Non-Fortean Films

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I watched (again) earlier, the brilliant Scorsese black comedy 'After Hours'. In my opinion there is nothing not to like about this film, if you want to see a film where thing go from bad to worse to being hunted down by a vigelante mob, on a date then this is the film to watch.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0088680/
Loved this one when it came out - one of the best everything goes wrong comedies.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I watched (again) earlier, the brilliant Scorsese black comedy 'After Hours'. In my opinion there is nothing not to like about this film, if you want to see a film where thing go from bad to worse to being hunted down by a vigelante mob, on a date then this is the film to watch.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0088680/
I really like that film. There's a lot of interesting stuff in it.
You don't hear much about Griffin Dunne these days.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I really like that film. There's a lot of interesting stuff in it.
You don't hear much about Griffin Dunne these days.
He seems to have had a pretty steady run of film appearances, tv roles and some director and producer credits, but not much in the way of leading roles, i think the title 'professional actor' sums him up well

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffin_Dunne

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
I often trawl You Tube for b-movies, especially British b&w crime, noir and thrillers.
Last night I watched The Cover Girl Killer. Rather jolly good, and a good performance by Harry H. Corbett.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Today it seemed appropriate to watch The Long Good Friday with Bob Hoskins and Helen Mirren. Hoskin's is superb as the East-End gangster on the brink of a massive business deal when he suddenly finds his empire falling apart around him.
Some great dialogue and one of the best endings to a movie ever filmed.

Pool Attendant: They kept it all incognito. They're gonna collect the body in an ice cream van.
Harold: There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Night In Paradise. Savage South Korean gangster film. Gang wars, betrayals, bloody knife fights and gun fights. On Netflix. 8/10.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Nomadland

Moving & poignant, following a woman who's home is her van after her husband dies & the town where they lived dies after the only industry there closes, her travels & people she meets, fellow van living communities, & struggles involved in keeping things going. From snowy freezing north to desert locations further south, temporary shitty jobs worked along the way for a little money.

Frances McDormand is excellent as always - she is imo one of the best actors around & can convey feeling & emotion in her face without seeming to do that much.

The camera focuses on her close-up for a lot of the film & it's quite bleak in places but her determination & independent attitude shine through.

I'd give it a 9.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Nomadland I wasn't sure about, I think I'd have preferred a documentary. Depicting McDormand's character as loving her life on the road seemed dishonest when the vast majority of these American nomads are forced into the lifestyle when they lose their jobs and homes. I know it's Zhao's thing to mix fact and fiction, but this was way too romantic for what is a tragic national scandal. I wanted more anger.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
Anger doesn't sell. It doesn't get more support.
You have to inspire anger.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Nomadland I wasn't sure about, I think I'd have preferred a documentary. Depicting McDormand's character as loving her life on the road seemed dishonest when the vast majority of these American nomads are forced into the lifestyle when they lose their jobs and homes. I know it's Zhao's thing to mix fact and fiction, but this was way too romantic for what is a tragic national scandal. I wanted more anger.
I didn't get that from it - I thought it was a sympathetic portrayal of some of the hardships involved - shitting in a bucket, sleeping in a freezing van, working occasional crappy jobs to survive & keep the van going & so on, plus the support of others in a similar position who've for one reason or another fallen off the edge of 'normal' life.

I don't think it was about her loving her life on the road.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I didn't get that from it - I thought it was a sympathetic portrayal of some of the hardships involved - shitting in a bucket, sleeping in a freezing van, working occasional crappy jobs to survive & keep the van going & so on, plus the support of others in a similar position who've for one reason or another fallen off the edge of 'normal' life.

I don't think it was about her loving her life on the road.
There are now a LOT of people living like this in the US and Canada, whether by choice or by circumstance.
It's good that a film like this explores this subject. Too many films depict a lifestyle that is only enjoyed by a wealthy minority.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
There are now a LOT of people living like this in the US and Canada, whether by choice or by circumstance.
It's good that a film like this explores this subject. Too many films depict a lifestyle that is only enjoyed by a wealthy minority.

Cannot recommend Dark Days by Marc Singer enough.

Full documentary here:
https://tubitv.com/movies/527871/dark-days

skinny

Dal gCais
Reaction score
Aired in/around 11/4/89, this episode finds Gene & Roger selecting their 10 best of the 1980s. With original commercials intact.

Interesting to note how their predictions have gone re how their picks hold up over time / today. Not too many hits.
Roger Rabbit!?? What about Down By Law or Mystery Train?

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
Roger Rabbit!??
Oi! That's a stone-cold classic. Although my nominations fluctuate with time and mood, it's definitely in my top 3. It's a great movie, on all kinds of levels: the plot, the performances, the technical aspect of mixing live action and animation, the diplomatic triumph of getting rival studios to licence their major characters to appear in the same movie. The call back to the Valiant Brothers circus act... The jokes, dammit. It has everything!

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the Judge Dee books by Robert Van Gulik.
Great mystery series, written in the style of T'ang Chinese crime mystery stories.
Now, of course, there's not many visual adaptations. The Haunted Monastery (based on Van Gulik's original story) is available on You Tube (poor quality) and is quite loyal to the original book.
It's long but, really, damn good!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Oi! That's a stone-cold classic. Although my nominations fluctuate with time and mood, it's definitely in my top 3. It's a great movie, on all kinds of levels: the plot, the performances, the technical aspect of mixing live action and animation, the diplomatic triumph of getting rival studios to licence their major characters to appear in the same movie. The call back to the Valiant Brothers circus act... The jokes, dammit. It has everything!

Judge Doom does not often get the place he deserves on the podium of great movie villains.

Chilled me as a child.

The Dip!

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
First Cow: A tale of Oregon in 1820 when it was rough frontier land, the only decent house in the trading settlement is owned by the Chief Factor (Toby Jones). Cookie (John Magaro) and King-Lu (Orion Lee) arrive at the settlement after having problems with trappers and Russians. They decide to try and make a few bucks by stealing milk from Jones cow (the first in Oregon and baking biscuits. Their product becomes a success but Jones asks them to bake a pir and this leads to the exposure of their crookery. Just how savage things can get on the wild frontier is then made all too clear. There is a sad inevitability about the outcome which is perhaps signaled in the opening scenes set in the present day. Nevertheless this tale of friendship and ambition will captivate you. Ordinary adventures interspersed with savage violence and a meticulously recreated 19th Century setting with rough huts and rougher unwashed people make for an enthralling tale. Directed & Co-written by Kelly Reichardt. 8/10.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I enjoyed Judge Dee too, Stormkhan.

A shame, as they are well told stories, based on a real judge, authentic and a fine combination of rationality and superstition.