Non-Fortean Films

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Apparently it tells us what the Nazis needed to see sense was a hug. Not sure about that.

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
Just been going through the Talking Pictures TV channel for the next 7 days, setting what films we want to record.

Among them are:
Never Let Go - Peter Sellers, Adam Faith and a Ford Anglia
Dancing With Crime - Richard Attenborough and Sheila Sim
Death Goes To School - Gordon Jackson (he of The Professionals)
IWM: Next Of Kin - an Ealing Studios production demonstrating the perils of 'careless talk' during wartime :)
Witness In The Dark - Patricia Dainton (we've seen this one before but it's a good un).

Plus episodes of Special Branch and Gideon's Way :D

Our viewing for the next few days is sorted.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
I like the look of Ghostbusters Afterlife, and i hated Super 8, James Bond, nah, sick of it now
Still love The Hitman's Bodyguard, it's a big fav of mine Oooo talking about Hitler, i watched the Iron Sky, The Coming Race, liked it a lot

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently it tells us what the Nazis needed to see sense was a hug. Not sure about that.
We should have tried that during the Battle of France.

Having infiltrated the Ardennes and bypassed the Maginot Line, the Nazi war machine was received with open arms...

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Clerks 2 .. the entire film fo' free! .. watch this now .. hilarious, obscene but most importantly .. heart warming

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
Hadley Freeman, a huge fan of the original, has some interesting things to say here:
Ghostbusters Afterlife article

She once wrote Ghostbusters '84 showed the finest displays of masculinity any man can aspire to, and I don't have a problem with that. But I agree this looks kind of anonymous. If anything it reminds me of J.J. Abrams' Super 8, which Stranger Things ripped off completely - er, I mean, was inspired by but never credited.
When Stranger Things did Ghostbusters ..

Schrodinger's Zebra

Reaction score
Yesterday Mr Zebra and I came across Bridge on the River Kwai which neither of us had seen before.

Missed some of it as it was part-way through when we were channel-hopping but we saw a good hour/hour and a half or so and it was awfully good, and surprisingly gently humorous in parts.

EDIT: removed spoiler cos I wasn't sure if it was ok to put that in or not. :shy:

Last edited:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Yesterday Mr Zebra and I came across Bridge on the River Kwai which neither of us had seen before.

Missed some of it as it was part-way through when we were channel-hopping but we saw a good hour/hour and a half or so and it was awfully good, and surprisingly gently humorous in parts.

EDIT: removed spoiler cos I wasn't sure if it was ok to put that in or not. :shy:
See the entire film, it's a true classic.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I'm not so keen on the way it cuts away from Alec Guinness to William Holden just as things are heating up, but that wild ending is well worth the three hour wait.

@Schrodinger's Zebra - you can use "Spoiler" tags to mention spoilers, just click the three dots on the bar above your post and you'll see the bit to click drops down.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Reaction score
I'm not so keen on the way it cuts away from Alec Guinness to William Holden just as things are heating up, but that wild ending is well worth the three hour wait.

@Schrodinger's Zebra - you can use "Spoiler" tags to mention spoilers, just click the three dots on the bar above your post and you'll see the bit to click drops down.
Thank you - I knew about the spoiler tags, but I wasn't sure whether it was ok to say what I'd originally said in them :sorry:

Schrodinger's Zebra

Reaction score
Go for it, I'd be interested to know your impressions.
Oh, well what I'd said was this:

Towards the end of the film we were both shouting "Do it now!" at the screen

... it seems daft I suppose, but I was worried about what people would think of me saying that.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Well, some of us do like to see things
blown up.
It's the essence of a war movie, after all.

I actually own a British Army water bottle that was dropped in the River Kwai (one of the dried up bits) from WW2, around the time the film was set.

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Reaction score
Restored in glorious Cinerama for an iPhone near you...

BTW does this trailer contain the origin of a recurring joke in Police Squad?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Restored in glorious Cinerama for an iPhone near you...

BTW does this trailer contain the origin of a recurring joke in Police Squad?

I quite fancy seeing that now--the restoration looks very immediate, especially with that 'curved effect' that puts you amidst the action.

Can't see the Police Squad prototype.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Little Women: Writer/Director Greta Gerwig puts her stamp on this adaptation from the opening scene. Jo March (Saoirse Ronan) is obviously Louisa May Alcott as she sells a story to the publisher Dashwood (Tracy Letts), her clothing is more obviously masculine, unusual for the times, even a tad too hipsterish, in keeping more with the way Alcott would have dressed. Later the fourth wall disappears totally as Dashwood and Jo negotiate the ending of Little Women. The complex triangle between Jo, Amy March (Florence Pugh) and Laurie Laurence (Timothy Chalamet) is deftly handled. Jo's reticence/ love towards Laurie is expressed through gestures and facial expressions rather words most of the time. Amy is the mercurial yet well-meaning ingenue, who usurps Jo and goes to Paris with Aunt March (Meryl Streep) who portrays her role icily, the sort of aunt you'd like to leave locked in an attic. Overall a joy to watch. 9/10

Swifty

Reaction score
Clint Eastwood's new film, 'Richard Jewell' based on a true story .. first I've heard of this ..

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Can thoroughly recommend A Good Woman is Hard to Find, a Northern Irish thriller about a widowed single mother battling the gangsters who murdered her husband. I won't say any more so as not to spoil it, but Sarah Bolger is AMAZING in it, and no, she doesn't go all Cynthia Rothrock on their asses.

Trailer:

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Rewatching one of my favourite Sam Peckinpah movies - his second feature, Ride The High Country. The older I get the more I appreciate this film

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Satire involving Hitler is a finely balanced thing. It has to avoid giving offence.
So, it's a difficult thing to pull off well.
There's a certain Mr Brooks who can do it with impeccable good taste.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Seberg: A film based on actual events in the life of Jean Seberg, star of Breathless and other French New Wave classics. Covering the period 1968 to 1971 it illustrates how the FBI destroyed her life through gaslighting tactics, false information and releasing tapes obtained through bugging. Seberg (Kristen Stewart) wasn't the only victim in this though, there was an element of revolutionary tourism involved in her support of the Black Panthers and the more reformist movement led by Hakim Jamal (Anthony Mackie). Jamal's marriage and educational trust were destroyed when details of his affair with Seberg were leaked by the FBI. What should have been a taut thriller turns out to be a disappointment due to the rather flat direction by Benedict Andrews, he doesn't deliver on the sharp script provided by Joe Shrapnel and Anna Waterhouse. The acting generally isn't bad but given the subject matter I would have expected more passion, especially from Stewart. 6/10.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Kristen Stewart isn't a bad actress in the right role, but she just can't shake that recovering from a hangover look.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Kristen Stewart isn't a bad actress in the right role, but she just can't shake that recovering from a hangover look.
Given the amount of booze and drugs Seberg was imbibing, that was the perfect look for this film.