Non-Fortean Films

1917: The trenches are narrow but crowded, some soldiers on one side waiting to go over the top, some crouched on the other side, eating, smoking, crying, in shock, petting a terrier. When you're moving fast through a trench system tempers are short when you bump into troopers, they are likely bereaved of friends, seeing their mates lose limbs. Blake (Dean Charles Chapman) and Schofield (George MacKay) are on a mission to inform two isolated battalions of the Devonshires to call off an attack due the next morning, the Devons will be advancing into a trap. The stakes are higher for Blake, his brother is in one of the battalions. The messengers cross no mans land, bodies caught on the barbed wire, rats gnawing on corpses, dodging snipers, booby-traps once they reach the abandoned German trenches. Watching an aerial dogfight. This is truly a journey into the heart of darkness for Blake and Schofield.

Wonderfully filmed by Roger Deakins in subdued colours with shades of brown, tan, green and khaki predominating as the soldiers progress through the mud and fields. Also some great scenes underground and in shelled out buildings lit by flares. The script is spare but gripping as not just MacKay and Chapman put in great performances; there are also great supporting turns by Mark Strong, Colin Firth , Nabhaan Rizwan and Benedict Cumberbatch. Director/Writer Sam Mendes delivers a film which will remain in your memory long after the final credits roll. 9/10.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Although I possesed the background awareness that Twentieth Century Fox and Fox News were connected (despite the former being very much older than the latter), I never really associated them with each other and my divergent feelings towards the two brands sat comfortably alongside each other.

Am I irregular in this?

Anyway, Disney is binning the Fox name for films (though retaining some of the imagery):

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/disney-dropping-fox-20th-century-studios-1203470349/

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Although I possesed the background awareness that Twentieth Century Fox and Fox News were connected (despite the former being very much older than the latter), I never really associated them with each other and my divergent feelings towards the two brands sat comfortably alongside each other.

Am I irregular in this?

Anyway, Disney is binning the Fox name for films (though retaining some of the imagery):

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/disney-dropping-fox-20th-century-studios-1203470349/
I imagine it's because the Fox name is still owned by Murdoch's mob for their "news" outlets, and Disney prefer to be non-political, or less political anyway.

Bombshell: The story of the women who brought down Roger Alies, head of Fox News. John Lithgow is virtually unrecognisable as the obese Alies but portrays him with creepy gusto. Sadly Malcolm McDowell only has a cameo as Rupert Murdoch but makes those minutes count, Alies was dispensable if the Fox News money generator was to survive. The real star is Nicole Kidman as Gretchen Carlson who fed up with humiliation decides to sue Alies for sexual harassment, she knew what she was getting into and the travails she suffered during the fight are vividly portrayed. Charlzie Theron plays Megyn Kelly who has a run in with Trump and suffers a year of abuse from him and his supporters, the effect it has on her and her family will scorch your heart. But that heart will gladden when she joins in with Carlson. Margot Robbie and Kate McKinnon are both great in supporting roles. Jay Roach directs from a script by Charles Randolph and delivers a gripping drama. 8/10.

1917: The trenches are narrow but crowded, some soldiers on one side waiting to go over the top, some crouched on the other side, eating, smoking, crying, in shock, petting a terrier. When you're moving fast through a trench system tempers are short when you bump into troopers, they are likely bereaved of friends, seeing their mates lose limbs. Blake (Dean Charles Chapman) and Schofield (George MacKay) are on a mission to inform two isolated battalions of the Devonshires to call off an attack due the next morning, the Devons will be advancing into a trap. The stakes are higher for Blake, his brother is in one of the battalions. The messengers cross no mans land, bodies caught on the barbed wire, rats gnawing on corpses, dodging snipers, booby-traps once they reach the abandoned German trenches. Watching an aerial dogfight. This is truly a journey into the heart of darkness for Blake and Schofield.

Wonderfully filmed by Roger Deakins in subdued colours with shades of brown, tan, green and khaki predominating as the soldiers progress through the mud and fields. Also some great scenes underground and in shelled out buildings lit by flares. The script is spare but gripping as not just MacKay and Chapman put in great performances; there are also great supporting turns by Mark Strong, Colin Firth , Nabhaan Rizwan and Benedict Cumberbatch. Director/Writer Sam Mendes delivers a film which will remain in your memory long after the final credits roll. 9/10.
Sigh. Lawrence Fox is really Mr Angry these days.

https://twitter.com/juliamacfarlane
Julia Macfarlane @juliamacfarlane

Sikhs fought alongside British forces in the War. Here is a picture from 1913 of the 2nd Sikh Royal Infantry, and of Sikhs marching in France. More than 80,000 Sikhs died fighting for Britain. But Lawrence Fox is angry that 1917 showed Sikhs in the army: https://dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7910667/Laurence-Fox-slams-Oscar-winning-director-Sam-Mendes-incongruous-Sikh-soldier-1917.html…

11:40 AM · Jan 21, 2020·Twitter Web App

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
I'm in Chat, short quiz, just a bit of fun - film (fillum) poster showing the major cast members, before Googling it to death, try to guess

(i) Film title as it appeared on the poster
(ii) Price of poster on Ebay

Poster02.jpg

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I've just been told to watch this by my oldest mate, he says if John Hughes was still alive, he'd have made this teen film from 2018 back in the 80's .. high praise indeed

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
There's a new film show on BBC 4 on Thursday nights at 9 called Life Cinematic, where they get directors on and ask them to choose a bunch of clips to wax lyrical about. This week it was Sir Sam Mendes, very much in the news at the moment, and while he didn't pick anything left field (Taxi Driver, Dr Strangelove, Persona, Godfather 2, etc) , it was an entertaining hour, and it's always nice to hear interviewees being enthusiastic about film.

But next week - it's Edgar Wright! So expect clips from The Sentinel and Digby, the Biggest Dog in the World or something. Tune in or find it on the iPlayer.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Richard Donner has been trying to get this off the ground for years, but the TV show held him up. He's about 90 years old now. That script he has must be bloody brilliant.

Queen & Slim: Not Bonnie & Clyde maybe a bit more like True Romance crossed With Wild At Heart.Cleveland Ohio, Queen (Jodie Turner-Smith) is a lawyer she only went on a date with Slim (Daniel Kaluuya) because she had a bad day at work. They have a chance run in with a surly police officer who shoots and wounds Queen, in the ensuing struggle Slim grabs the officer's gun and shoots him dead. They flee the scene and thus begins a road movie in several parts.

Lena Waithe has supplied a sharp script but the the duo's decision to flee isn't totally convincing (Queen after all is a lawyer), they don't learn until later that the cop had previously killed a Black teenager and their action was now being seen as a revenge action. They meet some odd characters along the road including a moronic store clerk and a guy who thinks they are the new Panthers. Not all cops are stereotyped, they encounter a Sheriff who offers to help them but they couldn't accept as that would have ended the film after 30 minutes. Other bizarre characters emerge when arrive at Queen's Uncle's house in New Orleans.

The consequences of their actions are explored as others are moved to action. Some protest, some shoot at police. The very real fear of the Black community of police shootings plays a large part in the unfolding of the film. But it does show the complexities of the incident which started off the chase. Director Melina Matsoukas delivers an interesting thriller but it might have benefited from a 20 minute cut in it's 132 minute running time. 7/10.

Swifty

The Pink Angels (1972). Amazing early 70s drive-in movie about a gang of cross-dressing gay bikers, riding around, scaring the straights, ignoring beautiful women, bitching at each other, and generally baffling everyone they come in contact with. Plus the usual biker movie desert highways, groovy music, and diners full of suspicious locals. Funny, odd, unique little movie with an insane ending.

apinkangels01.jpg

apinkangels02.jpg

apinkangels03.jpg

The Rhythm Section: Yet another film about the creation of a female assassin. Blake Lively is down, a heroin addict, in a brothel. She had lost her family in an air crash three years ago, has survivors guilt. A reporter tells her that the plane was bombed, she acts like a junkie will, getting the reporter killed. She tracks down the reporters ex-MI6 contact, Jude Law. Eventually he puts her through cold turkey and trains her up as an assassin. But she's not finely honed, as she seeks out those responsible for the bombing it won't be easy.

Average spy/terrorist/assassin thriller. Lively's back story doesn't totally convince, she was from a middle-class background, there was a house, likely life insurance, money, payouts from airline for loss of four family members. Difficult even for a new addict to blow that much money and fall so low in three years. Law is gruff as the trainer but again, would he see a junkie ex-student as a potential assassin?

Things get more realistic when Lively goes into the field. Killing people close up isn't that easy. She hasn't got iron nerves or ultra-quick reflexies but does have enough drive and resolve to continue. Here the fragile but determined Lively is more convincing. Secrets are uncovered and there is perhaps one plot twist too many as the film wends it's way to the climax. Directed by Reed Morano, written by Mark Burnell (from his novel). 6/10.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
The Pink Angels (1972). Amazing early 70s drive-in movie about a gang of cross-dressing gay bikers, riding around, scaring the straights, ignoring beautiful women, bitching at each other, and generally baffling everyone they come in contact with. Plus the usual biker movie desert highways, groovy music, and diners full of suspicious locals. Funny, odd, unique little movie with an insane ending.

View attachment 22981
View attachment 22982
View attachment 22983
Gay bikers? Were they on acid?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Gaye Bikers on Acid were named as a tribute to Marvin Gaye. They were briefly on Network 7 in the 1980s and the reporter asked them why a tribute to Marvin, and got the reply "Because he's dead."

Anyway, The Pink Angels is a remarkable film, not least for the ending where...

They all end up slaughtered and hanging from trees.

Makes you wonder whose side the filmmakers were on. Werewolves on Wheels is a pretty wacky film too.

Swifty

Gaye Bikers on Acid were named as a tribute to Marvin Gaye. They were briefly on Network 7 in the 1980s and the reporter asked them why a tribute to Marvin, and got the reply "Because he's dead."

Anyway, The Pink Angels is a remarkable film, not least for the ending where...

They all end up slaughtered and hanging from trees.

Makes you wonder whose side the filmmakers were on. Werewolves on Wheels is a pretty wacky film too.
One of my mates used to hang around with them, they added the e to gay in truth (despite what they said to an interviewer) because they weren't gay. He made me a copy of a VHS tape they'd done which, as far as I know, has never been released of them mucking about around Coventry including a close up of Mary Mary the drummer doing a huge shit.

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood: Tom Hanks as the revered US children's TV performer and puppeteer Mr Rogers. He comes into contact with a troubled journalist Tom Junod (Matthew Rhys) and sets about putting things right. Roger' TV show is used as a device to frame the story and it even involves fantasy sequences featuring Rogers' puppets. What could have been a mawkish sentimental mess turns out to be a moving and entertaining film. Chris Cooper plays Junod's estranged father with Susan Watson as Andrea Junod. Tom's long suffering wife, an attorney who seems to make all of the compromises. Directed by Marielle Heller from a screenplay by Noah Harpster and Micah Fitzerman-Blue (based on an article by Tom Junod). 8/10

ravensocks

Devoted Cultist
Queen & Slim

Director Melina Matsoukas delivers an interesting thriller but it might have benefited from a 20 minute cut in it's 132 minute running time. 7/10.
I saw this a while ago as part of Cineworld's secret screening. Was very watchable, but I'd agree with the 20 minute (possibly longer) cut. Some striking scenes, but there was far too many sweeping vistas of fields and scenery and landscapes. If they cut 90% of those, it would have left a nice, tight little story. I would recommend, but I'd also fast forward through some scenery!

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
I saw this a while ago as part of Cineworld's secret screening. Was very watchable, but I'd agree with the 20 minute (possibly longer) cut. Some striking scenes, but there was far too many sweeping vistas of fields and scenery and landscapes. If they cut 90% of those, it would have left a nice, tight little story. I would recommend, but I'd also fast forward through some scenery!
Virtually every film made during the last 20 years could do with losing 20 minutes – this is one of my rules of modern cinema. Even films that I've really liked would usually have been better for some deft use of the editor's razor blade, or its digital equivalent...

The Gentlemen: Wonderful comedy gangster film which though involving savage violence is leavened with a vein of dark humour. An ensemble cast plays out the story of Weed kingpin Mickey Pearson's (Matthew Conaughey) attempts to sell his crime empire. Hugh Grant plays an annoying private investigator who attempts to blackmail Pearson. Charlie Hunnam is Raymond, Mickey's right-hand man, along with Colin Farrell (leader of an incompetent small gang) he gets the best lines in the movie. When the two of them are together the repartee is razor sharp, great screenplay. Many twists and turns as gang wars break out but there are some really disturbing scenes. I wish this treat had been longer. Written and Directed by Guy Ritchie. 8/10.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Very evocative article about director John Boorman (Point Blank, Deliverance, Zardoz, Excalibur), now 87:
Boorman article

Saddest bit, he lives alone in his country house, like a "hermit", but each night when he gets up to visit the bathroom, he does so quietly and in the dark so as not to wake his wife. It's only on the way back to bed as he wakes up a bit that he remembers she died a while ago.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Superb - go & see it. Worth seeing on a big screen - the cinematography is stunning.
Believe Hunck. See it on a big screen before it goes away into DVD. Just saw it. Brilliant, and horrifying and sad. Technically amazing, but the special effects don't overwhelm because the acting is stellar. Just see it, if you can deal with sober content combined with very realistic props.