Non-Fortean Films

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Actually this film shows the reality of the situation - how those at the top of the pyramid couldn't function without an army of servants. Something which is usually glossed over in these period dramas.
What blows my mind is that some of our royals still have this level of "support".

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
Just watched 'My Life as McDull', which is free on YouTube this month. It's a strange, sweet but sad cartoon film which is about as quintessentially Hong Kongish as it's possible for anything to be.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Earth And Blood: French gangster film. A gang steal back heroin from a police station but then try to cheat their boss. A sawmill owner becomes involved in the resulting mess. Some convincing action scenes in the police station, in a forest and in the sawmill. Sami Bouajila plays Said the ordinary man who fights back. Nothing particularly original but it's a competent thriller which keeps the tension going. Directed and co-written by Julien Leclercq. 7/10. On Netflix.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
A great talent, but a diabetic who didn't listen to doctor's advice about what he should be eating to stay alive. He died too young, but it was his own silly fault. Loved him on SCTV.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Dangerous Lies: Neo-Noir mystery, a care assistant is left a house by a wealthy old man. She's broke, so this is good news for her and her husband. But there are a few complications, not least being the $100k they find in a trunk. Plenty of red herrings and a nosey detective add to the drama. Nothing particularly new in this film but it's engrossing/enjoyable. Directed by Michael M. Scott. 7/10. On Netflix.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anybody seen Frailty?

It having just been the lamented anniversary of Bill Paxton's death, the film has been recommended.

I'm going to watch Near Dark (again) first.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Frailty quickly became a cult movie, mostly for its love it or hate it ending. Personally I think Paxton took an intriguing, sympathetic story of mania and pissed it up the wall, but some have other ideas. No spoilers!

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Monos: Lord Of The Flies meets Apocalypse Now and even takes a trip into it's Heart Of Darkness source material. Eight teenage guerrillas (members of the Organisation) are guarding a hostage on a hilltop in Colombia, living in old ruins. They also look after a cow. An adult officer drills them and gives orders before departing. They have to get his permission to form relationships. After a drunken party and wild shooting the cow is killed. They cover this up but it results in tensions and tragedy. They live a wild lifestyle only occasionally tempered by discipline. When an army attack occurs and we encounter adult rebels the difference is all too obvious. The hostage, Doctora, is sometimes treated as one of them by the teenagers, on other occasions she is mistreated. The dynamic of a group of basically children pushed prematurely into an adult world of war (as are teenage soldiers on the other side) is explored through the breakdown of group solidarity until eventually a Lord Of The Flies Type situation occurs, compete with pigs head as a homage to the original. Written and Directed by Alejandro Landes. 8/10. On Netflix.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Days of the Bagnold Summer - critic on the radio said it was the most middle class thing she'd seen in ages, and I can't disagree, but this is so well done, it reminded me of Ever Decreasing Circles, not the characters, but the tone and the poignancy. Earl Cave (son of Nick Cave) is great as the teenage metalhead having a crisis, but Monica Dolan as his longsuffering mum is brilliant, one of the best performances of the year. Guaranteed to make you want to phone your mum (assuming you have a nice mum).

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Teaser trailer for the new Bill & Tedd film

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The trailer looks...less than great :(

But I don't care! So looking forward to it. :)

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Me and You (Io et Te): Bertolucci's last film, while it may seem insubstantial the touch of a master is still there. Most of the action occurs in a basement - an introverted 14 year old, Lorenzo (Jacopo Olmo Antinori) , pretends to go on a school ski trip but hides in his apartment building's cellar. Then his 25 year old half-sister Olivia (Tea Falco) arrives, having nowhere to stay, she doesn't get on with her stepmother. They hang out together in a storeroom containing the contents of the apartment's previous owner, a Russian Countess.Problems pile up as Olivia is a heroin addict trying to go cold turkey. A touching film which offers hop for the futures of both of the protagonists ( great performances by Falco and Antinori) but certain threats remain. Directed and Co-Written by Bernardo Bertolucci. 8/10.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
The trailer looks...less than great :(

But I don't care! So looking forward to it. :)
Oh, I don't know, it made me laugh. And Chris Matheson and Ed Solomon are back as the writers, so I'm optimistic.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, I don't know, it made me laugh. And Chris Matheson and Ed Solomon are back as the writers, so I'm optimistic.
Perhaps I'm imagining it, but while Keanu is doing Ted's 'jerky' physical mannerisms, he seems rather stiff--especially in the face.

Perhaps the reason will become clear in the plot.

Swifty

Reaction score
Perhaps I'm imagining it, but while Keanu is doing Ted's 'jerky' physical mannerisms, he seems rather stiff--especially in the face.

Perhaps the reason will become clear in the plot.
Keanu has always done that jerky thing from memory from the last two films .. I think he was pretending to be stupid for his role? .. comedy reasons etc? ..

Swifty

Reaction score
Today is Bill and Ted day.
Every day is Bill and Ted day .. STATION!!

everyone loves those films but IMO Keanu 'flowed' better in 'River's Edge' ..

.. and how to attempt to score some weed off Denis Hopper in that film ..

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
*************POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT************

The penny has only just dropped but ... I think those two insanely muscle bound prisoners that Bill and Ted are talking to about presumably music at the end of the teaser trailer are in fact future Bill and Ted dude... that's Alex and Keanu in F/X foam gelatine suits .. dude ..

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The character of Thea Preston (Teds daughter) is played by Samara Weaving. Neice of Hugo Weaving. Aka agent Smith in the matrix. Which starred keanu reeves....

Whohhhhhhhhhhhh.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
*************POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT************

The penny has only just dropped but ... I think those two insanely muscle bound prisoners that Bill and Ted are talking to about presumably music at the end of the teaser trailer are in fact future Bill and Ted dude... that's Alex and Keanu in F/X foam gelatine suits .. dude ..
I thought that myself, but wondered how that tied in with the other movies. Then I thought, hey, it's Bill and Ted, of course it's going to be ridiculous. Must admit I'm really looking forward to this, I could do with a laugh and it's great to see Keanu and Alex reunited.