Non-Fortean Films

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Neil Labukes's film In The Company Of Men was extremely controversial when it was released in '97, cinemas that showed it were picketed by feminists in New York. The story follows two male work colleagues who are angry about women in the workplace, one of them (Arron Ekhart) is an especially nasty piece of work who devises a plan for them to both date the same woman without letting her know to test how honest she is before they are to both finally cruelly dump her .. just because they can for a power trip.

This film was described as a 'black comedy' when it was released although I'd describe it as a social horror, things get out of control for the three of them with some mind blowing twists in the story. Watch this one with caution, you won't come away smiling from watching it, it's a study of cruelty although it is brilliantly made.

Neil LaBute made an impact on the film world by being an edgelord who "dared" to put women and the disabled in their place, i.e. under white men like him. I always saw his films as the most awful, smugger than smug, entitled bullshit, so imagine my delight when he remade The Wicker Man as a "beat up women"-fest and it was lambasted as one of the worst films of all time. Now nobody takes him seriously. What goes around comes around.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
How about a film I delighted in as a child, but which no-one seems to have heard of today: Sammy Going South.

Young Sammy, aged 10, is orphaned during a bombing raid on Port Said during the Suez Crisis of 1956. He decides to make his own way from Egypt to South Africa to join his only living relative, an aunt.

On the way he has numerous adventures and encounters, including becoming the protégé of grumpy old diamond smuggler Edward G. Robinson. Harry H. "Steptoe" Corbett also puts in an appearance.

I must have seen this film in the cinema two or three times as a kid; when I found out recently that it was available on DVD, I pounced without a second thought.

Highly recommended for adventurous kids of all ages.

maximus otter
Yes, a really good adventure yarn, one of those 60s "on a journey" movies that is a cult movie among those who saw it as kids. Robinson is particularly good - oh wait, he teaches the kid to shoot, doesn't he? I'm seeing a pattern here!

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Neil LaBute made an impact on the film world by being an edgelord who "dared" to put women and the disabled in their place, i.e. under white men like him. I always saw his films as the most awful, smugger than smug, entitled bullshit, so imagine my delight when he remade The Wicker Man as a "beat up women"-fest and it was lambasted as one of the worst films of all time. Now nobody takes him seriously. What goes around comes around.
He's capable of making feel good films like Nurse Betty, he's just not interested in making them. I've not seen The Wicker Man remake because I'm not that interested in it to be honest, I'm indifferent to the original. I'd agree with this IMDB write up of his work, his work is definitely not sexist because he exposes the ugliness of all day to day people, the male characters in his stuff never end up looking good either. The fact that he's a white man is irrelevant to me. His film making reminds me of Dianne Arbuss's approach to photography in that she was also obsessed with the ugliness of the world.

I wouldn't want to hang out with a Neil LaBute 'fan' but I also get the feeling that neither would he.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001438/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I'm not so sure, he seems to have been alt-right before the term was invented. See Lakeview Terrace, which tells us black people are the real racists, not white people like YOU thought, or Your Friends and Neighbours, where the alpha male tells his pals the best sex he ever had was when he and some friends gang-raped a man in a locker room. LaBute has a very unhealthy attitude to praising alpha males. The Wicker Man is basically, these feminists are well out of hand - we must stop them!!!?!1!!!

He claims to be telling it like it is - just like any number of reactionary bores on Twitter. I'm glad I've not met many of his protagonists in real life, if he is purporting to be accurate to human nature. Some of us have a sense of decency, after all.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I'm not so sure, he seems to have been alt-right before the term was invented. See Lakeview Terrace, which tells us black people are the real racists, not white people like YOU thought, or Your Friends and Neighbours, where the alpha male tells his pals the best sex he ever had was when he and some friends gang-raped a man in a locker room. LaBute has a very unhealthy attitude to praising alpha males. The Wicker Man is basically, these feminists are well out of hand - we must stop them!!!?!1!!!

He claims to be telling it like it is - just like any number of reactionary bores on Twitter. I'm glad I've not met many of his protagonists in real life, if he is purporting to be accurate to human nature. Some of us have a sense of decency, after all.
I agree with all of that, his stuff isn't nice but it does have the balls to show people being like that. No one is decent in his films, his work is like a filthy though invading a clean mind .. I've only seen his first three films, normally I'd write him off as just a 'shock jock' but he understands the three act structure so is also traditional in his story telling. I don't want the world he portrays either but sadly it does also exist and he doesn't hide from that.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Mid90s: A coming of age drama set in 1990s Los Angeles which is far edgier and darker than is usual in this genre. While Stevie (Sunny Suljic) looks like Kevin from The Wonder Years, an undersized 13 year old, his life is somewhat different. This mid-90s Summer will be a time of trauma and taboo breaking for him as he is introduced to drink drugs and girls. Stevie is bullied and beaten by his dysfunctional older brother Ian (Lucas Hedges) his single Mom (Katherine Waterston) can be overprotective in ways but ignores this abuse. So Steve seeks the companionship of kids who hang out at a Skateboard shop.

The life of an aspiring skateboarder ain't easy, especially when you have to learn from scratch. Some funny scenes as Stevie begins his faltering practice on the board, many falls. He soon fits, the new guy, it means the youngest member of the gang, Ruben (Gio Galicia) moves up a step, but Stevie soon becomes the favourite of the charismatic leader (and skateboard shop worker) Ray (Na-kel Smith), making Ruben jealous. Fights, drunkenness, drug use, all of these have an effect on Stevie and enrages his mother. But these kids aren't evil, they talk to homeless people, they worry when some overuse drugs or drink too much. Smith is especially convincing in the role of Ray, role-model, mentor guardian.

This Summer of decadence isn't presented as an idyl or an ideal lifestyle, the consequences of crazy behaviour is illustrated all too well. But neither is Mid90s scaremongering or moralistic, it just lays out the realities of a certain time and liminal space. Director and writer Jonah Hill has delivered a worthy first effort. 8/10.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I agree with all of that, his stuff isn't nice but it does have the balls to show people being like that. No one is decent in his films, his work is like a filthy though invading a clean mind .. I've only seen his first three films, normally I'd write him off as just a 'shock jock' but he understands the three act structure so is also traditional in his story telling. I don't want the world he portrays either but sadly it does also exist and he doesn't hide from that.
It's the relish he does it with, that proud feeling he's getting away with something, that sticks in the craw.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Wild Rose: A storming film about Rose-Lynn (Jessie Buckley) an aspiring Glasgow Country singer. And it's definitely Country, she'll get annoyed if mention Country & Western. Rose-lynn is not someone to annoy or make angry, we meet after she is released from prison, electronically tagged. She swiftly assaults the singer who has replaced her in the Glasgow Grand Ole Opry and throws a drink over the manager. Rose is more than just feisty, she is talented but violent when she doesn't get her way. Her mother Marion (Julie Walters) has looked after Rose's children and still has to pick up the pieces when Rose inevitably breaks promises to them through getting drunk or practising singing. Rose's unreliability is as central to the film as is her aspiration to sing in the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville. Rose works as a cleaner for Susannah (Sophie Okonedo) who through contacts arranges for her to meet the Country DJ Bob Harris (himself). She almost blows that by drinking on the train to London and losing her coat and bags.

This is a powerful film but a disturbing one. At times you will find it difficult to like Rose but you will will likely end up loving her, warts and all. She wants to use her talent to become someone, to create a better life not just for herself but for her children. There is a great scene where she literally storms the stage at the Glasgow Grand Ole Opry and takes her old job as singer back. Jessie Buckley performs all of Rose's songs and her voice would scald your heart as she belts out original songs like "Alright To Be All Wrong (The Dreamer's Song)" and"Glasgow (No Place Like Home)". Great acting also by Julie Walters as the long suffering Marion. Don't miss this heart wrenching musical drama directed by Tom Harper from a screenplay by Nicole Taylor. 9/10.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
The White Crow: The story of Rudolph Nureyev's defection to the West with flashbacks to his earlier years. A tale of talent, ambition and arrogance, Rudi (Oleg Ivenko) always he was going to become the greatest Ballet Dancer since Nijinsky, indeed he is shown winning the Nijinsky prize in Paris. Though talented he didn't get to attend a first class Ballet school until he was 17, even then he clashed with his teachers until finally coming under the tutelage of Alexander Pushkin (Ralph Fiennes). Pushkin brought out the real Nureyev, who though still not perfect in technique, told tales through his form of dance.

Arriving in Paris in June 1961, Rudi takes the city by storm, he disturbs his KGB handler by mixing with French dancers and going to parties. his developing relationship with Clara Saint (Adèle Exarchopoulos) causes the agent to fear that Nureyev might defect. Even though the outcome is known this film literally works as a thriller. I was spellbound as the ensuing drama unfolded. Interspersing this story are scenes of Rudi's training as he put in extra hours to catch up, his hard childhood, his always supportive mother. He was born on the trans-Siberian Express leading to his lifelong fascination with trains. Ivenko is a truly great actor and dancer as he re-enacts some of Nureyev's early triumphant performances. Ralph Fiennes as director has delivered a fascinating tale of Nureyev's first 23 years but credit must also go to the vast army of seamstresses choreographers, set decorators et al. A film where the Art Department is truly important. 9/10.

skinny

Class of 1984
Reaction score
While I'm in this thread, let me recommend The Rider - tale of a rodeo rider in the south USA who can't reach his dreams after a fall. Very interesting casting and acting. I was fixated to the end. Watch it.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
While I'm in this thread, let me recommend The Rider - tale of a rodeo rider in the south USA who can't reach his dreams after a fall. Very interesting casting and acting. I was fixated to the end. Watch it.
Have you seen The Sisters Brothers? Great Western.

skinny

Class of 1984
Reaction score
No. Never heard of it. Have you a review up here?

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Dragged Across Concrete: A hard-boiled neo-noir crime thriller. Slow moving at times but this allows the plot to develop and background details are filled in. No cardboard characters, all have a backstory or at least the appearance of such. Very much in the vein of director/writer S. Craig Zaher's previous film Bone Tomahawk. Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughan are two detectives, suspended after their roughing up of a suspect is videoed and released online. Desperate for money, Gibson persuades Vaughan to go over to the darkside and rob a money from a crook. Things don't work out so smoothly though. A ninja-like psycho-killer complete with facemask and night-goggles murders people for chump change. A newly released convict, Tony Kittles, returns to a life of crime to support his family and he is recruited for a big job.

These threads will eventually coalesce in a grand guignol orgy of violence and mass slaughter. The slow build up to this long conflagration is worth the ride. Car chases, a bank robbery, a three-sided shootout, hostaking. This is an extremely violent film. Good support from Laurie Holden as Gibson's wife and Jordyn Olsen as his his daughter, Fred Melamed is wonderful in a cameo as a bank manager with Don Johnson as a detective lieutenant. A dark vein of humour runs throughout the film and it's 159 minute running time is justified. Zahler delivers another gem. 8.5/10.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Styx: A tale of the cruel sea and even crueler life. Rike (Susanna Wolff) takes a break from her traumatic work life as an emergency doctor in Berlin. Getting away from it all she is sailing her yacht from Gibraltar to Ascension Island, to visit the artificial jungle designed by Charles Darwin. A storm interrupts her journey and when it has passed she spots a trawler adrift, overloaded with distressed people. Contacting the Coastguard she is told that help will be dispatched and to keep away from the trawler as her yacht is too small to assist those onboard. The refugees start to jump overboard and one boy makes it to her boat.nA traumatic tale then unfolds. Her very presence is causing chaos as people jump into the water and drown. She can barely care for the boy, Kingsley (Gedion Oduor Wekesa).

One person faced with unenviable choices, hard to ignore nearby suffering but aware that your yacht will be swamped if you approach the trawler. Waiting for help to arrive but frustrated by delays. Wondering how seriously the plight of the refugees is being taken. We see the sea in all of its fury during the storm as Rike has to stay at the helm but also when i is calm but bot becalmed. She then reads her books about Ascension, swims and sunbathes. This is literally the calm before the storm of encountering the trawler. A film which left me silent and a bit stunned as the end credits went up. Director/co-writer Wolfgang Fischer relates a heart scalding story about one person encountering the reality of the fate which faces so many who flee conflicts or who are just seeking a better life. 8/10

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.google.co.kr/amp/s/www....8134270/sonic-the-hedgehog-film-poster-design

A live-action Sonic the Hedgehog film for November next year?

No, I don't know why either.
First image.

Dr._Eggman_Sonic_X.jpg

g635lhkchav21.jpg

Note: there is speculation that the lack of rotundity and the paucity of 'tache could be because this is Doctor Ovi Kintobor, who later fused with a rotten egg in a laboratory accident to become Doctor Ivo Robotnik, dubbed derisively by Sonic 'Eggman', a nickname he later assumed. Or it could be a dull and rubbish depiction which does not bode well for the film.

Sonic lore.

Deep.

Last edited:

Ogdred Weary

Resurrectionist
Reaction score
First image.

View attachment 16639

View attachment 16640

Note: there is speculation that the lack of rotundity and the paucity of 'tache could be because this is Doctor Ovi Kintobor, who later fused with a rotten egg in a laboratory accident to become Doctor Ovi Kintobor, dubbed derisively by Sonic 'Eggman', a nickname he later assumed. Or it could be a dull and rubbish depiction which does not bode well for the film.

Sonic lore.

Deep.
There was a poster some time ago, is it me or are those legs things of unutterable horror?

Sonic-Movie.jpg

skinny

Class of 1984
Reaction score
Styx: A tale of the cruel sea and even crueler life. Rike (Susanna Wolff) takes a break from her traumatic work life as an emergency doctor in Berlin. Getting away from it all she is sailing her yacht from Gibraltar to Ascension Island, to visit the artificial jungle designed by Charles Darwin. A storm interrupts her journey and when it has passed she spots a trawler adrift, overloaded with distressed people. Contacting the Coastguard she is told that help will be dispatched and to keep away from the trawler as her yacht is too small to assist those onboard. The refugees start to jump overboard and one boy makes it to her boat.nA traumatic tale then unfolds. Her very presence is causing chaos as people jump into the water and drown. She can barely care for the boy, Kingsley (Gedion Oduor Wekesa).

One person faced with unenviable choices, hard to ignore nearby suffering but aware that your yacht will be swamped if you approach the trawler. Waiting for help to arrive but frustrated by delays. Wondering how seriously the plight of the refugees is being taken. We see the sea in all of its fury during the storm as Rike has to stay at the helm but also when i is calm but bot becalmed. She then reads her books about Ascension, swims and sunbathes. This is literally the calm before the storm of encountering the trawler. A film which left me silent and a bit stunned as the end credits went up. Director/co-writer Wolfgang Fischer relates a heart scalding story about one person encountering the reality of the fate which faces so many who flee conflicts or who are just seeking a better life. 8/10
Perhaps analogous to the real stress of the swamping of Europe by a mass movement of refugees from all points south. Caring for their plight but helpless / unwilling to do anything.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
First image.

View attachment 16639

View attachment 16640

Note: there is speculation that the lack of rotundity and the paucity of 'tache could be because this is Doctor Ovi Kintobor, who later fused with a rotten egg in a laboratory accident to become Doctor Ovi Kintobor, dubbed derisively by Sonic 'Eggman', a nickname he later assumed. Or it could be a dull and rubbish depiction which does not bode well for the film.

Sonic lore.

Deep.

In the old days he was called Dr Robotnik. Which is Kintobor backwards. And Ovi means egg.

You're right, this is deep.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
My four-year-old has been at shows with more convincing costumed entertainers than this:

Screen_Shot_2019_04_30_at_9.00.36_AM.png.jpeg

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
In the old days he was called Dr Robotnik. Which is Kintobor backwards. And Ovi means egg.

You're right, this is deep.
Typo in my post--that was precisely what I was saying (or not saying but trying to say).