Non-Fortean Films

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Girl: Bella Thorne is the eponymous Girl who is travelling to a small town kill her father. He broke her mother's back years ago and is now a threat again. Girl carries an axe, she's handy with it. Actually her father taught her how to throw it when she was six. But her father has been slain by someone else when she gets to the town. Soon she is on the run from the local crooked sheriff (Mickey Rourke) and his brother (Chad Faust), they run the town with an iron fist and if you cross them you're likely to get your toes cut off. They believe Thorne's father hid some money and that Girl knows the location. An interesting slice of Southern Gothic Noir with plot twists, intrigue and a bar tender (Glen Gould) who tells Girl: "You're the nicest thing ever to pass through here and you're waving an axe around wanting to kill people". Rather violent in parts, death by stabbing, fire and axe. Nothing particularly original about Girl but it's a good thriller which holds your attention. Good performances from Thorne and Rourke. Written and Directed by Chad Faust. 7/10.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I've just found this .. Christopher Walken's first film role:

'Young Christopher Walken (billed here as "Ronnie") does an amazing job in this short film, The Boy who Saw Through (1958), playing a savant with a special ability. He can see through walls! The only problem is, no one believes him. Walken completely changes his voice for this role, with a naturalness most actors would envy. He was about 15 when this was made, and already a veteran child actor.'

Christopher Walken's FIRST movie role! - YouTube

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Let Him Go: Sort of Noir-Western set in 1963, the Montana and North Dakota countryside bring Badlands to mind. It's also a road movie, where Kevin Costner and Diane Lane meet a variety of characters as they head into North Dakota determined to bring their grandson home with them. They fall foul of the Weboy family/clan, headed by the formidable and psychotic Lesley Manville. What starts as perhaps a family falling out or feud morphs into extreme violence with a grand guignol conclusion. Lane is the more determined of the duo, the child of her late son is now in the possession of a strange and violent family after her daughter-in-law married into them. A moving story which also stars Booboo Stewart as an Indian youth who assists the couple in their quest. Written and Directed by Tomas Bezucha. 9/10.

Schrodinger's Zebra

I tried to warn you...
Reaction score
For anyone who likes old films, or a film that leads you on right until the end, I'd thoroughly recommend Dilemma (1962).

The IMDB summary is thus:
"Respectable schoolmaster returns from work on the eve of a wedding anniversary holiday to find a strange man dead in their bathroom and his wife missing. "

I can't help but feel sorry for the protagonist. What starts off as a good day quickly goes from bad to worse with constant interruptions from anyone and everyone, including his nosy neighbour. I end up sharing his agitation and frustration at what he is trying to do, and all because he loves his wife and believes he has a perfect marriage.
It's almost, in a way, like one of those bad dreams where nothing goes right.

I also love the setting of the film; the street and the interiors of the houses. That shows you my tastes!

We watched it again on telly t'other week when it was on (we have watched it twice now, it never fails to entertain) and it looks like you can actually watch the full thing on YouTube, here: :)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Coming 2 America.

Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall return.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The Death of Stalin

Very black comedy based on real events with a quality cast. It's on iplayer at the mo. Recommended.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
The Death of Stalin

Very black comedy based on real events with a quality cast. It's on iplayer at the mo. Recommended.

Hello to Jason Isaacs, who absolutely kills it in that film.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Montana: Gritty English gangster film set in London's East End. Drug pushers, bent cops,Serbian gangsters, a teen courier who loses £100k of the drug gangs money, a Serbian assassin. The assassin has a score to settle with the Serbian drug overlord and eventually takes on the teen as an apprentice. Some good shots of boys the training and of police corruption in sink estate. Hands chopped off, stabbings, shootings. Great shootout sequence in a darkened warehouse. This thriller keeps the tension going right to the grand guignol finale. No classic but well worth watching. Directed by Mo Ali from a screenplay by Jeremy Sheldon and Peter Lowe. On Netflix. 7/10.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Are you going to give us your Top 10 films of 2020, @ramonmercado ? I know you can't move for Top 10s in December, but I do like them.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Are you going to give us your Top 10 films of 2020, @ramonmercado ? I know you can't move for Top 10s in December, but I do like them.

My Top Ten films of 2020 in no particular order.

Tenet
Little Women
Jojo Rabbit
Parasite
The Lighthouse
Les Miserables
Blood Quantum
Let Him Go
St Maud

Other contenders.

The Personal History of David Copperfield
The Invisible Man
Emma
Dark Waters
The Legend Of The Bones

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
My Top Ten films of 2020 in no particular order.

Tenet
Little Women
Jojo Rabbit
Parasite
The Lighthouse
Les Miserables
Blood Quantum
Let Him Go
St Maud

Other contenders.

The Personal History of David Copperfield
The Invisible Man
Emma
Dark Waters
The Legend Of The Bones
I bought 'Tenet' yesterday. Will watch it soon.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Great list, thanks! Don't feel you have to restrict yourself to ten, it's just that seems to be the usual limit, not sure why.

Out of the ones I've seen, Parasite is probably my favourite of that lot, though I was also very impressed by The Lighthouse and The Invisible Man. Guess I have no excuse not to watch Copperfield now it's on Amazon Prime for free.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Mark Kermode's best films of 2020:
Podcast

And (maybe more fun to listen to) his ten worst:
Podcast

SketchyMagpie

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Decided to watch Jojo Rabbit again last night, to see out the year. I got mildly obsessed with it back in January after seeing it at the cinema 3 times and it’s been my go-to “feel good” movie when I’ve needed a pick-me-up this year, so seemed an appropriate way to end 2020. Don’t think I’ll ever tire of watching that and after 6 viewings I’m still noticing new things and cool background details!

DeadZebedee

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
Just watched Pixie, not bad at all. It's been described as tarantino does father ted. Not all the jokes hit but worth a watch.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I think Roy Andersson, after decades of trying, has finally made his classic. It's not much different from his other "sketch show" movies, but About Endlessness is the one where it all clicked for me, it had the insight, the sympathy, and the humour - the sketch with the poor man wailing he's lost his faith while his psychiatrist can't be bothered dealing with him was painfully hilarious. It even has Adolf Hitler in it, for the depths humanity can sink to, but the girls having a spontaneous dance weirdly balanced it with the heights we can reach.

I know he's a real "you get it or you don't" filmmaker, but I really got it this time. What a shame he says he's too old to make any more.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Here's the trailer, doesn't do it justice, you have to experience the whole thing:

Amazing the entire film was made in a studio.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
This won a Best Live Action Short Oscar, which is a bit of a cheek, considering. See what you think:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
This won a Best Live Action Short Oscar, which is a bit of a cheek, considering. See what you think:

It's pretty good, great editing and a wonderful final shot from The Wizard Of Oz but it hardly deserved an Oscar.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
It's pretty good, great editing and a wonderful final shot from The Wizard Of Oz but it hardly deserved an Oscar.

I know! Especially as anyone with a YouTube account and editing software can now concoct something exactly the same (and has).

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
I once took a date to see Fitzcarraldo at Camden Town.
Turned out nicely.

I watched Full Metal Jacket in Camden Town - in 1987, I think it would have been.

It was odd to think that this...

FMJ.jpg

...was just across town from where I was sitting.

Not really a date movie, though.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I once took a date to see Fitzcarraldo at Camden Town.
Turned out nicely.

The tension of watching Klaus Kinski on the verge of collapse or explosion for a couple of hour has to be resolved somehow.

The man had utterly mesmeric screen-presence.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Crude comedy fantasy set in Australia with a bit of cryptozoology chucked in for good measure .. you'll laugh but wonder why, you'll spot The Truman Show struggle for freedom before that was made, you'll wonder if the director was gay because this is a bit like John Water's Desperate Living but set in the desert and with musical numbers. "Fuck me dead!" ..

WELCOME TO WOOP WOOP - full film

Welcome To Woop Woop - YouTube

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Coming 2 America.

Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall return.
The wife won a preview screening so we saw it last night. It's a lot of fun if you liked the original, a nice continuation of the story rather than a 100% standalone. There is a well-handled meta moment when two characters discuss American movies.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The wife won a preview screening so we saw it last night. It's a lot of fun if you liked the original, a nice continuation of the story rather than a 100% standalone. There is a well-handled meta moment when two characters discuss American movies.

Got that lined up for tomorrow night!

And the original Ghostbusters has been added to Netflix AT LAST so that might be coming my way too. Weirdly, Ghostbusters 2 was added to Prime on the same day (or the other way round).

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Watched The Big Sick last night and enjoyed it. Interesting take on a rom-com, where the main female character is in a coma for about half the film - and based on the true story of the star/co-writer. Still very funny!

I haven't seen such a great character in a coma since Yi-Yi.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Watched The Big Sick last night and enjoyed it. Interesting take on a rom-com, where the main female character is in a coma for about half the film - and based on the true story of the star/co-writer. Still very funny!

I haven't seen such a great character in a coma since Yi-Yi.

It didn't make me laugh very much, but it's a pleasant watch with good people. That said, his 9/11 joke was genuinely hilarious!

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I watched (again) earlier, the brilliant Scorsese black comedy 'After Hours'. In my opinion there is nothing not to like about this film, if you want to see a film where thing go from bad to worse to being hunted down by a vigelante mob, on a date then this is the film to watch.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0088680/