• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

North Rona, a Trip just over the Edge of the World...

Kondoru

Beloved of Ra
North Rona

Oh, these endless little isles!
And of all little isles this Ronay!
Yet, much as hath been seen, not to see thee,
clad with soft verdure, and in thine awful solitude,
lying of in the lap of wild ocean,
-not to see the with the carnal eye,
would be to have seen nothing!

And it is a Fortean place...you just never heard of it, until now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Rona

The Wiki article is pretty good but doesnt mention delights such as the description of the houses and the bomber landing...

http://www.seatrek.co.uk/highlander_boat-hire_trips.htm

Mr McLeod has obliged me by offering a charter (Its hard to get to...that is even before you attempt the tricky landing) Alas, business is bad.

Anyone interested? anyone know anyone who might like this? anyone know an organisation that might be interested, any documentary makers out there??

I'm interested in going. If it gets too hard physically I'll just site down and wait for the trip back :D

Seriously, I'm interested. The total cost would be the deciding factor for me but I can be very flexible about times and dates.

Kath

Youll be fine, the seals go to the top and they travel on their bellies...

Im driving the length of GB so it may be possible I could give you a lift up there.

Thats ok. Im going to ask him to bring the price down a little,

I wrote the information for the page, BTW, no ones going to want to go to a completley unknown location.

Oh wow! This looks like a great trip. I can't afford it, either in time or hard cash, but one day maybe.

If you both go, will you post a short account on here?

It does look great!

Unfortuately I'm hors de combat until after an op - date tba. So I'm stuffed baisically.

So there's places still :(

Kath

Ill see how this goes. it looks like the trip wont take place due to lack of interest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Rona

North Rona (Scottish Gaelic: Rònaigh,) is a remote Scottish island in the North Atlantic. Rona is often referred to as North Rona in order to distinguish it from South Rona (another small island, in the Inner Hebrides). It has an area of 109 hectares (270 acres) and a maximum height of 108 metres (350 ft)[1][3][4]

The island lies 71 kilometres (44 mi) north north east of Butt of Lewis and 18 kilometres (11 mi) east of Sula Sgeir. More isolated than St Kilda, it is the remotest island in the British Isles to have ever been inhabited on a long-term basis. It is also the closest neighbour to the Faroe Islands. Due to the island's remote location and small area, it is omitted from many maps of the United Kingdom.

I managed to visit and stay overnight on this island in the summer. (this took me three years to accomplish)

Anyone want to hear about my experiences and see some pics? (how do I post pics here?)

The Wiki article is a good start to the Island.

Sounds fascinating, pics would be good!

Yeah, please post some pics! I remember showing this thread to my wife when you and Stonedog were planning on going, and her response was, "Lucky buggers". :D

Back