Non-Fortean Films

henry

still speeding
no country for old men proved difficult to locate so we segued into david michôd/joel edgertons the rover, my film of the year, that year
still no sign of no country, so re-plan saturday was to follow the rover with exploitation double bill of mad max/mad max 2 ... visiting detroit cousins put paid, so we sacrificed the former for just the sequent, the road warrior, pure cinema, sparse dialog, great cars

next week : the music of chance

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Looking really forward to "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood"coming out.
That makes two of us. I've always like Tarantino movies, I have a thing for old Hollywood and the Manson murders fascinate me. Throw all three together and it has to be good. It opens here in Australia next week (the 15th). Incidentally, I was taking a tour of the Universal Studios backlots in June last year and they were filming scenes for this there on a street that looked like an old western town. Didn't see anyone famous as they had the street blocked off. Lots of crew buzzing around though. Interesting nonetheless.

Lizard King

Ephemeral Spectre
That makes two of us. I've always like Tarantino movies, I have a thing for old Hollywood and the Manson murders fascinate me. Throw all three together and it has to be good. It opens here in Australia next week (the 15th). Incidentally, I was taking a tour of the Universal Studios backlots in June last year and they were filming scenes for this there on a street that looked like an old western town. Didn't see anyone famous as they had the street blocked off. Lots of crew buzzing around though. Interesting nonetheless.
That sounds exciting, a tour of the Universal Studio backlots. I love Tarantino also. I think you either get him or you don't. I remember going to see Pulp Fiction when it came out. I was blown away and wanted to see it again immediately. I wanted to see it again not because I didn't follow the sequence of events, but just how amazing it was. I still think it is my favourite film and is near perfect.In this day and age we can almost forget how original{apart from the nod to all other films that he was influenced by!}in style it was. It was like taking a B movie and giving it's characters more depth.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I'm not a huge fan of Tarantino, though he has made films I've really enjoyed, but that Guardian article last week ordering his films to be destroyed because of the violence in them was ridiculous.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I'm not a huge fan of Tarantino, though he has made films I've really enjoyed, but that Guardian article last week ordering his films to be destroyed because of the violence in them was ridiculous.
If they did that, they'd have to destroy quite a lot of other films. There wouldn't be many left - and they'd mostly be dull.

Lizard King

Ephemeral Spectre
Sorry I should say I love Tarantino movies, not he man himself!What I find funny is, that he has never formally studied directing, producing or script writing but I think he is excellent at all 3 skills.The only discipline he has studied {for 6 years apparently} is acting, which he is terrible at!I cringe at some of his performances!Maybe I should have put this in the irony thread.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Chris Morris's new film has a trailer:

American Chris Morris is a bit weird, and not in a good way. Also, he seems to have ditched the jokes. Or the funny jokes, anyway.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Who is he? Is that Kanye under a different name?
What's the craic? :dunno:
Apparently, it's about a cult leader who is falsely claimed by the CIA to be a terrorist, and the crisis this sparks. It sounds a bit like Kevin Smith's Red State, which is a really interesting film. What the talking horse has to do with it I have no idea.

titch

Justified & Ancient
Two very similar movies, Holmes and Watson and arctic, arctic is amazing, really needs a cinema screen rather then my monitor to really convey the bleak freezyarseness of the situation, but the lead actor is immense, he does an astounding job with little dialogue.

Forget what you have heard about Holmes and Watson, i was laughing like a loon all the way through it and when Dorset street was shown i almost wet myself, it is a joyful silly romp and worth a watch.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Forget what you have heard about Holmes and Watson, i was laughing like a loon all the way through it and when Dorset street was shown i almost wet myself, it is a joyful silly romp and worth a watch.
Hooray, I liked H&W too, it seems to be building a cult of people who give it a go to hatewatch it after hearing so many bad reports, then find themselves genuinely laughing instead.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Film that @maximus otter might like: Dragged Across Concrete. Two cops are put on suspension for what they regard as not being polite enough to the dangerous criminal they brought in, nobody says it's PC gorn mad, but that's the implication (it's difficult to tell if this is satire or not, I'll be honest). Anyway, the older one (Mel Gibson) persuades the younger (Vince Vaughn, no, wait, he's good in this) to accompany him on an unofficial stakeout to bust an upcoming heist - then things start getting nasty.

I will say, you have to adjust to the incredibly deliberate pace, some people find it far too slow, but if you're in its groove, it's a compelling watch. From the same guy who did Bone Tomahawk, so it's 18 certificate for a reason.

Film that @maximus otter might like: Dragged Across Concrete. Two cops are put on suspension for what they regard as not being polite enough to the dangerous criminal they brought in, nobody says it's PC gorn mad, but that's the implication (it's difficult to tell if this is satire or not, I'll be honest). Anyway, the older one (Mel Gibson) persuades the younger (Vince Vaughn, no, wait, he's good in this) to accompany him on an unofficial stakeout to bust an upcoming heist - then things start getting nasty.

I will say, you have to adjust to the incredibly deliberate pace, some people find it far too slow, but if you're in its groove, it's a compelling watch. From the same guy who did Bone Tomahawk, so it's 18 certificate for a reason.
I liked it. My review: https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/non-fortean-films.58948/page-30#post-1854072

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
some people find it far too slow
hand up

The first stakeout scene was so agonising I switched it off and dumped the file. Very rarely happens. Deliberate? Why? I mean I watched a lady binge and purge a pie for ten minutes in A Ghost Story because it was completely apt to the story, but a cop munching a sandwich and then another one with no dialogue just bored the hole off me. Did not work. I liked the premise up until that point.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I had a look at the IMDB comments for it (I know, I know) and most of them complain it was too slow for them. But I was in no hurry, I was absorbed into the pace, plus the bad guys are some of the most horrible in recent memory. But I can see that many would not get that far, Zahler's obviously not aiming for the mainstream.

Lizard King

Ephemeral Spectre

Where can I watch this film?