Non-Fortean Films

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Watched Free Fire on Prime tonight.

It's fairly blatantly Ben Wheatley's homage to Reservoir Dogs, with wall to wall shooting, swearing and wise cracks.

Pretty mindless sure, but outrageously entertaining!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4158096/

Local location fact - the indoor scenes were filmed in the old Argus newspaper printworks in Brighton, and the dock scenes were actually Shoreham-By-Sea.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Les Miserables: Not the musical, a gritty thriller set in Montfermeil where Victor Hugo wrote and partially set the eponymous npvel. It's set in 2018 but based on a real life 2018 incident. A tough police unit patrols the rough areas, they have a modus vivendi with organised crooks but crack down on young offenders. A lion cub has been stolen from a gypsy run circus, the gypsies come into conflict with the immigrant community. THis leads on inexorably to an incident where the police shoot a teenager in the face with a flash ball. The film explores how local crooks pose as community leaders but in reality impose their own oppression on the populace. The Muslim Brotherhood are in competition with them and are portrayed through rose-tinted glasses in this film. When the youth rise up they don't just target the police. Writer/Director Ladj Ly has delivered a powerful thriller using many non-professional actors. 8/10.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
The Road Not Taken: A day in the life of Leo (Javier Bardem) who is suffering from dementia. As his daughter Molly (Elle Fanning) brings him to various medical appointments he tries to escape from a taxi and ends up in hospital but is soon released to inflict yet more mayhem on Molly. In his head he is experiencing differing scenarios where he was abandoned by his first love, Dolores (Salma Hayek) but might have gotten her to stay; in another he is on a Greek island. These visions morph together eventually, even though they take place decades in the past, his age remains the same.An interesting exploration of what dementia entails, not just for the sufferer but also their loved ones. Molly is fiercely defensive of Leo, feeling that he is being denied agency, his ex-wife Rita (Laura Linney) is more cynical. Some disturbing scenes but the film also shows how confused people, especially those who appear to be immigrants, can fall foul of the law. Good performances all round and writer/director Sally Potter delivers a moving tale of love, loss and what might have been. 7/10.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I watched It Couldn't Happen Here last night. It's somewhere between an art-house film and an extended and very English music video.

I'm not sure that it means very much, though it throws up enough surrealistic chaff to make you suspect that it might, but I enjoyed almost everything about it all the same.

The two lads from the pet shop boys are the main characters, but they certainly don't 'star' (they kind of wander through, delivering deadpan lines). Gareth Hunt, Neil Dickinson, Barbara Windsor and Joss Ackland play almost disquieting pantomime roles, Ackland absolutely stealing the show as a bonkers priest and a psychotic hitchhiker.

Has anybody else see it?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I watched It Couldn't Happen Here last night. It's somewhere between an art-house film and an extended and very English music video.

I'm not sure that it means very much, though it throws up enough surrealistic chaff to make you suspect that it might, but I enjoyed almost everything about it all the same.

The two lads from the pet shop boys are the main characters, but they certainly don't 'star' (they kind of wander through, delivering deadpan lines). Gareth Hunt, Neil Dickinson, Barbara Windsor and Joss Ackland play almost disquieting pantomime roles, Ackland absolutely stealing the show as a bonkers priest and a psychotic hitchhiker.

Has anybody else see it?

Ol' Joss apparently regretted being in that video.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Ol' Joss apparently regretted being in that video.

As far as I know, the film was cannibalised for the Always On My Mind, music video.

Did he regret appearing in the film or that it has been adapted to a music video?

He's great in it.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
As far as I know, the film was cannibalised for the Always On My Mind, music video.

Did he regret appearing in the film or that it has been adapted to a music video?

He's great in it.
I think it was the music video he regretted.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Joss Ackland is famously disparaging about almost every film he's been in, he just does them for the money. Theatre's his thing.

Anyway, I saw It Couldn't Happen Here decades ago and thought it was pretentious rubbish. But now it's been rereleased this year, I gave it another try and the pretension I saw now looks like wit and imagination, Gareth Hunt in particular really made me laugh ("No 'arm done!"). The music's great, it has a really satisfying British eccentricity about it, and if Neil and Chris are no actors, that's kind of to the project's benefit, because they're surrounded by people who can. Underrated and recommended, maybe its time has come.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Oh, and Biggles is in it!

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
There's going to be a big budget Madonna musical/biopic, directed and co-written by Queen Madge herself:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...versals-faith-in-movie-musicals/#7749f7391606
Write the feme choon, sing the feme choon...

I am actually intrigued.
I'm no fan, at all, but Madonna is renowned for protecting her image. And considering that (back catalogue excepted) she's not exactly current, is this going to be a biopic or a re-imagined biopic where she airbrushes failures and pretends that somehow she's "down wi' da yoof?" or whatever is current?
I mean, it's like Bananarama announcing a movie of their rise to stardom before Shakespear's Sister happened: many music afficianados would say "Banana-what?"

Stillill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score

Has anybody else see it?

It’s on my Amazon wish list. I’m not a massive fan of the Pet Shop Boys but it sounded quite interesting.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
There's going to be a big budget Madonna musical/biopic, directed and co-written by Queen Madge herself:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...versals-faith-in-movie-musicals/#7749f7391606
Write the feme choon, sing the feme choon...

I am actually intrigued.
I'm no fan, at all, but Madonna is renowned for protecting her image. And considering that (back catalogue excepted) she's not exactly current, is this going to be a biopic or a re-imagined biopic where she airbrushes failures and pretends that somehow she's "down wi' da yoof?" or whatever is current?
I mean, it's like Bananarama announcing a movie of their rise to stardom before Shakespear's Sister happened: many music afficianados would say "Banana-what?"

"Banana- what" were way bigger and better than SS thank you very much and I would imagine a lot of people who grew up in the 80's would agree. :mad::D

Both commercially and artistically - (funboy 3 they did 2 songs with them)

skinny

aka Wuluwait, Boatman of the Dead
Reaction score
Madonna's first album was fantastic. 10/10
After the 80s she got too self-indulgent for me.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
"Banana- what" were way bigger and better than SS thank you very much and I would imagine a lot of people who grew up in the 80's would agree. :mad::D
Both commercially and artistically - (funboy 3 they did 2 songs with them)
Don't mistake me. Though of course I've heard of Bananarama (I was grown up and working during the 80's), and I am a fan of the Fun Boy Three, my point was that the current music-listening audience would listen to the name Madonna and regard her as a musical equivalent of a museum piece.

Ogdred Weary

The Lich
Reaction score
Don't mistake me. Though of course I've heard of Bananarama (I was grown up and working during the 80's), and I am a fan of the Fun Boy Three, my point was that the current music-listening audience would listen to the name Madonna and regard her as a musical equivalent of a museum piece.

I think you were replying to naughty felid.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Madonna's first album was fantastic. 10/10
After the 80s she got too self-indulgent for me.

I picked up 'Desperately Seeking Susan' quite recently but have yet to watch it - although I have never knowingly listened to a Madonna track, that film together with 'Who's That Girl' really caught the feel of the mid '80's. Even in the Beano at the time, there was a missing dog poster in the background of a strip with the legend 'Desperately seeking Towser'

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
I picked up 'Desperately Seeking Susan' quite recently but have yet to watch it - although I have never knowingly listened to a Madonna track, that film together with 'Who's That Girl' really caught the feel of the mid '80's. Even in the Beano at the time, there was a missing dog poster in the background of a strip with the legend 'Desperately seeking Towser'
It's actually quite an enjoyable film, I think.

Ogdred Weary

The Lich
Reaction score
It’s on my Amazon wish list. I’m not a massive fan of the Pet Shop Boys but it sounded quite interesting.

Ordered the VHS(!) from my local HMV as a teen, I was a bit underwhelmed despite being a massive fan. I never re watched it, might enjoy it more now or might think it was pretentious slightly amateurish bollocks

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score

Watch out for the triplets, then watch Three Identical Strangers for afters.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Very interesting discussion of Get Carter on Radio 3 tonight, including Mike Hodges, who directed it:
Programme link

Also stuff about Ted Lewis who wrote the original novel (anyone here read it?). Classic film, of course... but can you imagine Michael Caine with a Newcastle accent?

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Very interesting discussion of Get Carter on Radio 3 tonight, including Mike Hodges, who directed it:
Programme link

Also stuff about Ted Lewis who wrote the original novel (anyone here read it?). Classic film, of course... but can you imagine Michael Caine with a Newcastle accent?

A truly great film Newcastle Noir. Caine deserved an Oscar for his performance,

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

Has anybody else see it?

Bloody hell .. it's just like Cromer!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
A truly great film Newcastle Noir. Caine deserved an Oscar for his performance,

Agreed, and interesting to hear on that programme that it was originally Scunthorpe noir! Surprisingly, they didn't mention the bloke in the pub with six fingers on his hand. Maybe that's passé.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
The Devil All the Time 2020 Netflix

(semi-spoilers included)

A nihilistic drama set around mid-Western America that spans a few years after the war until the late 60's.

What to say? The central character is a Eugene Russell, (later played by an excellent Tom Holland), who is a kid that sees his family not just destruct but just jump through the window whilst on fire screaming. (they didn't actually do that but they could in this movie)

You have Fargo-Esque sub-plots that involve firstly a corrupt sheriff and the next a couple of serial killers.

It's a story about how fucking awful people can be and how some of those people will get their just deserts, I'm guessing they thought irony would be a big thing, but it just came across as "let's do a high-brow Rob Zombie pic".

I'm ok knocking Christianity. The film massively portrays Christians as either possessed by the holy ghost or just sex offenders. The women are all majorly two dimensional.

My issue is apart from the misogyny is that you never find out what the fuck motivates and drives the characters, outside of the main character.

*semi spoiler*

The one thing that really got me was why the "bait" part of the serial killer combo suddenly went from normal to a serial killer and then "I'm bored" of all this later on.

The Sheriff-line is a mess and totally under-developed.

Patterson does a good job. Tom Holland was excellent without those superpowers.

Bonkers - a better producer and editor would have made this watchable and a better director.

5.5 out of 10 just for Tom Holland.

It's grim to watch and unless you are a Tom Holland fan or a Robert Patterson collector I'd avoid.

In these time we need different.

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Here's some good news, film buffs:
News story

Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema has three more episodes upcoming, Pop Movies, Brit Comedies and Cult Movies. On BBC4... soonish, I'm guessing.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Darc: Interpol agent Lafique (Armand Assante) persuades hardman Darc (Tony Schiena) to infiltrate the Yakuza clan who have kidnapped Lafique's daughter. Darc has his own grudged to settle with this clan, stretching back to when he was a young boy. The dark world of human trafficking is explored. Some disturbing scenes, decapitations, multiple killings extreme violence. Very much an adult film. Darc is a John Wicks type character, wiping out his foes by the dozen but it's done in a stylish (if gruesome) manner so you're able to suspend disbelief. While Darc's boyhood is explored in flashbacks there is only one brief flash which hints at how he gained his martial skills. Directed by Julius Nasso, written by Tony Schiena and Dennis Venter. On Netflix. 7/10.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Just watched The Jesus Rolls on Sky.

Whilst it wasn't quite The Big Lebowski 2 that I was hoping for, it was full of enough bizarre but compelling scenes and quirky humour to hold my interest for 90 minutes.
Susan Sarandon, although knocking on 70, is still naturally smoulderingly sexy, but Audrey Tautou, who stole all our hearts in Amélie, looks disturbingly anorexic and seems to try a bit too hard.
Jesus (John Turturro) is great and (hooray!) reprises the iconic ball-licking scene.
Apparently, several scenes were a homage to Gérard Depardieu's roguish French 1970s anarchic comedy/drama Les Valseuses. I can see that, but Jesus Rolls has enough of its own character to stand up as masterful entertainment in its own right.
Excellent soundtrack too.
Put aside thoughts of the Coen Bros masterpiece and enjoy this distant spin-off, featuring one tangential character, for what it is.
4 or 5 genuine laugh-out-loud moments, a big smile on my face for the rest of the movie, excepting one scene that made my jaw drop.
Well worth a look!