• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Not As Environmentally Friendly As Promised

Tesla owner blows up Model S instead of footing $22,600 repair bill

When faced with a repair bill that costs half of what you paid for your car, do you go through with the expensive repair, bring it to the junkyard, or sell it for parts? Finnish Tesla owner Tuomas Katainen decided to do something a little more extreme — but arguably a lot more satisfying — when faced with such a situation: he watched his car go up in flames.

Katainen handed his 2013 Tesla Model S over to Pommijätkät, a group of explosion experts on YouTube who loves to make things go “boom,” after he was quoted $22,600 for a battery replacement. “Well when I bought that Tesla, the first 1,500km [932 miles] were nice,” Katainen recounted. “Then, error codes hit.” After Katainen brought his Tesla to a mechanic, he found out that the only way to fix the car would be to replace the entire battery pack, which would cost him at least 20,000€,

Pommijätkät strapped 30kg (66 pounds) of dynamite to the car and parked it in an old quarry in Jaala, Finland. Even Elon Musk was there — well, at least in spirit. A crash test dummy outfitted with a helmet, thick winter jacket, and a picture of Musk’s face was dropped in by helicopter and then stuffed in the driver’s seat.

Katainen triggers the explosion from inside a nearby bunker, and Tesla erupts in a ball of fire, with what seems like thousands of pieces scattering throughout the snowy landscape. The group picks up whatever was left of the car, which amounts to just a pile of scraps. When asked whether he’s ever had this much fun behind the wheel of a Tesla, Katainen replies, “No, never enjoyed this much with Tesla!”

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/26/22853573/tesla-model-s-explosion-repair-bill

maximus otter

It totally fits this thread though because (I think I read it here somewhere) that due to the pollution caused in the manufacture of battery electric vehicles, they need to be driven quite a bit, over a period of something like 9(?) years before they cancel out their 'carbon footprint', but by which time they are, lets say, 'past their best'.

Oh dear. Having second thoughts are we?

Plans in England for car chargers in all commercial car parks quietly rolled back​

Only new or refurbished commercial buildings should install charge points, the DfT says, citing fears over cost

The government has quietly backtracked on proposals to require every shop, office or factory in England to install at least one electric car charger if they have a large car park, prompting criticism by environmental campaigners.

The original plan required every new and existing non-residential building with parking for 20 cars or more to install a charger. However, the Department for Transport (DfT) has now revealed it will only require chargers be installed in new or refurbished commercial premises amid fears over the cost for businesses, according to a response to a consultation.

The move has prompted concern in the car industry and among experts that public charger access will lag behind demand, as sales of electric vehicles accelerate ahead of the 2035 ban on sales of new fossil-fuelled internal combustion engines. A quarter of new cars bought in the UK in November can be plugged in to recharge, according to industry data.
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-all-commercial-car-parks-quietly-rolled-back

I’m reluctant to take advice on austere green living unless it’s from someone who’s lived off grid in a remote location without a laptop, phone, a car or other modern devices for about five years.
I’d have a bit more respect if they engaged in a daily battle with puffins over a handful of sand eels. Unfortunately, they just come across as a bunch of envious or privileged hypocritical wankers usually exposed when someone digs a little into their preachy lives.

From June.
Concerns that during a heatwave that the power supply networks could not cope with demand and encouraged residents to use 'power hungry' appliances such as 'washing machines and tumble dryers' at night, and to charge their vehicles outside of 'peak' hours.

California, Facing Power Crisis, Frets Over Electric Car Charging Routines

https://www.newsweek.com/california...s-over-electric-car-charging-routines-1602755

Tesla recalls nearly half a million cars after rearview camera and trunk issues ‘increase risk of crashing’

The car brand wants to recall 475,000 of its Model 3 and Model S electric vehicles in the US.

X-Tesla.jpeg

Musk's car brand is recalling the cars to fix issues with their rearview cameras and trunks.

According to the U.S. road safety regulator, the problems increase the risk of crashing.

Tesla is recalling 356,309 2017-2020 Model 3 vehicles.

It also needs to fix 119,009 Model S vehicles.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said that the issue with the Model 3 sedans is that "the rearview camera cable harness may be damaged by the opening and closing of the trunk lid, preventing the rearview camera image from displaying".

The recalled Model S vehicles are said to have a front hood latch problem that could lead to the trunk opening without warning.

https://www.the-sun.com/tech/4364415/tesla-recalls-cars-safety-issues/

maximus otter

Last edited by a moderator:

Tesla recalls nearly half a million cars after rearview camera and trunk issues ‘increase risk of crashing’

The car brand wants to recall 475,000 of its Model 3 and Model S electric vehicles in the US.

Musk's car brand is recalling the cars to fix issues with their rearview cameras and trunks.

According to the U.S. road safety regulator, the problems increase the risk of crashing.

Tesla is recalling 356,309 2017-2020 Model 3 vehicles.

It also needs to fix 119,009 Model S vehicles.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said that the issue with the Model 3 sedans is that "the rearview camera cable harness may be damaged by the opening and closing of the trunk lid, preventing the rearview camera image from displaying".

The recalled Model S vehicles are said to have a front hood latch problem that could lead to the trunk opening without warning.

https://www.the-sun.com/tech/4364415/tesla-recalls-cars-safety-issues/

maximus otter
They sound like fun. How does the bonnet/hood control the latch on the boot/trunk? If the rear view camera isn’t working couldn’t they just reverse by looking like all the millions of us that don’t have a camera or is that too much to ask?

They sound like fun. How does the bonnet/hood control the latch on the boot/trunk? If the rear view camera isn’t working couldn’t they just reverse by looking like all the millions of us that don’t have a camera or is that too much to ask?

"The Tesla Model 3 UK price is from £42,990. Here are the costs of the three models:

• Base model: from £42,990
  • Long Range: from £49,990
  • Performance: from £59,990..."
https://electriccarhome.co.uk/electric-cars/tesla-model-3/

People who can afford to drive these glossy virtue signals have other people to look over their shoulders for them.

maximus otter

From June.
Concerns that during a heatwave that the power supply networks could not cope with demand and encouraged residents to use 'power hungry' appliances such as 'washing machines and tumble dryers' at night, and to charge their vehicles outside of 'peak' hours.

California, Facing Power Crisis, Frets Over Electric Car Charging Routines

https://www.newsweek.com/california...s-over-electric-car-charging-routines-1602755
When everyone has to have electric cars, the peak hours will flip to evenings when we’re all charging them at once.

Yes, people have reversed that way for over a hundred years and only occaisionally hit things.
I do have reversing sensors but they’re not awfully trustworthy. ‘Yeah your fine, yeah you’re fine. Oh shit of should have said stop’ but with beeps. They also sometimes get excited by rain!

When everyone has to have electric cars, the peak hours will flip to evenings when we’re all charging them at once.
Occasionally, the lights will dim or even go out.
Until somebody gets their finger out and starts building more nuclear power plants.

Meat eaters should not pick on my jetsetting lifestyle, says eco-warrior Michaela Strachan

BBC star says critics must stop attacking her for regularly flying between South Africa and Britain for work because she is a vegetarian.

X-iu.jpeg

Strachan, who now lives in South Africa with her son and long-term partner, said: “People are so quick to point out people’s negatives without supporting their positives.

“We’ve got solar panels [in our home]. I don’t drive an electric car because South Africa has an electricity crisis, but I have a Fiat 500 that’s particularly good on fuel.

“I do not buy bottled water unless it’s absolutely desperate, and I’ve been vegetarian since I was 18. Anyone that eats meat, don’t criticise me for flying.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...t-pick-jetsetting-lifestyle-says-eco-warrior/

maximus otter

Meat eaters should not pick on my jetsetting lifestyle, says eco-warrior Michaela Strachan

BBC star says critics must stop attacking her for regularly flying between South Africa and Britain for work because she is a vegetarian.

Strachan, who now lives in South Africa with her son and long-term partner, said: “People are so quick to point out people’s negatives without supporting their positives.

“We’ve got solar panels [in our home]. I don’t drive an electric car because South Africa has an electricity crisis, but I have a Fiat 500 that’s particularly good on fuel.

“I do not buy bottled water unless it’s absolutely desperate, and I’ve been vegetarian since I was 18. Anyone that eats meat, don’t criticise me for flying.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...t-pick-jetsetting-lifestyle-says-eco-warrior/

maximus otter
Veggies get a free pass?

The batteries are in a sandwich layer underneath the main floor of the vehicle which keeps the 'centre of gravity' low, the motors on the wheels themselves, and the 'ancillary equipment' is tucked away just inbetween the dashboard and the front trunk.

maximus otter
Never heard of her. But she does look like the sort of vegetarian that you'd want to force feed some bacon to.

I'm feeling really snipey today. Best go out shortly and get some booze. Like Sam Vimes, I seem to live about two pints of decent beer on the knurd side of sober.

maximus otter

‘Chuck another tyre on the fire. I bought an avocado this morning so we can afford it.’

The EU have decided on a cunning way to achieve fulfilment of their 'green' promises.
Just rename some Gas and Nuclear power stations as 'green'.
Problem sorted.

"It is necessary to recognise that the fossil gas and nuclear energy sectors can contribute to the decarbonisation of the Union's economy," the Commission's proposal says.
Under the proposal, only gas and nuclear plants with the highest standards would be considered green. Nuclear plants would also have to have strict waste disposal plans, Deutsche Welle reports. While gas plants would have a limit of how much carbon dioxide is released per kilowatt-hour of energy produced.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59850093

The EU have decided on a cunning way to achieve fulfilment of their 'green' promises.
Just rename some Gas and Nuclear power stations as 'green'.
Problem sorted.

"It is necessary to recognise that the fossil gas and nuclear energy sectors can contribute to the decarbonisation of the Union's economy," the Commission's proposal says.
Under the proposal, only gas and nuclear plants with the highest standards would be considered green. Nuclear plants would also have to have strict waste disposal plans, Deutsche Welle reports. While gas plants would have a limit of how much carbon dioxide is released per kilowatt-hour of energy produced.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59850093

Bit like a Baldrick cunning plan.

Mods, it's probably time to lock this thread - if there was ever any Fortean value to it, it's been lost long since. Now it's just another two-minute-hate thread.

Back