Non-Fortean Films

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Peppermint: For some bizarre reason Netflix have tagged this film as Teen. It's actually a violent Revenge/Vigilante movie. Jennifer Garner's husband and daughter are murdered by members of a drug cartel, due to corruption those responsible evade justice. Five years later the trio involved are found hanging by their heels from an LA bridge, Garner is back. She's not satisfied with this though, she wants to wipe out the cartel's operations and kill it's leader. Scenes of extreme violence predominate but as it's mostly the gang members who are shot. stabbed etc this shouldn't be too upsetting, still this is not a film for the squeamish or faint of heart. Above average for it's genre and Garner is convincing in her role. Directed by Pierre Morel from a screenplay by Chad St. John. On Netflix. 7/10.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
They tag all sorts of inappropriate stuff as "teen" :evillaugh:
If you don't understand it, call it teen. No one (not teen) will watch it, teens won't watch it and censors will wonder what the heck is going on with teens these days and walk away.

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Bill and ted face the music, while its not as funny as its predecessors, its still got some laugh out loud moments, and is quite moving in places, nowhere near as bogus as I feared, in fact its most excellent.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Bill and ted face the music, while its not as funny as its predecessors, its still got some laugh out loud moments, and is quite moving in places, nowhere near as bogus as I feared, in fact its most excellent.
So... non-heinous?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The Borat/Giluliani prank reminds me of one of David Niven's anecdotes about Erroll Flynn. He was set up with a sex worker disguised as a schoolgirl so her 'mother' (the madam) could 'catch' him and raise hell.

Niven and co. found this hilarious, but nobody seemed concerned that Flynn was capable of trying to make an underage girl have sex with him.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
The Borat/Giluliani prank reminds me of one of David Niven's anecdotes about Erroll Flynn. He was set up with a sex worker disguised as a schoolgirl so her 'mother' (the madam) could 'catch' him and raise hell.

Niven and co. found this hilarious, but nobody seemed concerned that Flynn was capable of trying to make an underage girl have sex with him.

In his autobiography, Flynn denied he had ever been involved with underage girls and this had been a smear campaign against him. At the time of Flynn's death, he was dating actress Beverly Aadland. She was 17 years old.

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
anybody watched this? it will either be good or total poo, but at least the Canadians get a good role.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Talking of Borat...here’s a giant one going westwards on the Thames
A5FD9603-1556-4C0C-AA2F-67EC9AC09AAE.jpeg

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Borat 2 is out on Amazon Prime Video tomorrow.
Can't wait!

Borat Tweeted about Trump "He not racist. Black guys love him so much they kneel before him.”

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/film/2020-10-01/borat-2-release-date-amazon-prime/

Absolutely brilliant!

I lost track of how many laugh-out-loud scenes there were, along with several moments of genuine poignancy.
Baron Cohen's audacity is jaw-dropping at times, but the young Bulgarian actress Maria Baklova, who plays Borat's daughter, probably steals the show.

Unmissable!

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely brilliant!

I lost track of how many laugh-out-loud scenes there were, along with several moments of genuine poignancy.
Baron Cohen's audacity is jaw-dropping at times, but the young Bulgarian actress Maria Baklova, who plays Borat's daughter, probably steals the show.

Unmissable!
It’s the sort of thing where if you liked the first one you will love this one. There are some hilarious scenes, some cringeworthy ones and as BMC says some genuinely poignant ones. One or two people come across as very good examples of human beings. And you have to admire Sacha Baron Cohen’s balls and I’m not talking about when he’s wearing the mankini!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
It’s the sort of thing where if you liked the first one you will love this one. There are some hilarious scenes, some cringeworthy ones and as BMC says some genuinely poignant ones. One or two people come across as very good examples of human beings. And you have to admire Sacha Baron Cohen’s balls and I’m not talking about when he’s wearing the mankini!
I think SBC is the bravest person on the planet.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
I have to watch this film now.

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
anybody watched this? it will either be good or total poo, but at least the Canadians get a good role.
too answer my own question, it is good, it lays the captains religion on a bit heavy, some of the cgi looked a bit ropey on my monitor so would look very bad on a cinema screen, the Germans taunting the convoy was silly and when it has two clueless RN destroyers at the beginning of the movie i was getting ready to hate it, but the action is realistic and tense, plus it shows the complexity of protecting a convoy very well.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Absolutely brilliant!

Unmissable!

Laugh out loud and humour to make you cringe and turn your head while trying not to wet yourself from laughing. The scene where he's disguised as a Jew (Borat's impression of one) and he walks into a Synagogue had me gasping at the audacity.
Brilliant, comical, satirical and hits all the right notes. It just goes to show you that not too much has changed in 14 years and the world still needs a kick in the arse and a dose of reality once in a while.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Kazakhstan's tourist board has embraced Borat's catchphrase!

My eldest son took a trip though most of the 'Stans' 3 years ago (excluding Pakistan or Afghanistan) and said Kazakhstan was one of the most scenic & beautiful places he's visited (and he's very well travelled). After seeing the photos he took, I'd have to agree with him.
He did leave there with a bout of dysentery which left a sour taste in his mouth amongst other things and laid him low during a week in Istanbul.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Re Borat, I feel like I must've seen a different film - I thought it was very poor indeed, almost terrible in comparison with the first Borat film, with very few laughs.

Many of the scenes were clearly staged, with different camera views showing more than one camera used. His problem was probably he's now known as a spoof from the first film in which he could be taken as a genuine naive furriner. He's lost the shock of the new.

I found it very flat with none of the bravado & shock of Borat 1 which was a different kettle of fish with many genuinely hilarious/cringeworthy scenes. Even the Guiliani scene was not too damning although that was obviously the intention.

3 out of 10 in my book. Wouldn't bother seeing again.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I don't find Borat funny, but Bruno was hilarious, I'd like to see a sequel to that. Grimsby was so bad taste it was really funny too!

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Loosely based on an experience Dan Ackroyd once had, he wrote, produced and directed a weird as hell comedy horror film called 'Nothing But Trouble'. The film has a crazy 106 year old judge who has people executed for minor traffic violations in a giant spooky mansion filled with booby traps and other weird family members. It stars Dan Ackroyd, Chevy Chase, John Candy and Demi Moore. The closest films I can compare it to would be 'Freaked' and 'Welcome To Woop Woop' meets 'Dusk Till Dawn' with a bit of 'House Of A 1000 Corpses' .. oh and Ackroyd has a penis shaped nose in it. It bombed at the box office.

Nothing But Trouble (1990) (the sound cuts out a couple of times in this link but not for long)