Non-Fortean Films

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I don't understand why anyone would try to remake these films anyway.
There's a new audience who won't bother with films that are twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, etc years old, and if they succeeded before, then a remake is theoretically supposed to succeed with that new audience. Never mind that the tinkering that goes on dismantles the magic that made the originals special in the first place. It's all about chasing profits, finding a formula to make money.

I see Ben Wheatley is supposed to be remaking Hitchcock's Rebecca - or Du Maurier's Rebecca, if you prefer. Love the original, presumably a remake will put the sex back in.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I have to say I love the Wicker Man. The original obviously!The utter drive that was the remake isn't worth any screen time.Apparently there is a remake of Jacob's Ladder coming out soon. I think that's fair comment to "go with a film", some I do, some i don't, but the films we have mentioned all appeal to my taste.
I wasn't impressed with the recent Flat Liners remake .. the Psycho remake was also pretty pointless..

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I wasn't impressed with the recent Flat Liners remake .. the Psycho remake was also pretty pointless..
I thought the original Flatliners was kind of useless in the first place, a horror movie for people who don't like horror movies.

The Psycho remake was an art project by Gus Van Sant more than popcorn entertainment, like the 24 hour Psycho from artist Douglas Gordon. Try telling that to multiplex patrons! Didn't make it entertaining, either.

Lizard King

Ephemeral Spectre
It's such a shame that there is many a classic, that is not going to be viewed by young people, well not in it's original form. As a kid growing up I watched films on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon with my mother {black and white} that kids would never watch now. No colour?no CGI? No chance!My kids wont even watch a film that has been made in the 80s or 90s!

Lizard King

Ephemeral Spectre
We've seen it a million times, it's historically inaccurate, we complain when it's on and then when it's not, but the Great Escape will not be seen by a new audience, which is a shame. Which reminds me there is a remake of Papillion . Who didn't want to be Steve McQueen?

Ogdred Weary

Fhtagntastic.
I see Ben Wheatley is supposed to be remaking Hitchcock's Rebecca - or Du Maurier's Rebecca, if you prefer. Love the original, presumably a remake will put the sex back in.
Ahem, excuse me. It is not a remake if the is source material that predates the first film. It is a new interpretation of said source material.

[/anal retentive nerd one upmanship]

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Ahem, excuse me. It is not a remake if the is source material that predates the first film. It is a new interpretation of said source material.

I love Du Maurier, her fiction and her book on Cornwell. Underrated in her lifetime and still underrated today.

Swifty

I thought the original Flatliners was kind of useless in the first place, a horror movie for people who don't like horror movies.

The Psycho remake was an art project by Gus Van Sant more than popcorn entertainment, like the 24 hour Psycho from artist Douglas Gordon. Try telling that to multiplex patrons! Didn't make it entertaining, either.
Both Flatliners also had really unlikeable characters from memory.

GNC

King-Sized Canary

But if I remade The Godfather, would people say, "I can't believe they're doing another adaptation of Puzo's novel!"? Well, maybe somebody would.

There was already a 1990s version of Rebecca with Emilia Fox, I think, made for ITV.

Ogdred Weary

Fhtagntastic.
But if I remade The Godfather, would people say, "I can't believe they're doing another adaptation of Puzo's novel!"? Well, maybe somebody would.

There was already a 1990s version of Rebecca with Emilia Fox, I think, made for ITV.
That depends, if you took the source material and did something new with it. No. If you were self consciously aping the Coppola then, yes.

Is every theatrical version of Hamlet a remake of the very first performance? Which, by the way, is reckoned not to be Shakespeare's version, is Shakespeare's play a remake of the so-called "ur-Hamlet" which exists only in terms of a record of a performance? People say "remake" all the time, it doesn't make them correct. Does the "remaking" start with the multiple film and/or TV versions?

Are films based on actual historical happenings remakes of previous ones about said events?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Plays are restaged all the time, but for some reason a record of the moving image in film fixes a certain interpretation in the popular imagination. But yes, there are nuances.

Keith peace

Devoted Cultist
Has there ever been a remake that improves on the original?!!
I'm not sure I can think of many films to support this..
My wife and I love old films and we regularly trawl the satellite channels for very interesting nuggets...
It's a shame many are aghast at older films and those shown in black and white,as maybe they could view original films at their most pure and powerful instead of cgi all gong and no dinner..

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
My wife and I love old films and we regularly trawl the satellite channels for very interesting nuggets...
It's a shame many are aghast at older films and those shown in black and white,as maybe they could view original films at their most pure and powerful instead of cgi all gong and no dinner..
While I'm trawling Netflix for some classic horror to watch, I often see the most famous names and click excitedly only to find that they're dreadful 90s and 00s remakes, spin-offs or (long unawaited) sequels. The list is too long to recall, but The Fog, Halloween, Psycho, Friday The 13th, Carrie, The Exorcist, Day of the Dead, Bates Motel, American Poltergeist (and Part 2!) all came up last night.

Who is making these? And who is watching them?

Keith peace

Devoted Cultist
While I'm trawling Netflix for some classic horror to watch, I often see the most famous names and click excitedly only to find that they're dreadful 90s and 00s remakes, spin-offs or (long unawaited) sequels. The list is too long to recall, but The Fog, Halloween, Psycho, Friday The 13th, Carrie, The Exorcist, Day of the Dead, Bates Motel, American Poltergeist (and Part 2!) all came up last night.

Who is making these? And who is watching them?
@Yithian I'm with you on that issue,I do watch the remakes but I've never thought they ever improved upon the original..!!
I'm not sure if it's just pop culture that seems obsessed with the remake as most films have been remade these days..
It is though getting harder to sort the wheat from the chaff,that's why so often we go for the tried and tested original and give it a rewatch..
That said I'm the world's worse critic and can often see the good points in many films...
I'm hoping they'll bring moviedrome with Alex Cox back..!!
Now there was some films with coxs take on them fantastic!!

Ogdred Weary

Fhtagntastic.
Dare I say it but Snyder's version of Dawn of the Dead is at least as good as Romero's, maybe a teensy bit better. It's a very different film and it might be dumber but the original is not half as clever as people claim it is. Yes, it's a satire on consumerism but I can't help but feel that that has been overstated, as has the Vietnam over/undertones to the first film. That's the only one I can think of.

Carpenter's The Thing is not a remake, he went back and looked at the source novella, he also added a bit of Lovecraft. The 2011 version, whilst ostensibly a prequel is clearly a remake and of course inferior.

Keith peace

Devoted Cultist
Dare I say it but Snyder's version of Dawn of the Dead is at least as good as Romero's, maybe a teensy bit better. It's a very different film and it might be dumber but the original is not half as clever as people claim it is. Yes, it's a satire on consumerism but I can't help but feel that that has been overstated, as has the Vietnam over/undertones to the first film. That's the only one I can think of.

Carpenter's The Thing is not a remake, he went back and looked at the source novella, he also added a bit of Lovecraft. The 2011 version, whilst ostensibly a prequel is clearly a remake and of course inferior.
@Ogdred Weary yes your right ,although the carpenter thing is slightly different than the original!!
I've never seen the remake of dawn of the dead but was a big fan of all of Romero's work, I'll have to give it a watch!!

Ogdred Weary

Fhtagntastic.
@Ogdred Weary yes your right ,although the carpenter thing is slightly different than the original!!
I've never seen the remake of dawn of the dead but was a big fan of all of Romero's work, I'll have to give it a watch!!
Carpenter's The Thing was very different to the The Thing from Outer Space and is more faithful to John W Campbell's Who Goes There? which both were based on.

Keith peace

Devoted Cultist
Carpenter's The Thing was very different to the The Thing from Outer Space and is more faithful to John W Campbell's Who Goes There? which both were based on.
@Ogdred Weary I think a revisit of the original thing is long overdue,I watched the carpenter one about eighteen months ago as my wife had never seen it..she was suitably impressed by it...

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
I actually prefer the 70s adaptation of The 39 Steps to either of the previous film versions.

Also Evil Dead 2 while technically a sequel is pretty much a superior remake of the first Evil Dead. Ash is distinctly lacklustre in the first film and the pacing is ramped up considerably in the second.

Also Tom Savini's remake of Night of The Living Dead is very well executed apart from some dodgy 80s fashions. And the 70's remake of Invasion of the Bodysnatchers matched the paranoia of the original. Unlike the later Nicole Kidman vehicle. (Kidman also starred in a very botched remake of The Stepford Wives. Although at least you get to see Christopher Walken's head fall off.)

And Rathbone's Hound of the Baskervilles is generally considered superior to the earlier adaptations.

In more modern times remakes seem a tad lacklustre. The remakes of Predator and Robocop were both competent enough, but lacked the visceral energy of the originals. The various Hollywood remakes of Japanese horror films lacked the eerieness of the originals and ended up just being boring.

Ocean's 11 was arguably far more ingenious than the Rat Pack original, though the sequels were disapointing.

As for the Marlon Brando starring Dr Moreau adaptation it's a thing of wonder that transcends all analysis.

Swifty

The opening scenes of the new Dawn Of The Dead are fantastic and worth watching the film for alone .. I'm also a long time big fan of the Romero ones. The only thing the new Dawn has in common with the original is that they're both set in a mall location wise .. almost everything else is completely different scenario and character wise. I'm a fan of the new Dawn ..

Ogdred Weary

Fhtagntastic.
The opening scenes of the new Dawn Of The Dead are fantastic and worth watching the film for alone .. I'm also a long time big fan of the Romero ones. The only thing the new Dawn has in common with the original is that they're both set in a mall location wise .. almost everything else is completely different scenario and character wise. I'm a fan of the new Dawn ..
Yeah, it's not really a remake but if they called it something else people would have complained "it's got zombies and it's in a mall blah blah blah!", also Hollywood has to use existing branding whenever they can.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
@Yithian I'm with you on that issue,I do watch the remakes but I've never thought they ever improved upon the original..!!
I'm not sure if it's just pop culture that seems obsessed with the remake as most films have been remade these days..
It is though getting harder to sort the wheat from the chaff,that's why so often we go for the tried and tested original and give it a rewatch..
That said I'm the world's worse critic and can often see the good points in many films...
I'm hoping they'll bring moviedrome with Alex Cox back..!!
Now there was some films with coxs take on them fantastic!!
If you're missing Alex Cox, here's a recent Trailers from Hell podcast where he was a guest, and on top form:
Alex Coxcast

Keith peace

Devoted Cultist
If you're missing Alex Cox, here's a recent Trailers from Hell podcast where he was a guest, and on top form:
Alex Coxcast
@GNC I am missing him and thankyou for that, I'm a massive lover of all his films especially repo man..I guess sometimes I have my rose tinted spectacles on..!!!

Keith peace

Devoted Cultist
Repo Man will always be a cult classic... and always intense.
@GNC it's a one of a kind,although I did enjoy straight to hell and sid and Nancy, I've not seen his last three films but I always find something to appraise in all of his features!!