Non-Fortean Films

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Yeah watched it at the cinema. Being a War Thuder World of Tanks fan, I liked the bit fighting the Tiger. It wasn't the greatest movie but deffo worth watching.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Wild Card, ok hard boiled thriller set in Las Vegas, Jason Stratham with good supporting roles by Stanley Tucci and Anne Heche.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Hunger Games - Mockingjay Part 1

Not bad at all, but suffers from 'Part 1' syndrome - no real tension at all, and a definite lack of pacing. Such a shame as I really enjoyed the first two instalments. I'd much rather a four-hour epic finale than a two-parter.

I've got the novels somewhere, I really should read them.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Hunger Games - Mockingjay Part 1

Not bad at all, but suffers from 'Part 1' syndrome - no real tension at all, and a definite lack of pacing. Such a shame as I really enjoyed the first two instalments. I'd much rather a four-hour epic finale than a two-parter.

I've got the novels somewhere, I really should read them.
It'll be interesting to see how the last movie handles an act of sickening violence on a massive scale in the last book and still keeps the certificate PG-13/12A.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Nice to see Honeymoon get a decent review in the latest FT. Low budget weirdness, very well done, though it gets so weird (or as much as they could afford) that not everyone will go with it. I liked it as a generous slice of paranoia horror with the minimum of characters.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I know I keep recommending Fortean films on the non-Fortean thread, but What We Do in the Shadows is more of a comedy that happens to have vampires in it. It's from New Zealand, and like a vampire This is Spinal Tap in its humour, really funny in places. Recommended if you fancy a good laugh and don't mind the occasional gory bit.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I suppose everything is Fortean if you think about it ..

This film's for Rynner ... Bubba Ho-Tep .... with Bruce Campbell ..

It's good and off beat, a bit like you Rynner ;) ... Elvis in an 'old people's' home .. battling an Egyptian spirit .. with John F. Kennedy ...

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Going back a bit to the 70s, Capricorn One, with two Mr Streisands battling NASA to uncover their fake Mars landing plot. Good fun conspiracy from the decade the subject really took off, plus some incredible plane stunts at the end. And for the hell of it, Telly Savalas!

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Going back a bit to the 70s, Capricorn One, with two Mr Streisands battling NASA to uncover their fake Mars landing plot. Good fun conspiracy from the decade the subject really took off, plus some incredible plane stunts at the end. And for the hell of it, Telly Savalas!
Great film.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
The quaint new Woody Allen movie Magic in the Moonlight is interesting because it's basically a romance between Richard Dawkins and Sally Morgan. Being a Woody production, Emma Stone (Sal) is about thirty years younger than Colin Firth (Dickie).

Swifty

Reaction score
A Spanish film that won awards in 1972, 'The Phone Box' was a whispered about phenomena amongst the rogue traders during the video nasty years over a decade later and so was traded with equal respect alongside more famous titles ... if you've got a spare 36 minutes, this is a masterpiece of visual story telling .. I feel Rod Sirling and Alfred Hitchcock would have approved :cool:

Last edited:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
A Spanish film that won awards in 1972, 'The Phone Box' was a whispered about phenomena amongst the rogue traders during the video nasty years over a decade later and so was traded with equal respect alongside more famous titles ... if you've got a spare 36 minutes, this is a masterpiece of visual story telling .. I feel Rod Sirling and Alfred Hitchcock would have approved :cool:

Excellent film. First saw it when I was a kid, haunted me.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Same here, caught it on Channel 4 one Saturday afternoon knowing nothing about it, and thinking it was a jolly little thing - then you get to the end. Nope, not jolly at all.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Anyone for a Swedish comedy about an all-girl teenage punk band from the 80s?

Then check out We Are the Best!, here's the trailer:

The trailer is OK, but it doesn't show you how hilarious it is. You have to watch it, I suppose.

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Cutie and the Boxer

Not usually into documentaries about artists, but found this quite touching and definitely worth watching. Noriko Shinohara is still a stunning looking lady.

Felt very sorry for the son though and I think he has been damaged by his exposure to his parents alcohol fueled parties.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I felt sorry for all three, the parents had pursued this career in art that had left them broke and for what? If it hadn't been for the doc they'd have been completely forgotten. What would have happened if the chance meeting between Cutie and the Boxer had never taken place? She might have been a lot more content. The film left me with mixed feelings.

Graylien

As if!
Reaction score
I watched Steven Soderbergh's recent Liberace flick Behind the Candleabra last night. (I've become slightly obsessed by Liberace since finding a triple CD compilation of his in the 99p store. Yep, irony.) It was a thoroughly entertaining look at the bizarreness of a life of fame. Some great outfits too! :)

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Just watched Gladiator again, Ridley Scott's last great film?

Swifty

Reaction score
I really want to be excited about this and I'll reserve judgement until I watch it .. a National Lampoon's Vacation reboot except this time Clark's son Randy is all grown up and tries to re-create that trip to Wally World ... Mr and Mrs Griswold senior are in the trailer ..... we at least get a little bit more Chevy Chase as Clark in this clip. Fingers crossed.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/71409

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I really want to be excited about this and I'll reserve judgement until I watch it .. a National Lampoon's Vacation reboot except this time Clark's son Randy is all grown up and tries to re-create that trip to Wally World ... Mr and Mrs Griswold are in the trailer ..... we at least get a little bit more Chevy Chase as Clark in this clip. Fingers crossed.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/71409
haha a bit crap but deffo worth a watch!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Only if they re-use Kenny Loggin's Holiday Road song ... or I'm going to get judgemental
Kenny Loggins was Footloose/Lindsay Buckingham was Vacation. Anyway, the trailer looks crude and I didn't laugh once. Might give it a miss unless it's Chevy wrapped in the rug on top of the car.

Swifty

Reaction score
Kenny Loggins was Footloose/Lindsay Buckingham was Vacation. Anyway, the trailer looks crude and I didn't laugh once. Might give it a miss unless it's Chevy wrapped in the rug on top of the car.
Lindsey Buckingham also composed a tune for The Breakfast Club ... John Hughes (RIP) was clearly fond of him.

A live cover version:

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
Flash Gordon Conquers The Universe, the full 1940 film starring Buster Crabbe :cool: