Non-Fortean Films

Ogdred Weary

Fhtagntastic.
That looks dire in every way!

The actual Sonic character looked horrible.

And why is Gangsta's Paradise being used--am I missing something?
Gangsta's Paradise is a popular music hall song on the Hit Parade, it will bring all the children to the Cinematograph to enjoy this moving picture.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
To fool the audience into thinking the last 25 years never happened and that Sonic the Hedgehog is somehow still relevant?
I agree and so does Clint .. and that trailer looks shit .. and Jim Carey is playing the same 'zany' character again ..
aclint.gif

Keith peace

Devoted Cultist
Lovely chat here from Mark Kermode with Malcolm McDowell on such topics as A Clockwork Orange, O Lucky Man! (and most amusingly) Caligula:
Malcy

Mr McDowell is a treasure. Why not Sir Malcolm?
@GNC now there's a film!!
'O lucky man'
I also loved malcolm as hg wells in time after time..great actor..

Lizard King

Ephemeral Spectre
@Lizard King ,top notch film that has me watching it every other few months to notice all the subtle devices it employs to render the message..
I watched it having no prior knowledge of it. I though it may be a run of the mill gangster type deal. Boy was I wrong!I just sat afterwards thinking WTF!I couldn't shake off the unsettled feeling I had. I googled it straight after and read an interview with Ben Wheatley.He said "if I left you feeling unsettled for a few days, that was my intention"He done that alright. It needs several viewings and has to go down as a cult{excuse the pun} classic, but that almost does it a dis service

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I thought The Kill List was pretty ridiculous, the twist at the end was so contrived that I couldn't believe we were supposed to swallow it, it was like Wheatley had given the script to one of his kids to finish. I suppose it is a cult movie, like all his stuff.

Arcadia is really enjoyable, though.

Keith peace

Devoted Cultist
If you liked O Lucky Man, give the recent film Sorry To Bother You a go, they're kind of similar, and both weird.
@GNC thanks for the recommendation, where can I see this film?
Bizarrely enough it seems to have passed me by!!

Keith peace

Devoted Cultist
I saw it on Amazon Video, but it's probably on disc too, and should be showing up on a movie channel soon if you have those.
@GNC yes I'll have to keep my eyes and ears open as I've got the movie channels...sounds very promising..

Lizard King

Ephemeral Spectre
I thought The Kill List was pretty ridiculous, the twist at the end was so contrived that I couldn't believe we were supposed to swallow it, it was like Wheatley had given the script to one of his kids to finish. I suppose it is a cult movie, like all his stuff.

Arcadia is really enjoyable, though.
I appreciate your comments GNC but I didn't see the end coming. I suppose it's one of them. Like the Blair Witch Project, it's what your own imagination does to you. Mark Kermonde loved it and stated in his review a friend of his found it so intense he thought he was going to have to leave the cinema during it, for a break. Jacob's Ladder now there's a film..

Keith peace

Devoted Cultist
I appreciate your comments GNC but I didn't see the end coming. I suppose it's one of them. Like the Blair Witch Project, it's what your own imagination does to you. Mark Kermonde loved it and stated in his review a friend of his found it so intense he thought he was going to have to leave the cinema during it, for a break. Jacob's Ladder now there's a film..
@Lizard King now there is a film!!!
I'm still reminded of his encounter on the dancefloor with the lilith like entity...
Quite literally panic at the disco!!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Mark Kermode also said something recently I found very apt: you either go with a film or you don't. With The Kill List, I didn't because I've seen The Wicker Man and could see what Wheatley was ripping off. For me it was poor scripting, but if you've never seen The Wicker Man, you would probably "go with it".

Jacob's Ladder doesn't have an original twist either, but I did "go with it", because it's not all about that twist, it's about being at peace before death.

Keith peace

Devoted Cultist
Mark Kermode also said something recently I found very apt: you either go with a film or you don't. With The Kill List, I didn't because I've seen The Wicker Man and could see what Wheatley was ripping off. For me it was poor scripting, but if you've never seen The Wicker Man, you would probably "go with it".

Jacob's Ladder doesn't have an original twist either, but I did "go with it", because it's not all about that twist, it's about being at peace before death.
@GNC I'd be interested to ask you what you think of Wheatley's other films like a field in England and sightseers..
Wicker man is a fantastic film but then again a lot of seventies cinema produced some real head expanding and mind altering pieces of work..

Have to admit I love Kill List. I would say it was influenced and unformed by The Wicker Man rather than being a rip off.

I'd also like to know what you think of Wheatley's other films.

Lizard King

Ephemeral Spectre

I have to say I love the Wicker Man. The original obviously!The utter drive that was the remake isn't worth any screen time.Apparently there is a remake of Jacob's Ladder coming out soon. I think that's fair comment to "go with a film", some I do, some i don't, but the films we have mentioned all appeal to my taste.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
@GNC I'd be interested to ask you what you think of Wheatley's other films like a field in England and sightseers..
I'm not a huge fan of Wheatley, maybe because I really liked Down Terrace, his first ultra-low budget film, and don't feel he lived up to that promise. But I am glad he's around and getting funding, because he does make British film more interesting and with any luck will inspire more to give it a go with their own voice.

A Field in England was too up its own arse for me, and Sightseers seemed to be made by and for people who hate the British. I also found Free Fire pretty tedious. But I liked High Rise to a point, it was a decent take on Ballard, if a stretch to say he predicted Fatcher's Britain. It was superbly designed, though. I enjoyed his recent film Happy New Year Colin Burstead once I noticed the ostensible hero was actually a total idiot, and far from being the life and soul of his family/party, was doing it a lot of damage with his intolerance. Clever take on the Mike Leigh-style comedy drama. Oh, and Wheatley's Doctor Who episode where they went inside a Dalek was really good.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I have to say I love the Wicker Man. The original obviously!The utter drive that was the remake isn't worth any screen time.Apparently there is a remake of Jacob's Ladder coming out soon. I think that's fair comment to "go with a film", some I do, some i don't, but the films we have mentioned all appeal to my taste.
Yeah, I don't think anyone loves the remake of The Wicker Man apart from the snarkiest of the snarky. You'll never see a film set itself up for a fall quite as obliviously that one does. The Jacob's Ladder remake seems to have been shelved for over a year, no idea what its status is, but I can't imagine it would be as freaky and moving as the original.