plane crash. There are problems with Armstrong's Gemini mission and contact is lost for a time. This incident causes Janet to forcefully confront NASA officials about how the astronaut's families are denied information. Three more astronauts are killed in the Apollo One fire and Armstrong is injured testing a mock up of the lunar landing module. Janet confronts neil and demands that he talk to their sons about the possibility that he might not return from the moon mission.

We are also constantly reminded of the lack of computers which we take for granted. Astronauts have to make their own calculations at the last moment, their lives depended on it. A great story about a voyage beyond the sunset and it's effects on human lives. 8/10.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Was watching Bell Bottom George as in George Formby was surprised to see some of it
was filmed round here in the river Wyre and Fleetwood dock and harbor, the first give
away was the FD registration on the fishing smacks sales FD being the registration code for Fleetwood.
Quite a lot of Funny Bones with Oliver Read and the TV series Safe House were done
in the same area.

Last edited:
Cold War: A love story set across 15 years and many countries. The film opens in 1949 with Wiktor (Tomas Kol) and Irena (Agata Kulesza) collecting folk songs and music in the mountains of Southern Poland. Along with administrator Lech (Borys Szyc) they set up an Institute to form a Folk Song and Dance Troupe. During the auditions for students Wiktor notices a student, Zula (Joanna Kulig), who though not technically a perfect singer has something special. Two years later They become lovers and admits that she has spied on him for Lech (she is still on probation from prison), a party hack. Lech has already persuaded the Troupe to include songs praising Stalin into their folk song repertoire. When the Troupe visits East Berlin Zula agrees to defect to the West with Viktor, but changes her mind.

Over the following 12 years they meet at intervals, pursuing a love which never seems to properly work out. Two artists, occasionally working together even living together in Paris, striving to find that perfect synthesis of love and music. Wiktor makes great sacrifices to try and be with Zula but he doesn't fully appreciate the losses she also suffers from pursuing their seemingly doomed relationship. Zula would always be scarred by her early life experiences and her doubts that their relationship could ever work. Great performances from Kulesza and Kol as the star-crossed lovers and Szyc as the scheming bureaucrat who carries a torch for Zula. Filmed in sparkling monochrome, director Paweł Pawlikowski delivers a veritable saga in Cold War's 85 minute running time. 8/10.

Last edited:

skinny

Antediluvian
First Man: Death is ever present, other astronauts, test pilots even Neil Armstrong (Ryan Gosling)himself faces it several times. But perhaps the most important death is that of Armstrong's daughter Karen, he hasn't grieved properly at his and his families loss, doesn't talk about her. But she is always present in his mind. This affects his relationship with his wife Janet (Claire Foy), son Rick and the other astronauts. The frail human Armstrong is revealed as well ad the test pilot, engineer and astronaut. The toll on his family and the families of other astronauts is also explored. While it is very much a film about Armstrong, the fact that it was an effort involving thousand of people is acknowledged.

Opening in 1961, Armstrong goes to 140,000 feet in an X-15 jet, but bounces off the atmosphere on re-entry and barely regains control. Another two astronauts die in a plane crash. There are problems with Armstrong's Gemini mission and contact is lost for a time. This incident causes Janet to forcefully confront NASA officials about how the astronaut's families are denied information. Three more astronauts are killed in the Apollo One fire and Armstrong is injured testing a mock up of the lunar landing module. Janet confronts neil and demands that he talk to their sons about the possibility that he might not return from the moon mission.

We are also constantly reminded of the lack of computers which we take for granted. Astronauts have to make their own calculations at the last moment, their lives depended on it. A great story about a voyage beyond the sunset and it's effects on human lives. 8/10.
Going Friday, so not reading this but liked for noticing the film. It should be promoted approaching the 50th anny.

Swifty

A feel good anecdote driven documentary about Bill Murray's habit of wandering up to strangers for fun. There's only two types of people, people who love Bill Murray and dead people. I can't wait to see this ..