• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nostalgia: Fings Ain't Wot They Used T'be

A few thoughts:

- might the speed of current change be going against the rate our species has to adapt to change emotionally? If you were born in 3000 BC, the rate of cultural change was glacial compared to today, where you might go multiple generations without much change in local, fashion, and entertainment. The weird twang of nostalgia might just be the emotional state of the mind looking for continuity but instead getting change on too many fronts at once.

- A strong living in nostalgia, or a strong sense of nostalgia as a foe, strikes me as too strong a response that will cause either purist side to miss out. I think that the best path lies in the middle, where you enjoy those things in the past and make some time to remember it, while you also seek out the new and enjoy that as well in equal measure.

A middle course? How unfashionable!

I think everyone who has had good periods in their life , or memories of an exceptional moment, is nostalgic about them from time to time. I suggest this is precisely because they have happened , they are finished and done, and any difficulties one might have had either side cannot now be changed. There are no decisions to make, no doubts. I also have a clear memory of one magic Christmas when I was 7 - I had just recovered from measles ( a serious illness back then) and I got a much better present than expected, and it snowed (well I think it did - it might be a conflation of more than one Christmas!)

On the other hand as one gets older one realises that not all change is for the better, and that human beings are terribly bad at learning from past mistakes, and forward progress is not (despite the propaganda) inevitable.This I believe is more true today than it has been in the past as a consequence of the speeding up mentioned above. As a collective entity, we surely now have the shortest attention spans in human history - it has even changed the way we think.

I personally am concerned that our western civilization may have peaked in the late 1980's and that although many improvements are still occurring, the fundamental underlying structures have been damaged in ways that may prove disastrous. And the late 1980's is not a period I am nostalgic for, in fact I was so busy that its a period that I have few personal memories from. (There are one or two, like my wife beating an irritating Frenchman in a beer drinking contest)

There are of course moments from the past I'd love to see, but I don't think that's nostalgia, its curiosity.

I recently posted a video in the Non-Fortean Films thread about Akira Kurosawa's use of camera movement. In one part the narrator compares a scene in a modern film (Avengers, I think) to a scene with a similar narrative purpose (to emphaise the enormity of the battle ahead and the resolve of the protagonists, or something like that). The modern film has Samuel L Jackson endlessly gibbering and cameras pointlessly drifting across faces for identical reaction shots. Kurosawa's scene, in contrast, is wordless, but it conveys the mood much more deeply through the employment of action and physical movement--stationary figures on a stationary space station simply are not memorable.

While not nearly as good an example as Kurosawa, who really was a master in wordlessly conveying meaning, I recently read a comparison of Jurassic Park and Jurassic World that really highlighted something I hadn't picked up when watching the latter movie for the first time.

Every shot in Jurassic Park is from a human's eye level. The first time you see dinosaurs, you're looking up at them in awe just as the characters are, the T-Rex towers over you, and everything that happens you are, on some level, in amongst the action. Compare that to Jurassic World, and there are shots of the T-Rex and the big new dinosaur where the camera is flying around above them, and there's just no sense of connection, because it's from no conceivable human viewpoint. At no point are you being invited to step into the shoes of the film's characters, you're just watching someone play with their toys.

On nostalgia in general, I think the feelings are fairly universal. We all grow up with a baseline, and assume that baseline to be "correct" - every move the world makes to deviate from that, it feels like a step away from our comfort zone, and it gets harder and harder to keep up. I hear the people I went to school with complaining about "young people today" in exactly the same terms that my parents' generation did, and probably every generation did since time immemorial. I hear the 18-21 year olds I have to deal with at work talking about stuff they think of as old, or memories of early childhood, that feel like only yesterday to me, and wonder where the time went.

An example I always use locally is that, when I was 16, all my older mates would talk about this amazing nightclub they were going to, but people older than them would all talk about how much better the club was back in their day, and how it's all gone downhill. Fast forward a few years, and people my age are telling the younger lads that the same club was at its best when they went there, and it's all gone downhill. So what's more likely, that the place has been steadily deteriorating in quality for a decade (but evidently not that much as there's still one group of people thinking it's the dogs bollocks), or that the club itself hasn't changed a bit, it was just always great when you were eighteen?

A few things I think will change nostalgia, though - there's (presumably) much less shared experience for kids these days. We're looking at the first generation of adults growing up with social media and mobile internet as the norm, and with the decline in traditional media. Socially, they're potentially more isolated, and the media they consume won't define them the way it did us - they're not restricted to a handful of TV channels and radio stations, to only being able to watch what's on TV at a designated time, and unlikely to have the kind of "rushing out to the record shop to buy the latest single" memories we tend to get misty eyed about.

Last edited:
Every shot in Jurassic Park is from a human's eye level. The first time you see dinosaurs, you're looking up at them in awe just as the characters are, the T-Rex towers over you, and everything that happens you are, on some level, in amongst the action. Compare that to Jurassic World, and there are shots of the T-Rex and the big new dinosaur where the camera is flying around above them, and there's just no sense of connection, because it's from no conceivable human viewpoint. At no point are you being invited to step into the shoes of the film's characters, you're just watching someone play with their toys.

I'm not sure this is so much to do with being a newer film as it is do with Spielberg being a much more skilled director than Colin Trevorrow. Perhaps it's a bit of both.

I'm revisiting this thread to say that--perhaps surprisingly to the first glance--I find adverts (commercials to the Americans) are compact nostalgia bombs. Despite their brief span, they encapsulate the eras in which they were created admirably, even when the writers and producers responsible were trying desperately to convey a sense of history, modernism or the future.

It's so often down not to what is shown or said, but to what is implied or supposed within the world of the advert. Yes, there's a superficial thrill to seeing old-fashioned technology or special effects, hearing old-fashioned accents and seeing old-fashioned behaviour, but much more than that there's the professional suppositions about what the audience would want, what they would be concerned with and how they would react, mindsets that waxed, waned and evolved as the years passed and society changed.

I think once you reach, say, your 30s, you've seen at least one (likely more) of these 'cycles of concern' play out around you, and having evidence of a now outdated 'concern' before your eyes once more can bring back not just the memory of the mood but also the qualia of what it was actually like to experience that mood.

Heady stuff.

This has just resurfaced for another round on social media. I post it because her voice is, to me, a massive inducer of nostalgia: it's the accent of my grandparents and great-grandparents, a voice from my childhood. A couple of solecisms admittedly, but her diction and enunciation are simply superb and the ideas flow seamlessly. No doubt, she was 'speaking up' for the camera, but that too evokes memories of the older generation's 'telephone voice': from screaming at Arthur that he'd better get his rags off her settee to the ritual recitation of the five-digit phone number in tones that would have put a duchess to shame.

Enjoy:

This has just resurfaced for another round on social media. I post it because her voice is, to me, a massive inducer of nostalgia: it's the accent of my grandparents and great-grandparents, a voice from my childhood. A couple of solecisms admittedly, but her diction and enunciation are simply superb, and the ideas flow seamlessly. No doubt, she was 'speaking up' for the camera, but that too evokes memories of the older generation's 'telephone voice': from screaming at Arthur that he'd better get his rags off her settee to the ritual recitation of the five-digit phone number in tones that would have put a duchess to shame.

Enjoy:

They need their bloody 'ands cut off...

The Classic Greeks believed nostalgia to be a great evil.

Isnt it nice how the young people today are rediscovering the Classics?

Some enormously nostalgic, "then and now" photos for anyone familiar with UK TV:

nostalgia1.png

nostalgia2.png

Back