• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Not As Environmentally Friendly As Promised

I'm guessing this is not so much "not as environmentally friendly..." but more "F**k the environment!"
Gotta keep the lights on though, and if the wind aint blowing......

Wind farm in Germany is being dismantled to expand coal mine
A wind farm in Germany is being dismantled to expand the Garzweiler lignite mine. One of eight turbines installed at the location in 2001 has already been removed.

https://balkangreenenergynews.com/wind-farm-in-germany-is-being-dismantled-to-expand-coal-mine/

1667133401052.png

The second (which comes from a vid A.L. posted some months ago) relates to how the multi-millionaire footballer Marcus Rashford was keen to virtue-signal with regards to school meals, which basically involved him turning up for a few photo shoots and getting on TV, but then went on to fail to score from a penalty in some football tournament (I think the euro cup thing) which is the thing he is supposed to be good at.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'his hobby'? Andrew Lawrence has been a top comedian for many years;
That’s more than a little uncharitable. He stuck his head above the parapet when he really didn’t have to as a multi-millionaire beyond any financial worries of his own. He was bothered about poorer children, which he once was. His campaigning shamed the government into doing a U turn on free school meals during summer holiday 2020.

Following Rashford’s campaign, and his ability to galvanise public opinion, on June 16th 2020, the government announced plans for a Covid Summer Food Fund for children who usually receive benefits-related free school meals.

Continuing his campaign around child hunger, in September 2020 Rashford convened a taskforce comprised of a number of supermarkets, and the charities Fareshare and the Food Foundation. The taskforce called for the expansion of free to school meals to every child from a household on universal credit; expanding the existing school holiday food programme; and increasing the value of Healthy Start voucher scheme aimed at certain parents with children under four.

Following criticism from some in the media that Rashford should keep out of politics and concentrate on football, the Manchester United player wrote an article for the right leaning Spectator magazine in September 2021. In the article, Rashford wrote, “With a shared focus, people from different cultures, nationalities, races, sexual orientations, political affiliations and religions can unite to achieve incredible things”.
Continuing Rashford wrote that he would, “be doing [my] community and my family a disservice if I did not use my platform to speak on behalf of the millions whose voices are not being heard”. He added: “Disappointingly for some, the ‘stick to football’ advice doesn’t cut it where I’m from. See, when my community had nothing to call their own, they always found something in the way of kindness to give me.”

Following the success of his first campaign around child poverty, there is little sign that Rashford is stopping. He has released a BBC documentary around his food poverty campaign, which featured both his mum, and him receiving a call on his mobile from the Prime Minister shortly after a game.

Rashford has recently partnered with publisher Macmillan to promote reading for disadvantaged children. Marcus is penning his own book as part of the project entitled, ‘You are a Champion: Unlock your potential, find your voice and be the best you can be’.

Commenting on his continued political activism, Rashford has said, ‘We all have a responsibility to protect our vulnerable as it could be any one of us – if 2020 has taught us anything it should be that’.

Indeed during the course of his 2020 expedition into the field of British politics, this unelected footballer, can be said to have exerted more influence on policy, than many MPs might do in the totality of a twenty year backbench career at Westminster.

That’s a little more than virtue signalling..

That’s more than a little uncharitable. He stuck his head above the parapet when he really didn’t have to as a multi-millionaire beyond any financial worries of his own. He was bothered about poorer children, which he once was. His campaigning shamed the government into doing a U turn on free school meals during summer holiday 2020.

I wondered how much of his own money he donated and found this:

So I still don't know given the strange way it is calculated! He's probably doing more than a lot of people who are IMO vastly overpaid for kicking a bit of plastic about.

125% of his wealth? Yeah that is a strange calculation. It suggests he gave away all his money, and then also went and got another 1/4 of that amount from somewhere else too. Beats me.
Yeah okay, I'll give you that.

"I retract the comment, m'lud".

Doesn't stop me thinking though that there is still the whiff of self-promotion about it to some extent, even though he appears to have achieved quite a lot of co-operation thanks to his position of popularity, I'm sure he could have done it somehow slightly more anonymously.
We seem to have diverged significantly from the thread title though.

Last edited:
It's not that complicated. If the calculation was based on annual income - which it seems to be - then he gave away all that financial year's income, plus another 25% of that figure from previously accrued assets/savings etc. Simple.

Apologies, I thought the link would go through to the thread where later it says.

"The calculation was based on how much he raised through fundraising in comparison to his wealth. So this ranking is "calculated by ranking the amount donated or raised relative to a person's overall wealth"."

So we don't know how much was actually donated, as it could mean he raised 125% of his earnings none of which he donated himself, or that he donated a considerable sum but it looks as if he gave away 125% of his annual earnings!

Rather off topic but a way in which something may be made to look very different from the actuality!

Apologies again and now :botp:

Yeah okay, I'll give you that.

"I retract the comment, m'lud".

Doesn't stop me thinking though that there is still the whiff of self-promotion about it to some extent, even though he appears to have achieved quite a lot of co-operation thanks to his position of popularity, I'm sure he could have done it somehow slightly more anonymously.
We seem to have diverged significantly from the thread title though.
OK - you’ve now shifted from virtue signalling to seeing the whiff of self-promotion.

Marcus Rashford has 5.8 million followers on twitter & close to 13 million on instagram. I doubt whether he campaigned in order to get yet more self-promotion. And if he’d done it anonymously they wouldn’t have been nearly as successful.

Imo he deserves a lot of credit for his campaigning rather than sniping.

This was from the COP26 last year.
It will be the same this year, but to Egypt instead.
Oh and add on all the other people travelling there for it by commercial transport too.
1667826518370.png

With the increase in EV ownership we are getting an equal increase in the number of faulty battery vehicle fires.

Dramatic Recent Increase in U.K. Electric Vehicle Battery Explosions And Fires
" (...) There was a sharp rise last year, particularly in London where fires jumped from 32 in 2020 to 102 in 2021 and already 98 recorded in the first half of this year."
"EV sales have been soaring in the U.K. of late. But the ‘green’ credentials of EVs are a far cry from their popular portrayal, and safety concerns in the future about their batteries are only likely to increase."

https://dailysceptic.org/2022/11/08...lectric-vehicle-battery-explosions-and-fires/

With the increase in EV ownership we are getting an equal increase in the number of faulty battery vehicle fires.

Dramatic Recent Increase in U.K. Electric Vehicle Battery Explosions And Fires
" (...) There was a sharp rise last year, particularly in London where fires jumped from 32 in 2020 to 102 in 2021 and already 98 recorded in the first half of this year."
"EV sales have been soaring in the U.K. of late. But the ‘green’ credentials of EVs are a far cry from their popular portrayal, and safety concerns in the future about their batteries are only likely to increase."

https://dailysceptic.org/2022/11/08...lectric-vehicle-battery-explosions-and-fires/
And the fires are a lot harder to put out. But let’s all get electric cars.

Thing is, the more electric vehicles that are in use then there's more incentive to refine and develop. This is the same factor in demand for charging points. The higher the demand, the greater pressure to install more and, therefore, encourage others to purchase.
And of course the incidents of battery fires will increase with the increase in ev users.
If something has a 1 in 10 chance of happening, then if there's 20 it happens 2 times, 30 it happens 3 times.
It's not increasing unusually. And, frankly, the more ev's are used, the more pressure is applied to the producers to do something about it.

the more electric vehicles that are in use then there's more incentive to refine and develop.
No I don't agree with that premise.
They will just keep producing them in the same manner as long as people buy them. Once popularity drops off it'll be cosmetic updates to keep them modern. The same as with all cars.
The better technology only gets built in once new models are being designed, and even then only if budgetary constraints allow for it.

Look at (eg) 'toasters'. There are billions of them in use all around the world I'll wager. They've pretty much been the same for years, and people still buy them, even though the dial allows for two settings (despite having 6 numbers), 'white but hot and dry' and 'burnt'. And also the top inch of a slice of bread sticks out because when they were first designed the bread slices were smaller and they never bothered changing the design.

A long, detailed and thought-provoking article in Spectator here, which is well worth reading the whole thing (I copy a short paragraph below).
'Food for thought' indeed.

If we are going to get anywhere near de-carbonising the electricity grid, we will have to invest in energy storage, at huge cost.
At present we have the capacity to store less than an hour’s worth of the country’s electricity demand, yet in winter conditions can be both windless and overcast for days at a time.
The grid was built to transport electricity generated in coal plants close to where it was consumed.
Wind and solar farms tend to be distributed in more remote locations, by contrast, so the grid itself will have to be reconfigured, again at huge cost.
We are also going to need a massive increase in overall generation capacity as road vehicles and central heating systems are forced to switch to electric power.
A switch to renewable energy will be very far from cheap.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-true-cost-of-renewable-energy/

A long, detailed and thought-provoking article in Spectator here, which is well worth reading the whole thing (I copy a short paragraph below).
'Food for thought' indeed.

If we are going to get anywhere near de-carbonising the electricity grid, we will have to invest in energy storage, at huge cost.
At present we have the capacity to store less than an hour’s worth of the country’s electricity demand, yet in winter conditions can be both windless and overcast for days at a time.
The grid was built to transport electricity generated in coal plants close to where it was consumed.
Wind and solar farms tend to be distributed in more remote locations, by contrast, so the grid itself will have to be reconfigured, again at huge cost.
We are also going to need a massive increase in overall generation capacity as road vehicles and central heating systems are forced to switch to electric power.
A switch to renewable energy will be very far from cheap.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-true-cost-of-renewable-energy/
Nothing there that wasn't glaringly obvious 15 years ago tbh, at least to anyone even slightly numerate.

Electric car owners will now have to pay road tax

Electric car owners will have to pay road tax for the first time, as part of ‘eye-watering’ Budget plans designed to fill a £54 billion hole in the public finances.

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt will use Thursday’s budget to change Treasury rules which mean emission-free cars and vans currently pay no vehicle excise duty.

Electric vehicles are exempt from both the annual £165 VED standard rate and the £335 ‘premium supplement’ levied on new cars costing more than £40,000.

The move is designed to plug a projected £7 billion shortfall in road tax as the switch to electric vehicles gathers pace.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ay-tax-time-bid-plug-7-billion-shortfall.html

maximus otter

Electric car owners will now have to pay road tax

Electric car owners will have to pay road tax for the first time, as part of ‘eye-watering’ Budget plans designed to fill a £54 billion hole in the public finances.

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt will use Thursday’s budget to change Treasury rules which mean emission-free cars and vans currently pay no vehicle excise duty.

Electric vehicles are exempt from both the annual £165 VED standard rate and the £335 ‘premium supplement’ levied on new cars costing more than £40,000.

The move is designed to plug a projected £7 billion shortfall in road tax as the switch to electric vehicles gathers pace.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ay-tax-time-bid-plug-7-billion-shortfall.html

maximus otter

That's shocking news.

Ford has stopped producing the Fiesta and Nissan the Micra. They are still selling their massive petrol cars. Shouldn’t we be encouraged to get small cars? Surely they are less damaging than the massive lumps.

Car manufacturers work years ahead and their crystal-ball-gazing would already be telling them that assuming things go the way we are being told they will, that petrol & diesel engines will be obsolete within the next decade.
Therefore there is no point in them continuing to pour money into developing platforms which can support those engines.
Much better instead to concentrate wholly on EVs, which can be packaged in any way they like really, as long as they have space for the batteries and accessories.
Most motor companies already have EVs in their range which can be developed further. A big company such as Ford will have already seen sales of their Fiesta beginning to tail off.

Car manufacturers work years ahead and their crystal-ball-gazing would already be telling them that assuming things go the way we are being told they will, that petrol & diesel engines will be obsolete within the next decade.
Therefore there is no point in them continuing to pour money into developing platforms which can support those engines.
Much better instead to concentrate wholly on EVs, which can be packaged in any way they like really, as long as they have space for the batteries and accessories.
Most motor companies already have EVs in their range which can be developed further. A big company such as Ford will have already seen sales of their Fiesta beginning to tail off.
Lack of sales isn’t always the reason the drop popular cars (though lord knows why). My mum has a Nissan Note which was an incredibly popular car that for some reason they decided to stop doing.

If I were in the market for a new car an EV would be too expensive. I bought my car second hand. A second hand EV would have a very expensive battery needing changing after not very long. Also I park on the road and has nowhere to charge it.

Back