Non-Fortean Films

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it's really funny! The Plan 9 of DTV action! The director's other "movies" are amusing too.

Will try to watch!

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Watched Drop Dead Gorgeous last night, first time in years.

So funny. Some proper lol moments.

From around 1999, its a mockumentary of a small town beauty pagent with quite an all star cast (including Amy Adams first role).

I remembered Denise Richards dancing with jesus but had forgotten about the soylent green monolgue.

Some great dialogue

Drop Dead Gorgeous (1999)

Amber Atkins: My mom never hid the fact that my dad chose his career over us. What was it she always said?

Loretta: Once a carnie, always a carnie.

Amber Atkins: Mom still cries every time she sees a tilt-a-whirl or a fat lady in a tube top.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0157503/quotes?item=qt0482084

Even little things like all the adults smoking, even a firefighter while attending a fire.

Just brilliant.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Recently watched "Knives Out!" with Daniel Craig.
It's rather jolly good! Very clever, the plot interesting, the handling of it is too, and even the expected twist is unexpected!

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Just watched 7500 (2020) on Amazon Prime.
Islamic terrorists hijack a flight from Berlin to Paris.
It's unbelievably tense, claustrophobic and seriously harrowing.
Many long scenes were obviously filmed in one long take.
The most powerful film I've seen for a long time.
Highly recommended.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6436726/

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just watched 7500 (2020) on Amazon Prime.
Islamic terrorists hijack a flight from Berlin to Paris.
It's unbelievably tense, claustrophobic and seriously harrowing.
Many long scenes were obviously filmed in one long take.
The most powerful film I've seen for a long time.
Highly recommended.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6436726/
more tense claustrophobic and harrowing then united 93?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Won't there be someone... missing?

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Reaction score
Here's one of those crazy Ghanaian posters which add a bunch of insane stuff not in the movie by a long shot.

Covered up because it's NSFW!

dirty.jpg

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Yes, it's really funny! The Plan 9 of DTV action! The director's other "movies" are amusing too.
Without checking, is that bloke with the massive jaw whatshisface who played Maniac Cop?

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Recently watched "Knives Out!" with Daniel Craig.
It's rather jolly good! Very clever, the plot interesting, the handling of it is too, and even the expected twist is unexpected!
This was one of the last films Mrs Cycleboy and I enjoyed at the cinema before the plague struck – at the Memo Arts Centre in Barry, Wales – and we most enjoyed it. Now that we've accidentally signed up to Amazon Prime we may watch it again. Making the most of Prime we watched Ready Player One last night and Number 37 tonight. We preferred the former, though it is totally bonkers – and it has to break the world record for most film references...

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Without checking, is that bloke with the massive jaw whatshisface who played Maniac Cop?

Robert Z'Dar, straight to video baddie extraordinaire, yes! No longer with us, sadly. He had cherubism, which affected his looks. Apparently a bit of a "character".

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Just watched "Danger Close: The Battle of Long Tan" on Netflix.

One of the rare Vietnam films to focus on the Australian war effort.

Almost two hours of visceral and bloody action, in which an isolated Aussie force, with dwindling ammo, defeated a Viet Cong force almost 20 times their size.

Features Vikings' Ragnar Lothbruk (Travis Fimmel) using his native accent.

Powerful stuff.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Trailer 2

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes...

That's brought a smile to my face. And, indeed: "Be excellent to each other". If only most of the planet could manage that simple act we'd be in a much better situation.

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
Too bad George Carlin is no longer with us. He was always excellent.

Bill & Ted Face the Music had to scrap its plans for a CGI George Carlin
The filmmakers wanted to reunite him with Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter for an emotional moment

By Tasha Robinson@TashaRobinson Aug 27, 2020, 11:35am EDT

The new feature film Bill & Ted Face The Music was in development for more than a decade. The third movie in a trilogy that started in 1989 with the sleeper hit Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure hits VOD and American theaters on Aug. 28, but it’s faced a long road to screens, and a series of studio changes and necessary revisions along the way. One of the most significant: director Dean Parisot tells Polygon that the filmmaking team had to scrap a sequence involving a computer-generated re-creation of George Carlin.

In the original Bill & Ted, teenage burnouts Bill S. Preston (Alex Winter) and Theodore Logan (Keanu Reeves) are emerging from a Circle K convenience store when they’re confronted by Rufus (Carlin), a time traveler from 2688 who tells them they’re meant to unite the world with their rock music. To help out, he introduces them to their own time-traveling selves, and sends them on a trip through time to help them pass a history class. In Bill & Ted Face The Music, the doofy duo realize they’re middle-aged musical failures who still haven’t written the song that’s supposed to bring about world peace and a magical utopia, so they head out on a new time-traveling trip to solve the problem. Parisot says that journey was supposed to include a jump back to the Circle K, where they would ask Rufus for insight.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/8/27/2...-cameo-george-carlin-scene-director-interview

Last edited by a moderator:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
The Hater: Interesting take on the operation of an online troll farm and an outsider driven to bitterness by rejection. This outsider, Tomasz (Marciej Musialowski) is a master manipulator, he posts from both sides of the political divide as he foments violence. his main object is to mobilise a crazy to attack a progressive candidate supported by the family who cut him loose. Disturbing and violent with a great performance by Musialowski. Directed by Jan Komasa from a screenplay by Mateusz Pacewicz. On Netflix. 8/10.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9506474/

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
A White, White Day: A policeman (Ingvar Egert Siguroson) is mourning the death of his wife, he is investigating the car accident in which she died. He suspects a man who had an affair with his wife might have been involved. His obsession grows disrupting many lives and results in violence. Those are the bare bones of the plot but this is a much richer film. The bleak Icelandic landscape (often shrouded in fog or mist) plays a large part in the film, a rock tumbling down a hill eventually landing in a river symbolising Ingvar's loss. Ingvar is renovating a house for his daughter and granddaughter while he is on compassionate leave. His relationship with the girl (Ida Mekkin Hlynnsdottir) is central to the film, he is constantly minding her, even bringing her with him when he meets with his police colleagues. This is a labour of love rather than a duty. Writer/Director Hlynor Pálmason delivers an intriguing exploration of love, grief and human frailty. 8/10.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
A White, White Day: A policeman (Ingvar Egert Siguroson) is mourning the death of his wife, he is investigating the car accident in which she died. He suspects a man who had an affair with his wife might have been involved. His obsession grows disrupting many lives and results in violence. Those are the bare bones of the plot but this is a much richer film. The bleak Icelandic landscape (often shrouded in fog or mist) plays a large part in the film, a rock tumbling down a hill eventually landing in a river symbolising Ingvar's loss. Ingvar is renovating a house for his daughter and granddaughter while he is on compassionate leave. His relationship with the girl (Ida Mekkin Hlynnsdottir) is central to the film, he is constantly minding her, even bringing her with him when he meets with his police colleagues. This is a labour of love rather than a duty. Writer/Director Hlynor Pálmason delivers an intriguing exploration of love, grief and human frailty. 8/10.

You don't mention how funny it is, one of the better black comedies I've seen for a while.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
A White, White Day: A policeman (Ingvar Egert Siguroson) is mourning the death of his wife, he is investigating the car accident in which she died.
Um. While it may be a good film, would an officer be assigned to the investigation of his wife's fatal accident? Really?
I mean, Iceland has much to celebrate but in the 1970's, when the police discovered that putting suspects into prolonged solitary confinement - and used such as a threat - and they could clear up one double-disappearance, I'm willing to question police procedure on the island state.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guðmundur_and_Geirfinnur_case

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Um. While it may be a good film, would an officer be assigned to the investigation of his wife's fatal accident? Really?
I mean, Iceland has much to celebrate but in the 1970's, when the police discovered that putting suspects into prolonged solitary confinement - and used such as a threat - and they could clear up one double-disappearance, I'm willing to question police procedure on the island state.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guðmundur_and_Geirfinnur_case

He was carry out a freelance investigation, I should have clarified that.

You don't mention how funny it is, one of the better black comedies I've seen for a while.

A small vein of dark humour but imho it didn't define the film.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
A small vein of dark humour but imho it didn't define the film.

The scene where he stages the world's most rubbish breakout at the police station was hilarious! But a sense of humour is a very personal thing, I suppose.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Watched Free Fire on Prime tonight.

It's fairly blatantly Ben Wheatley's homage to Reservoir Dogs, with wall to wall shooting, swearing and wise cracks.

Pretty mindless sure, but outrageously entertaining!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4158096/