Non-Fortean Films

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I don't think I was aware that this was even being made. Clearly a cash-in, but could it be interesting?

Apparently Bill, Dan, Sigourney and Ernie are in it. It's directed by Ivan Rietman's Son .. and Slimer's back. It looks like the main kid is playing Harold Ramis's (RIP)/Spengler's Grandson.

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
That looks great! Looks like an interesting concept.
Nice touch with the kid sliding down Grandpa Spengler's fire pole into his old abandoned work shop :cool: .. this looks to have a touch of The Goonies 80's vibe about it.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Nice touch with the kid sliding down Grandpa Spengler's fire pole into his old abandoned work shop :cool: .. this looks to have a touch of The Goonies 80's vibe about it.
Yeah! They've even revived the old props, the music, certain themes... it'll be a nostalgia-fest.

Swifty

Reaction score
Yeah! They've even revived the old props, the music, certain themes... it'll be a nostalgia-fest.
It feels like Jason's going for a Stranger Things vibe. I can't wait to see how the original cast are included, I feel it's going to be emotional considering his Dad made the original .. nice to see Spengler's collection of mould, fungi and spores. Paul Rudd in it is always a bonus.

edit: skip to 9:10 to the moment Dan Akroyd meets his Ecto 1 restored

Last edited:

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score
It will be a nostalgia heavy cash grab, attempting to draw in kids with the younger cast as well as the usual pathetic man-babies. The best argument against making any more Ghostbusters films was Ghostbusters 2, even the same team of people couldn't coax the lightening to strike twice. Ghostbusters 2016 was average to poor and unfunny, rather than dire but it only slightly worse than the second.

Swifty

Reaction score
... a few more things from the international trailer

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Hadley Freeman, a huge fan of the original, has some interesting things to say here:
Ghostbusters Afterlife article

She once wrote Ghostbusters '84 showed the finest displays of masculinity any man can aspire to, and I don't have a problem with that. But I agree this looks kind of anonymous. If anything it reminds me of J.J. Abrams' Super 8, which Stranger Things ripped off completely - er, I mean, was inspired by but never credited.

henry

still speeding
Reaction score
trailer has more in common with a transformers trailer than ghostbusters ... is it even going to be a comedy ? oh dear, bring back that ridiculous #metoo reboot of a few years back, all is forgiven

although actually it looks pretty good

Last edited:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
The Last Right: Daniel Murphy (Michael Huisman) is flying home from the US to attend his mother's funeral when it turns out the guy next to him Padraig Murphy (Jim Norton) is bringing his brother back to Ireland to bury him. The quirkiness of this serious comedy kicks in right away as Padraig dies on the flight and has named Daniel as his next of kin. It looks as if Daniel has talked his way out of this quandary and he makes his way to Clonakilty where his brother Louis (Samuel Bottomley) lives. Louis is an autistic teenager still at school and Daniel will now be responsible for him. The corpse of Padraig follows Daniel (via the Garda) and at Louis's urging he agrees to transport the body to Rathlin Island, at the very other end of the Island of Ireland. A road movie ensues as Daniel and Louis are joined by an eccentric mortician, Mary (Niamh Algar) in their journey.

There are perhaps too many odd characters in the film as a Detective Superintendent (Colm Meaney) sets off in pursuit of the trio after a misunderstanding with a pellet gun results in them being perceived as a criminal gang. Serious relationship questions are teased out as Daniel wants Louis to move to the USA but Louisa doesn't wish to lose his girlfriend. An awkward, troubled affair starts to develop between Daniel and Mary. There is no stereotyping of Autism and though Rain Man is referenced it is used to develop a conversation on how there are many points on the spectrum and Louis is an individual with his own strengths. There is also a major plot reveal which influences the viewers understanding of the narrative.

A solid drama/comedy written and directed by Aoife Crehan. 8/10.

henry

still speeding
Reaction score
i met a man in mississippi august just gone by, on his phone were photos of the latest bill & ted sequent, preston and logan back in the garage as full grown wyld stallyns ... excellent ... he was a prop supply guy, had helped kit out the various sets

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The Irishman

The story of a man who goes from meat truck driver to becoming enmeshed with mafia after a chance encounter when his truck breaks down. Spans 50s to probably 2000s. Ends up as trusted confidante & hitman for one of the top mafia guys. Many people get whacked along the way. The main actors, De Niro, Pesci, Keitel, Pacino, are excellent & the supporting cast is huge. Actual historic events give a good timeline & many [most?] of the people portrayed are real characters, many of which come to a sticky end - Jimmy Hoffa for one, & there's a Fat Tony [a la Simpsons] who was also real [I think]. Females play only peripheral roles, wives, children, it's mainly down to the guys.

The various times are portrayed really well - cars, clothes etc, & actual period newsreels are used. Totally recommended but be prepared - it's 3½ hours long. We watched it in 2 parts with a meal break between.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
It should be noted the events in The Irishman are highly disputed, so I prefer to see it as a commentary on gangster movies rather than a factual account.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The Irishman

The story of a man who goes from meat truck driver to becoming enmeshed with mafia after a chance encounter when his truck breaks down. Spans 50s to probably 2000s. Ends up as trusted confidante & hitman for one of the top mafia guys. Many people get whacked along the way. The main actors, De Niro, Pesci, Keitel, Pacino, are excellent & the supporting cast is huge. Actual historic events give a good timeline & many [most?] of the people portrayed are real characters, many of which come to a sticky end - Jimmy Hoffa for one, & there's a Fat Tony [a la Simpsons] who was also real [I think]. Females play only peripheral roles, wives, children, it's mainly down to the guys.

The various times are portrayed really well - cars, clothes etc, & actual period newsreels are used. Totally recommended but be prepared - it's 3½ hours long. We watched it in 2 parts with a meal break between.
Just watched it with my wife - in one sitting!
The 3.5 hours went surprisingly quickly, as it was compelling stuff from start to finish.
Hugely entertaining and great performances all round.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Just watched it with my wife - in one sitting!
The 3.5 hours went surprisingly quickly, as it was compelling stuff from start to finish.
Hugely entertaining and great performances all round.
Haven't yet watched this, but I don't understand the constant references to length.

We're talking about home viewing, where you can pause and resume, in an environment where a good number of people have become accustomed to 'binge watching' multiple episodes of one series in a single session.

3.5 hrs just doesn't strike me as the odessey it once was.

skinny

Class of 1984
Reaction score
I just watched Judy, and it was very moving with a blistering performance by Renee Z. It was quite painful to observe another person my own age experiencing loss after loss as her career ended through the overwhelming influence of her own inner demons. I'm hurting. 4/5

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Anyone watch 6 Underground on Netflix? It started off like a caricature of an action film with various "experts", driver, sharpshooter, medic etc being introduced in the middle of a gunbattle/carchase. Just turned me off and I gave up after 13 minutes. Is it any good?

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Watched Once Upon A Time in Hollywood last night.

Tarantino's best for a long time.
I liked this a lot. There's talk that he's going to turn it into a 5 or 6 episode series for Netflix where he can tell the full story exactly as he wished. I hope so.

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score
Anyone watch 6 Underground on Netflix? It started off like a caricature of an action film with various "experts", driver, sharpshooter, medic etc being introduced in the middle of a gunbattle/carchase. Just turned me off and I gave up after 13 minutes. Is it any good?
Saw the title of a review that said it was Like Team America but without the satire.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
It's like Michael Bay never got over the US "victory" in Iraq and wanted to do it right this time. Only more James Bond (or Mission Impossible, I suppose). The magnet bit was cool, I guess.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Watched Once Upon A Time in Hollywood last night.

Tarantino's best for a long time.
I didn't mind it till it rewrote history and went all old man reactionary kill the hippies on us. Then it was very unpleasant and I decided I didn't like it at all. Shame on Sharon's sister for endorsing it.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I didn't mind it till it rewrote history and went all old man reactionary kill the hippies on us. Then it was very unpleasant and I decided I didn't like it at all. Shame on Sharon's sister for endorsing it.
I suppose the alternative was to have the nice pregnant lady stabbed to death.

Lose/lose.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I suppose the alternative was to have the nice pregnant lady stabbed to death.

Lose/lose.
No, because OUATIH was all made up. The hippies hadn't done anything when we met them, and most of them were invented or composite characters anyway. So we were asking to cheer on the deaths of fictional representatives of the counterculture rather than real criminals. Sharon and her friends are still dead IRL after the movie was over. The whole logic of the film was total bullshit.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
I managed to stay with it and wish I hadn't. It just all congealed into one loud, flashy mess of explosions, shooting, car chases, stunts, explosions, shooting and explosions.

Swifty

Reaction score
I can't believe this has even been made but going by the trailer, I'm glad it has .. this looks great

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score
I can't believe this has even been made but going by the trailer, I'm glad it has .. this looks great

It's been on the festival circuit and I think it's out in some other countries, I've heard mixed things like that it doesn't quite live up to the premise but am definitely intrigued.