• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Non-Lethal Directed Energy Weapons (e.g., Active Denial System)

A

Anonymous

From New Scientist website

Microwave beam weapon to disperse crowds

19:00 24 October 01
Jeff Hecht, Boston

Tests of a controversial weapon that is designed to heat people's skin with a microwave beam have shown that it can disperse crowds. But critics are not convinced the system is safe.

Last week, the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) in New Mexico finished testing the system on human volunteers. The Air Force now wants to use this Active Denial Technology (ADT), which it says is non-lethal, for peacekeeping or riot control at "relatively long range" - possibly from low-flying aircraft.

ADT uses a 2-metre dish to create a narrow beam of microwaves that can be scanned across a crowd or even aimed at individuals. AFRL is using infrared photography to analyse the heating effect on the volunteers' bodies.

AFRL says that the 3-millimetre wavelength radiation penetrates only 0.3 millimetres into the skin, rapidly heating the surface above the 45 °C pain threshold. At 50 °C, they say the pain reflex makes people pull away automatically in less than a second - it's said to feel like fleetingly touching a hot light bulb. Someone would have to stay in the beam for 250 seconds before it burnt the skin, the lab says, giving "ample margin between intolerable pain and causing a burn".

Little data

But critics question the AFRL's claims that the weapon's undisclosed exposure levels are safe. John Pike of think tank Globalsecurity.org fears that the beam power needed to scare people may be too close to the level that would injure them. Air Force scientists helped set the present skin safety threshold of 10 milliwatts per square centimetre in the early 1990s, when little data was available, says Louis Slesin, editor of Microwave News.

That limit covers exposure to steady fields for several minutes to an hour - but heating a layer of skin 0.3 mm thick to 50 °C in just one second requires much higher power and may pose risks to the cornea, which is more sensitive than skin. A study published last year in the journal Health Physics showed that exposure to 2 watts per square centimetre for three seconds could damage the corneas of rhesus monkeys.

This'll be interesting :)

Like most methods of 'non-lethal' crowd control, it depends on your definition of 'acceptable losses'

8¬)

aka Captain Quotes :D

Zapping with microwaves !

It would be interesting to see how many of the test subjects develop skin cancer over the next few years.
Perhaps they mean non-lethal in the short-term.

There are engineering challenges with this system, of course. Such as how to get your subjects to sit and rotate slowly for three minutes, followed by a ping when the correct dosage has been supplied.

I look forward to seeing the first riot with petrol bombers wrapped in tinfoil.

Non-lethal technology development, as an IDEA, is something I very very much favor. Realistically riots and run away demonstrations are going to continue to occur. When you consider the likely alternatives to these beams: rubber bullets fired by petrified 18 year old draftees, gas drifting indiscriminately out of the riot area and into … say daycare centers, baton wielding goons on panicked horses--- somehow this doesn’t seem like such a bad idea.

Get your tin foil here, while stocks last...

"Weapon being developed uses heat beam to burn people

A weapon is being developed in New Mexico which uses a microwave beam to heat people's skin.

The Air Force want to use the device, which it says is non-lethal and only causes discomfort, for peacekeeping or riot control, at relatively long range.

Critics of the system say it is not safe.

Known as Active Denial Technology, tests have been completed on human volunteers.

It uses a two meter dish to create a narrow beam of microwaves to be scanned across a crowd, or aimed at individuals.

The three millimetre wavelength radiation, penetrates only 0.3 millimetres into the skin, rapidly heating the surface above the 45 degrees Centigrade pain threshold.

At 50 degrees Centigrade developers say the pain reflex makes people pull away automatically in less than a second.

It's said to feel like fleetingly touching a hot light bulb.

But John Pike of Globalsecurity.org fears the beam power needed to scare people may be too close to the level that would injure, reports New Scientist.

Story filed: 19:21 Wednesday 24th October 2001 "
Ananova.

Thinking about the relevance to SHC, ball lightning, the Hutchison effect, and many other fortean things...

Given that microwaves occur naturally (as well as Low Frequency or Infra-sound.), ie the sun emits huge amounts that can be "soaked up" by the earth's atmosphere, and equally so by land features such as lakes, valleys and quarries (or areas where certain elements occur naturally such as iron or quartz, or aquiferous rock, all known to have strange electro-magnetic properties.), and then could be discharged along linear features such as roads and hedgerows, technologies such as these are evidence that supports the theories of Tesla, Reich, Constable, Budden and many others. If these solar system emmissions intermodulate with natural low frequencies, or those produced during electrical storms or by fluctuations in the earth's magnetic field, all kinds of effects could happen.
Also, with infra sound, a short term behaviour modification can occur, through physical affects such as nausea and giddiness as well as localised discomfort, and psychological affects such as fear, auditory and visual hallucinations, and confusion or "inappropriate effect". This could easily occur naturally, randomly everywhere or repeatedly in certain areas of the world that may as a result get a long-held association with certain phenomena.
The effect whereby the sun charges the atmosphere of Mars, which then "beams" this charge outwards when triggered by other solar activity could explain the "Mars Effect", and concepts in astrology, as this radiation is known to affect cellular growth and development.

Info on natural lasers and the mars effect:

http://science-frontiers.com/sf032/sf032p03.htm

http://science-frontiers.com/sf021/sf021p06.htm

http://science-frontiers.com/sf061/sf061b06.htm

http://science-frontiers.com/sf055/sf055p09.htm

Cellphones spook British ghosts
LONDON (Reuters) - Mobile phones are killing off ghosts, an expert who has spent years researching the occult has said.

Tony Cornell, of the Society for Psychical Research, told the Sunday Express newspaper that reports of ghost sightings had started to decline when mobile phones were introduced 15 years ago.

"Ghost sightings have remained consistent for centuries. Until three years ago we'd receive reports of two new ghosts every week," said Cornell, of Cambridge in Eastern England.

"But with the introduction of mobile phones 15 years ago, ghost sightings began to decline to the point where now we are receiving none."

According to the paper, haunted tourist attractions in Britain could be under threat if the number of cellphones continues to grow from the present figure of 39 million

Apparently paranormal events, which some scientists put down to unusual electrical activity, could be drowned out by the electronic noise produced by phone calls and text messages.

wouldnt being zapped with microwave radiation cause fertility problems and evrn possibly cancer?

cas

Today I shall mainly be wearing a shiny metal all over body suit ;)

Seeing what happened this year,with the so called "May Day Riots" in London.

The police policy was to contain the rioters, (as well as a considerable number of inocent tourists & people trying to get to work), for several hours in a tightly packed mass. There was no attempt to disperse them, infact the police refused to let anyone out!!!

Dispersing a crowd therefore, doesn't seem, at least in the UK to be current practice & in anycase a slightly microed rioter seems likely to be even more angry & liable to smash the place up, than they were before being baked

:cool:

im interested in the focused efect of this thing... its posible to focus sound too...so u can easily make one person in a whole crowd, hear voices and feel hotter than normal. So it may be posible to insite a crowd by careful manipulation of 'Ring leaders'....esp in religiouse situations....make ur think ah!

Its a Trick

I think this is a techy trick.

dont you think a crowd would disperse if they were approached by a van marked "Microwave Crowd Control Unit".:eek:

I would certainly make sure I was out of sight of it (not that I would take part in a demo anyway).

On the flip side, someone will make a lot of money out of selling tinfoil shell suits. :cross eye

As someone already mentioned, add some infra-sonic sub-bass frequencies to the mix, people will be spontaneously combusting and throwing up all over the place.
Anyone fancy a free party, I know a willing farmer...? ;)

JOHN FLEMING: THE SHOCKING MENACE OF SATELLITE SURVEILLANCE

Unknown to most of the world, satellites can perform astonishing and often menacing feats. This should come as no surprise when one reflects on the massive effort poured into satellite technology since the Soviet satellite Sputnik, launched in 1957, caused panic in the U.S. A spy satellite can monitor a person’s every movement, even when the “target” is indoors or deep in the interior of a building or travelling rapidly down the highway in a car, in any kind of weather (cloudy, rainy, stormy). There is no place to hide on the face of the earth. It takes just three satellites to blanket the world with detection capacity. Besides tracking a person’s every action and relaying the data to a computer screen on earth, amazing powers of satellites include reading a person’s mind, monitoring conversations, manipulating electronic instruments and physically assaulting someone with a laser beam. Remote reading of someone’s mind through satellite technology is quite bizarre, yet it is being done; it is a reality at present, not a chimera from a futuristic dystopia! To those who might disbelieve my description of satellite surveillance, I’d simply cite a tried-and-true Roman proverb: Time reveals all things (tempus omnia revelat).
Probably the most sinister aspect of satellite surveillance, certainly its most stunning, is mind-reading. As early as 1981, G. Harry Stine (in his book Confrontation in Space), could write that computers have “read” human minds by means of deciphering the outputs of electroencephalographs (EEGs). Early work in this area was reported by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) in 1978. EEG’s are now known to be crude sensors of neural activity in the human brain, depending as they do upon induced electrical currents in the skin. Magnetoencephalographs (MEGs) have since been developed using highly sensitive electromagnetic sensors that can directly map brain neural activity even through even through the bones of the skull. The responses of the visual areas of the brain have now been mapped by Kaufman and others at Vanderbilt University. Work may already be under way in mapping the neural activity of other portions of the human brain using the new MEG techniques. It does not require a great deal of prognostication to forecast that the neural electromagnetic activity of the human brain will be totally mapped within a decade or so and that crystalline computers can be programmed to decipher the electromagnetic neural signals.
In 1992, Newsweek reported that “with powerful new devices that peer through the skull and see the brain at work, neuroscientists seek the wellsprings of thoughts and emotions, the genesis of intelligence and language. They hope, in short, to read your mind.” In 1994, a scientist noted that “current imaging techniques can depict physiological events in the brain which accompany sensory perception and motor activity, as well as cognition and speech.” In order to give a satellite mind-reading capability, it only remains to put some type of EEG-like-device on a satellite and link it with a computer that has a data bank of brain-mapping research. I believe that surveillance satellites began reading minds--or rather, began allowing the minds of targets to be read--sometime in the early 1990s. Some satellites in fact can read a person’s mind from space.

JOHN FLEMING
USA
John Fleming is a writer and author of a book, "The War of All Against All"

as i posted in another thread

couldnt microwave ratiation cause cancer and/or infertitlity?

cas

Since microwave radiation can damage cells at a pretty low level, potentially, direct, prolonged exposure could cause both.

8¬)

Re: Its a Trick

Chriswsm said:
I think this is a techy trick.

dont you think a crowd would disperse if they were approached by a van marked "Microwave Crowd Control Unit".:eek:

Albert Budden's book "Electric Ufos" quotes W.H.O. figures on using focused radio waves to heat the skin.
Furthermore, the protestors at the Greenham Common camp alledged they were being targeted by infra-sound or microwave "weapons".

I personally believe that it is potentially the tip of a very big scary iceberg, heading our way full speed ahead!

Re: Re: Its a Trick

Tubal Cain said:
the protestors at the Greenham Common camp alledged they were being targeted by infra-sound or microwave "weapons".
It would be interesting to see if there have been reports of the G-Common protesters developing any illnesses that could relate to such exposure.

Apparently they did, becoming nauseous amongst other symptoms, every time a mysterious black van was parked opposite their camp... I dunno if any of them developed chronic illnesses.

Here's extracts from the WHO report, 1993:

"There is increasing concern about the possibility that RF (Radio Frequencies, including pulsed microwaves) may play a role in the causation or promotion of cancer....Similar uncertainties surround possible effects on the reproductive organs.(...) At frequencies below a few hundred kilohertz, the electrical stimulation of exitable membranes of nerves and muscle cells is a well established phenomenon."

There's loads more here about the creation of hotspots via in-phase pulses and frequency intermodulation... Tesla thought natural infra-sound (sub 20hz) intermodulated with the electro-static fields generated by his coils and produced fireballs. Similar stuff goes on with the poltergeist machines, too.

What they need to invent is an equilibrium displacer ray gun. Shoot it at somebody, and they just fall down on their face. There can be a timer so they don't find their feet until you want them to. Set it to one hour and just watch 'em roll around for awhile.

Anyway, I'll be sure to bring a TV-dinner to the next riot I attend. And where can I sign up for the tin-foil suit? I want something stylish.

How do they think they'll control these guns? You know there's somebody who's gonna want to dispel rush-hour crowds in the metro. Sick of waiting in line at the amusement park? No problem.

If you want to control an angry mob, then what you need is a distraction. Have a couple of metal/hard-core bands on call 24/7. Next time there is trouble, set up stage and have a little concert. Then they'll start hitting each other, and most likely be pacified - as long as the alcohol is cheap.

Good idea to wear tinfoil suits, dead easy to spot in a crowd, smack em on the head with a night stick and chuck em in the van.:cross eye

Well Microwaves at the level they say are'nt so bad. A quick warm feeling is sure better than a cap up the ass or Dcell (Rubber Bullet). At least in the short term. And heh if the long term is a slight increase in the chances of a dozen different cancers...WOW. Go and cross a dual carriageway a couple of times at rush hour and get it out of your system, ( It probably has the same life threatening risk.) We all got to die you know!

Remember it SCANS across a crowd, and doesn't linger... The mobile phones, used for longer at a lower power, are probably much worse for you - and how many riots do you all intend to be in, eh? :)

Two meter dish?? That'd easily fit on a tank - make a more powerful one and you got something much more harmful.

I find the thirst and approval from governments on non-lethal weapons vexing. They'll probably get used more often than lethal weapons and end up causing more permanent damage to people. Rubber bullets can still maim, and I remember in the last couple of years a French(?) man being shot in the neck by a police-fired rubber bullet and killed.

I generally have the radiation from at least 3 19" computer monitors cooking my brain 8-10 hours a day. Microwaves don't scare me. And I plan to participate in a LOT of riots...

You might have a point mike-legs, microwaving rioters might encourage riots. After all if you're a dosser living rough, a bit of microwave riot control may be the only way you are going to be able to keep warm.:madeyes:

Perhaps the best defense is a bag of microwavable popcorn...Riots could become the next party trend. ;)

One other way of dispelling riots, throw corn out over them. Then direct the microwave weapon at them. Even if it doesn't affect them directly, they will probably run when the popcorn starts popping around them :)

Well Unfortunately If you have ever been exposed to "anti Riot strenth" microwave levels and above you will not want to stay around for the popcorn as you will feel rather suddenly a VERY strong urge to escape!...... Hence the whole idea in the first case.

Somehow I picture rioters getting handheld zappers in addition to their bricks and molitovs. I picture the angry (foil-covered) mob overpowering the 'riot-blaster' and cheefully zapping passers-by. Won't people ever lean from the past? Do not create a weapon that the enemy could use against you. So when's the next riot?

Hello there. If you all covered up in tin foil to do your rioting you would spare the authorities the need to microwave you, as anyone covered in tin foil would feel all hot and uncomfortable quite quickly, though not as quickly as by the microwave weapon I am sure. As most riots seem to happen when the summers are hot this would further cause you to overheat. I feel sure most rioters would be exhausted within minutes and would be desperate for a passing water cannon or two. Maybe you could incorporate some sort of cooling!? Or maybe use some NBC suits from the army surplus! Or even better do not riot anyway.

Back