Non-Fortean Films

titch

Justified & Ancient
The matchstick is the least of his problems if he's firing a gun two inches away from his head.
I would be more worried about the pistol stuck down the front of my trousers, I hope he has very small vital organs.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
.. and can you please explain to me why they had to put ****ing prams in the ZX Spectrum game? .. I haven't watched the film since it was released so did some gangsters roll a pram full of bombs at Stallone or something?
Trying to remember if Cobra does that old trick of the car running over a pram that turns out to belong to a bag lady who doesn't have a baby, but does have a large collection of cans...

Rocketman: A musical biopic in the form of a Musical! And a fantasy musical at that. Elton John enters an AA meeting clad in an orange devil suit, confessing to alcoholism, being a cokehead, addicted to prescription drugs, bulimia, shopaholic, sex-addiction. His six tear old self appears in the room and everyone goes singing and dancing back to the 1950s. The AA room is used as a framing device for flashbacks. This being a musical anyone can burst into song and start dancing. An Elvis quiffed 12 year old Elton plays Saturday Nights All Right For Fighting, naturally fights break out and the segues into a 20 year old Elton at a fairground. Other great numbers are Crocodile Rock where Elton and the audience levitate and Rocketman, underwater and with him on a stretcher. Pretty good musical and it's warts and all about John's excesses at just about everything. Taron Egerton as Elton, Jamie Bell as Bernie Taupin, good acting, directed by Dexter Fletcher. 8/10.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
"So we had First Blood, and we're wrapping this up... how about Last Blood?"

*media monkeys high five each other*

Apparently it's based on a true story, except the real guy killing the Mexicans was Mexican himself, not a septuagenarian Italian-American. Hollywood, amirite?

This is the best trailer I have ever seen...
That's brilliant.

When I used to visit an ex of mine in sarf Larndaan, nah a a mean? I would regularly get accosted by lads selling African origin dvd's; my ex (half Nigerian herself) even bought a few in the hairdressers - I think just to get them to go away.

Now, I have no idea what I just watched, but I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't have paid more attention to those old DVD's.

Booksmart: Coming of age comedy with Kaitlyn Dever as Amy and Beanie Feldstein as Molly, two girls who studied hard through High School to get good grades and now are going to Columbia and Yale. To their horror they discover that the slackers and non-stop party-goers have all gotten into good colleges as well. None of them seem to have worry about student debt or how the fees will be paid though. Very much an upper-middle class/1% School District. Brings to mind last years Ladybird burt this is very much a 90210 version. Anyway Amy and Molly decide to make up for lost time with a night of partying before Graduation Day.

So a chase/search ensues to find THE party, they get diverted on the way to a party where an ultra-rich student tries to buy their friendship and then crash a murder mystery themed party put on by a gay couple who intend to stage Shakespeare's comedies as tragedies during the Summer break. A night of mayhem and run-ins with the cops ensues, they even encounter a serial killer.

Olivia Wilde in her directorial debut has produced a satire/comedy of manners which entertains throughout but is somewhat episodic so a Four Star film rather than the Five Star movie some critics proclaim it to be. 8/10.

Look! :yay:
"Celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Francis Ford Coppola’s visionary Vietnam War epic when the newly restored Apocalypse Now Final Cut arrives on 4K Ultra HD™ Combo Pack (4K disc, plus three Blu-ray discs and Digital copy) and on Digital 4K Ultra HD for the first time ever August 27 from Lionsgate. A special NAGRA myCinema theatrical release of Apocalypse Now Final Cut can be experienced on the giant screen in select theaters ..."

July 25th at ours.:win:

^So little excitement?

Well, Ramon el Mercado, we populate rarified air.
More tix for us.

A seminal film for my life. A building block for my adult cynicism. A passage of my youth. A massive trip for my marijuana. What a lovely filmic experience. I'm fanboy #1

titch

Justified & Ancient
^So little excitement?

Well, Ramon el Mercado, we populate rarified air.
More tix for us.

A seminal film for my life. A building block for my adult cynicism. A passage of my youth. A massive trip for my marijuana. What a lovely filmic experience. I'm fanboy #1
Sorry, but I find it very dull, a few good scenes cannot make up for hours of mumbling boredom.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I like the idea of Apocalypse Now as this mythical work better than the film itself, it really is all over the place and you can tell everyone was out of their minds when they made it. Which is interesting in itself, but doesn't make it a classic. It's telling they're still trying to fix it even at this late stage.

Yes, it is indulgent, but it epitomises the insanity of the nureaucratic impetus so well. Marty Sheen is me in that film. Who would not slaughter Kurtz when the physical energy allowed? Such a brilliant moment. Willard executes his mission yet gathers the data and goes back to the world with evidence. "And I wasn't even in their fucken army any more!"

The Redux version is very great. I look forward to this big screen capture far more than I have any re-screening, including the Star Wars cinematic re-releases.

Last edited:

titch

Justified & Ancient
When i was in my mid teens local hero was a fav movie of mine, i watched it again tonight for the first time in years, expecting my middle aged, cynical and worn out self to hate it. Nope, it charmed me now just as it did all those years ago.

Destroyer is a very good film. Nic Kidman is a burned out LA detective with a deathwish and a teenage daughter. Great performance. Plotline filled with flashbacks to the source of her PTSD, which is slightly annoying, but the ending is thus well-served.
4/5

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Spies Like Us - Dan Akroyd, Chevy Chase, Frank Oz .. directed by John Landis .. it's been decades since I've watched this belter ..

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Apollo 11

Fantastic documentary about the mission from start to finish. No commentary, just the words of Mission Control, people involved in the project, & the astronauts themselves. Great footage, & it reveals some of the manoeuvring of the crafts along the way, and the thousands of people involved behind the scenes. There was a leak either in the hydrogen or nitrogen supply pipe which they were repairing 2 hours before take-off.

The giant caterpillar-track machine which carries the rocket to launch pad is like something from Thunderbirds, only real. Immense.

Even though you know it was a success, there's a lot of tension in the build-up to crucial elements in the mission. The soundtrack is good as well, not obtrusive.

The word awesome is actually applicable. See it if you have any interest in the subject.