• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Not As Environmentally Friendly As Promised

Tesla ranks almost dead-last on Consumer Reports reliability list

The electric car manufacturer now ranks 27th out of 28 car brands on Consumer Reports’ list, above only Ford-owned legacy luxury brand Lincoln. Much of it has to do with the overall instability of electric vehicles in general — especially SUVs — which Consumer Reports’ Jake Fisher said during a presentation are the “absolute bottom in terms of reliability.

1200x0.jpg

A Tesla Model Y electric vehicle stands at the construction site of the Tesla Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg. Picture Alliance/DPA via Getty Images

Among the concerns Consumer Reports had for the Tesla Model S, X and Y lines, according to CNBC, were issues with “heat pumps, air conditioning” and notoriously, misaligned panels.

It’s also worth noting that Tesla’s Model X ranked dead-last among all cars for reliability, scoring a 5 out of 100.

https://www.sfgate.com/tech/article/Tesla-ranks-almost-dead-last-Consumer-Reports-16632996.php

maximus otter

Last edited:
We see loads of Teslas round here - the local farm shop, which re-invented itself as a destination for the chattering middle classes, installed Tesla charging points, so plenty of tourists detour to charge up on their way to their second homes in Cornwall.

Tesla drivers left unable to start their cars after outage.
Tesla drivers say they have been locked out of their cars after an outage struck the carmaker's app.
Dozens of owners posted on social media about seeing an error message on the mobile app that was preventing them from connecting to their vehicles.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59357306

A lot of families round my way are 2, 3 and sometimes even 4 car families.
I'm trying to imagine the future when all these vehicles are electric and need charging at night, and the mess of cables that will be draped across the pavement, and that's assuming that people can actually find a parking spot outside their own home.

A lot of families round my way are 2, 3 and sometimes even 4 car families.
I'm trying to imagine the future when all these vehicles are electric and need charging at night, and the mess of cables that will be draped across the pavement, and that's assuming that people can actually find a parking spot outside their own home.
Yes. Utter chaos.

I have greater expectations for biofuel ultra low emission cars than electric ones.

I think electric ones are an intermediate measure.

I have greater expectations for biofuel ultra low emission cars than electric ones.

I think electric ones are an intermediate measure.
Biofuel requires the use of farmland to grow crops that will then be processed into biodiesel.
This is at a time when viable farmland is at a premium. Every bit is needed for food crops.
Does this mean that we will cut down forests to create new farmland?

Read in the paper today that "scientists" have created a way of making environmentally friendly petrol molecules from glucose. There's progress being made every day.

@Mythopoeika

Farmland is a premium, but Biofuel can be a mixture - of existing food waste, of waste products from the brewing and manufacturing industries, and lab created substances.

Last edited:
Are these people nuts? Surely it'd be much easier to just drill a hole in the ground and pipe out the stuff underneath our feet?
Okay it would probably need refining somewhat but the same process that is being used 'topside' to turn stuff into fuels has already been done for us on a massive scale, by natural processes, over hundreds of thousands of years.
Maybe they could put some research into that instead?

Do we think the turn to electric cars is to get away from the people who control the petrol as much as to be so called green? Like trains turning away from coal to take the power from the coal mines.

The glucose into petrol thing is meant as an alternative to ethanol. It can be a good idea, if we use waste to make it rather than grow crops for it.

Do we think the turn to electric cars is to get away from the people who control the petrol as much as to be so called green? Like trains turning away from coal to take the power from the coal mines.
Yes, there's a big element of that involved.

Observe; an upmarket street.

No one would fuss if it was a little more working class

And see all those cars parked in the street in the background?
Wind forward 10 years and imagine the mess of cables that would also be present, or the parking issues as people try to get their vehicles as close to their home as possible.
I'm not saying I'm against electric cars, but I don't think it has been thought through fully.

"It’s been revealed that the government’s green homes grant scheme – which cost £314 million to install heat pumps and solar panels – has fallen dramatically short of its targets, upgrading just over 47,000 houses out of the 600,000 as planned, and somehow flushing away £50 million of taxpayers’ cash on admin alone. Probably explaining why the whole scheme was scrapped after just 6 months.

According to the Public Accounts Committee, the “poorly designed” and riddled with inefficiencies scheme, with roughly £1000 spent per home exclusively on administration costs, and massively underdelivering on the promised job opportunities:

“delivered a small fraction of its objectives, either in environmental benefits or the promised new jobs”

...the scheme was scrapped before they managed to spend the full £1.5billion as originally planned."

https://order-order.com/2021/12/01/...-million-on-now-cancelled-green-homes-scheme/

maximus otter

I was reading something yesterday about the supply of Lithium now being a bit tight, plus the cost increasing.

Back