• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nostradamus and 9/11

carps13

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
OK OK - I know everyone has probably had that spurious quatrain in their inboxes a thousand times today already, but if not, look out for this verse on a monitor near you - soon.

"In the year of the new century and nine months,
> From the sky will come a great King of Terror...
> The sky will burn at forty-five degrees.
> Fire approaches the great new city..."
>
> In the city of york there will be a great collapse
> 2 twin brothers torn apart
> By chaos while the fortress fall the great leader will succumb
> third big war will begin when the big city is burning -
> NOSTRADAMUS 1654"

Quite apart from the fact that the old seer had been dead for a hundred years on the date that accompanies this bit of doggerel, I can't find anything in the quatrains that actually matches this.

I know that this is partially a bit of inventive cutting and pasting from various quatrains, coupled with some selective translations and so on, but has anyone any idea where this originated? I've had it in three slightly differing formats (sometimes the 'fortress' is described as five-sided).

And why are people so eager to leap on this? Every time there's a disaster does a whole portion of the population turn into a set of credulous medieval nitwits?

If it was just the powerless who were resorting to primitivisms,
it would not be too surprising. I have just heard Bush talking about
a monumental struggle of Good and Evil. Meanwhile the mad-eyed
Blair seems to believe he can end the Evil of terrorism.

Nostradamus is beginning to seem a bit of an optimist.

As the news media is pointing out: Blair's invective is verging on the biblical... "their shame shall bear testamnent to the Evil that will echo through the annals of time for all eternity!!"

or some such...

I'm sure I read something about the nostradamus humbug on a site linked from -- this -- thread. It was from a man claiming that with a large enough selection of ambiguous predictions, some are bound to get close. He invented the quoted passage as an example...

bye

martin

In reply to:
posts by Carps and James Whitehead (12.09.01):

Firstly, regarding the Nostradamus piece. Like Carps, I couldn’t find a quatrain or even sensible bits to make up the ostensibly fitting prediction of ole Nostro. However, I seem to recall that the King of Terror was supposed to arrive in 1999, was he/it not?
Still, this adequately demonstrates the major and consistent flaw of such prognostications - that they can only be ‘recognised’ after the event (in which case, as someone has already pointed out I think, they are not predictions at all).
Obviously, something else is at work here, the most likely, of course, being the propensity or need that people have of fitting shattering world events such as we have just witnessed into a framework that offers some level of understanding or control or guiding principle, be it mystical, religious, or political.
And, of course, the flexibly vague nature of the quatrain or prognost caters for this very well. For example, from the Book of Ezekiel, which some believe contains references to signs of the End (for instance, the re-Establishment of Israel in 1947; or ‘walls of untempered mortar’ related to the supposedly powerful and secure modern-times defense organisations such the League of Nations and NATO (and now the US military/CIA/NSA/FBI?), I quickly picked out the following (King James version) extract:

13:10 Because, even because they have seduced my people, saying,
Peace; and there was no peace; and one built up a wall, and, lo,
others daubed it with untempered morter: 13:11 Say unto them which
daub it with untempered morter, that it shall fall: there shall be an
overflowing shower; and ye, O great hailstones, shall fall; and a
stormy wind shall rend it.

A wall... Wall Street? Untempered mortar… The structurally weak ‘boxes’ of the WTC? Falling in an overflowing shower… Isn’t that an apt description of what we witnessed yesterday?
See, it’s easy…
However, as some would argue, the fact that all the seeming signs of the End Times throughout the ages have petered out unfulfilled (from the Roman Empire, through the plagues of the Middle Ages, to WWI and WWII, and most recently, the Gulf war), simply means that the Final Conflict - Armageddon, if you will - has not yet arrived. And who, despite the lessons of history, can seriously dispute this as a possibility? Many - including many Forteans - might scoff at the idea, but an awful lot of other people hold this as reliable & true scriptural forecast. And if there ever is going to be a world-engulfing Day of Reckoning, whether by human folly or natural disaster (comet/asteroid), one day they’re going to be right. Right?
In the current climate of uncertainty after the terrotist attacks and the USA’s awaited response and its potential consequences, it’s understandable that people are thinking in such ominous, apocalyptic or ideological terms – even, to an extent, our national leaders who, at times like this, are as human and shakeable and fallible as the rest of us. We can only hope that level-headedness and good sense prevail at the top, and that the anticlimactic historical trend repeats itself, and this crisis passes us by like every one before.

A question - Did the people who did what they did on tuesday know about the prophocy?

You never know that some of what he wrote has become true because some people read it and decided to something.

Ok I am starting to think up way to many questions about this now.

lucydru

I rather suspect that the only prophecy that will turn out to have any pertinence amidst all this horror will be Bin Laden's declaration, three weeks ago, that there would be 'unprecedented' attacks on the US.

Snopes - as usual - have the authoratative account of the whole shebang.

I agree with Lucy on this one, people who want to commit some major disaster can easily make it seem like a prophecy coming true.

As for Nostra..... his writings are pretty vague in their original form, a lot of these so called "translators" used a lot of artistic licence in their attempts to decipher an albeit indecipherable bit of hokum.

But that's just my opinion.

The revelations of the bible could hold just as much pertinance in these kind of situations.

One other problem with the prophecy quoted by Carps, or at least half of it, is that it appears to have been written by a student 5 years ago as an example of how easy it is to attribute ambiguous predictions to real events once they have happened.

See:

http://fury.com/article/925.php

Originally posted by lucydru
A question - Did the people who did what they did on tuesday know about the prophocy?

You never know that some of what he wrote has become true because some people read it and decided to something.

Maybe. But it seems more likely they knew about a different event which may have significance for the date of the incident, as mentioned on the news last night. 30 years ago four airliners were hijacked by the PFLP, three of which were taken to Jordan and blown up on 12 September 1970. 'Black September' has even more sombre connotations in 2001. Interestingly, apart from that TV reference, there's been no other mention of this 'connection' - that I've seen, at least...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/in_depth/uk/2000/uk_confidential/newsid_1089000/1089694.stm

Actually, there's also this by Naitaka on the hmm 9-11 terrorist bombing thread, which may be the simple and only reason for the choice of that date:

'Alas, September 11 is also UN International Day of Peace.'

This is taken from a newspaper article I read yesterday and I just wandered what you all thought about it.

Prophet of disaster Nostradamus may have predicted the New York five centuries ago it was suggested yesterday.
The french thinker credited with fortelling the great fire of London and the rise of Napoleon and Hitler wrote this verse in the 16th century:
At forty five degrees the sky will burn. Fire approaches the great new city........
Garden of the world near the new city. In the path of the hollow mountains. It will be seized and plunged into vat.

Academic John Hogue who has translated Nostradamus for twenty years said he has always taken hollow mountains to mean skyscrapers.
He said "The refrence to forty five degrees may well refer to New York as it is close to the 45 degree parallel.
"The garden of the world could refer to New Jersey known as the garden state."

Nostradamus predictions are pant's when anything happens in the world everyone goes running for their predictions book!
There so open for interpretation for example.........Nostradamus prediction for WW2 "the hister will rise up and sweep across europe"Surely he meant hitler????? or more realistically the eastern european name for the danube

:D :D :D :D :D

Guess most other Forteans have been mesmerised and horrified by the events in New York - I was depressed to see that old fraud Nostrodamus trotted out in the tabloids, claiming to have "foretold with uncanny accuracy" the attacks.

Can we all agree to stamp on this whenever we hear it in the next few weeks, there will be enough conspiracy theories alive and kicking without invoking such a corrupt source.

There was a news story posted here on the day after that dispelled that. It is bizarre to think that the quote I have been sent a couple of times only takes two lines from Nostradamus (both mistranslated) and the rest is from a paper on how easy it is to make something that sounds like Nostradamus, or totally made up.

Corrected wrong link in last post. Sorry 'bout that!;)

sureshot

Nostra-bloody-damus

It's Roy Deffrayeur (Dafrayer King), not Roy d'Effrayeur (King of Terror)

Back