Non-Fortean Films

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
‘Big Lebowski’ Sequel Renamed ‘The Jesus Rolls,’ Plans Early 2020 Release
John Turturro reprises his role in the film, which he also wrote and directed, and was previously known as "Going Places."

John Turturro’s long-buzzed-about “Big Lebowski” sequel has a fresh title, and a fast-approaching release date. Screen Media announced today that the boutique distribution company has picked up the North American rights to Turturro’s film, now known as “The Jesus Rolls” (and formerly known as “Going Places”), and is planning a release in early 2020.

Written, directed by, and starring Turturro, the new film sees the multi-hyphenate reprising his role of Jesus Quintana from the beloved Coen brothers film. He’ll be joined by a wide-ranging supporting cast that includes Bobby Cannavale, Audrey Tautou, Jon Hamm, Susan Sarandon, and Pete Davidson.

Synopsis at link:
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/big-lebowski-sequel-the-jesus-rolls-2020-release-1202156266/

henry

still speeding
meanwhile fortean sidekick and i have started a saturday afternoon film club ... after anticipating a BIG MOVIE all week it kicks in saturday afternoon on dvd, accompanied by delivered pizza, popcorn etc

we started with stranger than paradise, blade runner, last weekend was wings of desire, next saturday wall-e ...

Vita and Virginia: A story of the romance between Vita Sackville-West (Gemma Arterton) and Virginia Woolf (Elizabeth Debicki). Both were novelists and though Vita outsold Virginia she envied her literary standard. The vulnerable Woolf and the flamboyant West made for a troubled relationship. They first meet at a party where Virginia is dressed in male Elizabethan costume, bringing to mind Tilda swinton in Orlando. Their growing friendship is related through letters where the actors speak to camera, when problems de coeur occur, one of them will remain tight-lipped. Virginia was regarded by many as just being mad but her illness was central to her genius as the film so richly illustrates. The novel Orlando by Woolf was inspired by her affair and friendship with Vita. Director and co-writer Chanya Buttons delivers an interesting snapshot of a period in Woolf's life, the Bloomsbury set and the decadence of the British Ruling Class in the 1920s. 8/10.

henry

still speeding
meanwhile fortean sidekick and i have started a saturday afternoon film club ... after anticipating a BIG MOVIE all week it kicks in saturday afternoon on dvd, accompanied by delivered pizza, popcorn etc

we started with stranger than paradise, blade runner, last weekend was wings of desire, next saturday wall-e ...
wall-e still great, and a neat counterpoint to recent blade runner ... combined with anniversary screening of the matrix at the printworks vue tonight ... next week, no country for old men

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Watched Aguirre Wrath of God again last night.

Mr Frideswide says it's nothing special :confused:
They could have released footage of Klaus Kinski frying eggs and I would have felt tense but morbidly compelled to keep watching.

The fragility of the shells, the proximity of the carving knives, the look of hatred when one of the yolks broke: when is he going to fly into a rage?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I've never seen this before.

Before Winter Comes (1969) takes place in the immediate aftermath of World War II. British Major Giles Burnside (David Niven) is assigned to an Austrian refugee camp; his mission is to send the groups of displaced civilians to either the Russian zone or the American zone. Burnside is a by-the-book officer but he runs into trouble with the translation of the many different languages. However, one of the refugees, Janovic (Topol), can speak many languages and is willing to help. Janovic quickly conveys Burnside's orders and helps the camp run smoothly. Janovic runs into romance with a lovely innkeeper, Maria (Anna Karina), until he discovers her affair with Burnside. Meanwhile, Janovic is found to be a Russian deserter, who should be returned to the Russian mainland to be executed. Burnside offers to help him escape, but Janovic cannot decide whether to trust him.​

Source:​
David Niven (Legend)
Chaim Topol (Bond and Flash Gordon!)
Anna Karina (Jean-Luc Godard films)
Anthony Quayle (The Guns of Navarone, The Eagle has Landed, Laurence of Arabia).
John Hurt (a very young proto-legend here).

Has to be watchable with a cast like that, doesn't it?

Last edited:

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Don't know if this has been mentioned already

Bad Day At The El Royale

Very Tarantino-influenced story of a group of people holed up at a remote hotel & their back stories. A good few deaths along the way but pretty good with a few twists & turns. Keeps you guessing & a good cast - Jeff Bridges etc.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Have to admit, I'd watch it without hesitation.

Does it look superb? No, but it looks watchable and we're at least a year out from release.

Thought the first film was magnificent.

And for all his weirdness, I don't dislike Tom Cruise--although I find it hard to say precisely why.

Last edited:

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
Have to admit, I'd watch it without hesitation.

Does it look superb? No, but it looks watchable and we're at least a year out from release.

Thought the first film was magnificent.

And for all his weirdness, I don't dislike Tom Cruise--although I find it hard to say precisely why.
hmm. trailer is a bit meh...and then that majestic theme music started.! cool

and likewise @Yithian, i really like tom cruise as an actor and producer. hey may have some bonkers personal beliefs, and never ages, but jeeze the guy works hard. he's probably qualified as a fighter jet pilot just to fly the planes for real in the film.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
hmm. trailer is a bit meh...and then that majestic theme music started.! cool

and likewise @Yithian, i really like tom cruise as an actor and producer. hey may have some bonkers personal beliefs, and never ages, but jeeze the guy works hard. he's probably qualified as a fighter jet pilot just to fly the planes for real in the film.
I'm going to be honest .. it looks like a fan made trailer but I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. It gave me goose bumps just for pure nostalgia reasons, as weird as Tom is (and a timelord apparently because he doesn't look over 30 years older) ... I'm looking forward to a 'switch your brain off' blockbuster .. they've done another volley ball scene, they've done another recruits singing in a bar scene (wonder which tune they'll all be singing these days?) .. they've got another redhead love interest for someone .. they've got a gasp shock horror female pilot called Phoenix although I doubt that's going to cause any kind of online controversy that matters .. I'm looking forward to seeing it but I'll be surprised if it becomes a modern classic .. it might be ace?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I always hated Top Gun because the Cruiser came across like such an asshole. So it looks like the sequel is true to the original. But it's not out for a year! Will any of us still be around to watch it?

Swifty

I always hated Top Gun because the Cruiser came across like such an asshole. So it looks like the sequel is true to the original. But it's not out for a year! Will any of us still be around to watch it?
He did come across as an asshole ("I'm going to take a shower in your house OK?" in the first film ) but a lot of emergency service people I've worked with or have met have been like that so the caricature isn't that inaccurate tbh .. not likeable people but they do tend to win under pressure. For us.

henry

still speeding
wall-e still great, and a neat counterpoint to recent blade runner ... combined with anniversary screening of the matrix at the printworks vue tonight ... next week, no country for old men
no country for old men proved difficult to locate so we segued into david michôd/joel edgertons the rover, my film of the year, that year

Swifty

Same old shit, without the saving grace of having f-14s going whhhhoooosshhhh
It definitely looks paint by numbers but I reckon OG fans will want that instead of, say, 'a dark new story'. The Mrs is lending the original to a 16 year old who works for her who's never heard of the original but is excited by this trailer.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
I'm going to be honest .. it looks like a fan made trailer but I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. It gave me goose bumps just for pure nostalgia reasons, as weird as Tom is (and a timelord apparently because he doesn't look over 30 years older) ... I'm looking forward to a 'switch your brain off' blockbuster .. they've done another volley ball scene, they've done another recruits singing in a bar scene (wonder which tune they'll all be singing these days?) .. they've got another redhead love interest for someone .. they've got a gasp shock horror female pilot called Phoenix although I doubt that's going to cause any kind of online controversy that matters .. I'm looking forward to seeing it but I'll be surprised if it becomes a modern classic .. it might be ace?
Erm GOOSE bumps?