Non-Fortean Films

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I've just finished watching William Friedkin's Sorcerer (1977) for the first time.

I was actually quite familiar with the excellent Tangerine Dream soundtrack, but having neither read the source material, Le Salaire de la peur by Georges Arnaud, nor seen Henri-Georges Clouzot's earlier adaptation The Wages of Fear (1953), I was one of the many people who misunderstood the genre of the film owing to the title. That wasn't the only reason why I didn't watch it sooner, but I suppose I was broadly thinking that if there was a classic supernatural film to be seen, I would have heard more about it (that being a favoured genre).

I wish I'd watched this years earlier: stunning film--instantly into my personal top ten.

The story was tortuous yet inexorable, the characters not so much driving the plot as being subjected to it: the exacting mechanisms of fate on mortal men on a journey through purgatory to redemption and death.

Much of interest to French existentialists and Joseph Conrad readers! Hitchcockian levels of nerve-racking suspense!

Prepare to see a lot of sweat and grease!

Pay close attention to the French 'vignette', which along with the image beneath offers a key to some of the deeper themes.

Totem-Sorcerer.jpg

I was minded throughout of this from Heart of Darkness:

Imagine a blindfolded man set to drive a van over a bad road. I sweated and shivered over that business considerably, I can tell you. After all, for a seaman, to scrape the bottom of the thing that's supposed to float all the time under his care is the unpardonable sin.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Sorcerer committed the double sin of opening at the same time as Star Wars and remaking an acknowledged classic. It was regarded like someone remaking Schindler's List or something.

But damn, it's a fantastic movie, in fact it may be a little better than the Clouzot because it tightens up the plot so well. Roy Scheider is terrific (I miss him). The rope bridge sequence is stunning. But a cult movie it remains.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Sorcerer committed the double sin of opening at the same time as Star Wars and remaking an acknowledged classic. It was regarded like someone remaking Schindler's List or something.

But damn, it's a fantastic movie, in fact it may be a little better than the Clouzot because it tightens up the plot so well. Roy Scheider is terrific (I miss him). The rope bridge sequence is stunning. But a cult movie it remains.
Apparently, Steve McQueen was the original choice for the movie but he wanted the script rewritten so that Ali McGraw would have a role in it.
There's a documentary on Prime - Friedkin Uncut where he talks about his career. He's quite a character.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
The film voted least likely to win any academy awards must be Jackass 4

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Copshop: We've had sieges of police stations before but his film has some original angles. Teddy (Frank Grillo) punches cop Alexis (Valerie Young) to get himself arrested, he fleeing from hitmen. But one of the killers, Bob (Gerald Butler) feigns drunkenness to end up in the same lock-up. An interesting station, comedians, slackers even a corrupt cop. Actually corrupt cops are everywhere in this film. Things get even more interesting for Teddy, Bob and Alexis as a rival hitman, Anthony (Toby Huss) arrives at the copshop, Anthony is truly psychotic, carrying a Bugs Bunny Balloon and sounding like Foghorn Leghorn. An internal siege develops with cells, narrow passages and an open pln squad roo becoming the battleground. Some savage violence and indiscriminate killing though this is leavened by by a streak of dark humour throughout Copshop. The tension is maintained and the film has a touch of early Tarantino about it, especially the dialogue. An intriguing thriller. Directed/Co-Written by Joe Carnahan. 8/10.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Just watched French 2020 thriller BAC Nord (English title "Stronghold").
Based on real events in Western Europe's murder capital Marseille, it is a thoroughly compelling exposé of the impossible task faced by a beleaguered police force trying to contain an explosion of violent criminality.

The cops fight fire with fire and bend the rules to get results, but get dumped in la merde by a hypocritical boss and the holier-than-thou authorities.

Extremely brutal and utterly compelling.

Currently streaming on Netflix.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Test footage for a new film about Robin Williams, 'Robin' ..

skinny

aka Wuluwait, Boatman of the Dead
Reaction score
Copshop: We've had sieges of police stations before but his film has some original angles. Teddy (Frank Grillo) punches cop Alexis (Valerie Young) to get himself arrested, he fleeing from hitmen. But one of the killers, Bob (Gerald Butler) feigns drunkenness to end up in the same lock-up.
That is straight out of Fargo season 1. Plagues.