• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Not As Environmentally Friendly As Promised

I see Flora are pushing their plant based spread claiming it’s better for the environment than butter. I do wonder though how far those ingredients travel compared to a British diary farm. I tried to look on their website but I lost the will to live. I want to know if it’s really better for the environment like they claim or if they are just jumping on the plant based bandwagon.
Ingredients: Plant oils (coconut, rapeseed, sunflower, in varying proportions), water, sea salt (1.7%), faba bean preparation, emulsifier (lecithin), natural flavourings, colour (carotenes).
Coconut has to be brought in from tropical climates. Sunflower may be from Eastern Europe.

Real butter, on the other hand, is all locally made. Cows just eat grass that happens to be growing in a field. Completely natural and (I suspect) lower carbon than the fake plant-based spread.

Ingredients: Plant oils (coconut, rapeseed, sunflower, in varying proportions), water, sea salt (1.7%), faba bean preparation, emulsifier (lecithin), natural flavourings, colour (carotenes).
Coconut has to be brought in from tropical climates. Sunflower may be from Eastern Europe.

Real butter, on the other hand, is all locally made. Cows just eat grass that happens to be growing in a field. Completely natural and (I suspect) lower carbon than the fake plant-based spread.
This is what I suspected.

We need some calories, so that's managed intake. The same can be said with fats. I'm no nutritionist but I think there are some fats that are broken down in the digestion faster (?) than the transfats/PHOs in marg.
Also it can be said that if something tastes better, you don't need so much of it to enjoy the meal.

What about the calories and fat content in butter though?
Most of the fats we eat just pass through undigested. Only a small amount gets absorbed.
Back in the days before margarine, people were thin - in spite of a very fatty diet. Yes, most people did a lot more manual labour, but that isn't a complete explanation of why people were thinner, I think.
Also... animal fats aren't as bad as we've been told. We've been lied to.

Most of the fats we eat just pass through undigested. Only a small amount gets absorbed.
Back in the days before margarine, people were thin - in spite of a very fatty diet. Yes, most people did a lot more manual labour, but that isn't a complete explanation of why people were thinner, I think.
Also... animal fats aren't as bad as we've been told. We've been lied to.
Sugar. That's the real b'stard.

The Van Tulliken (not sure if that is spelt correctly) twin doctors did an experiment for tv where one had sugar and one had fat and neither was any worse than the other. The problem came when they were combined. Aren’t the best foods a combination of both and therefore bad for you?

The Van Tulliken (not sure if that is spelt correctly) twin doctors did an experiment for tv where one had sugar and one had fat and neither was any worse than the other. The problem came when they were combined. Aren’t the best foods a combination of both and therefore bad for you?
Possibly! Anything that tastes good is probably bad for you.
Conversely, cabbage, cauliflower and other similarly horrible stuff is supposed to be good for you.

They’re not. If I have salad without any carbs I’m hungry five seconds later. Carbs givens you a store to run off.
Yeah but not if you have too much of them. Nobody want's a store that's too big.

California Dumps Nearly Half of Its Hazardous Waste out of State

California is revealing new information to the public that shows that the eco-friendly state is dumping tons of toxic waste in other states every year.

Since 2010, California has dumped nearly half of its hazardous waste out of state—mostly in Utah, Arizona, and Nevada—according to the state’s latest figures (pdf). Thirteen more states also have received California’s toxic waste but in much lower quantities.

In the past 13 years, the state has dumped 3.7 million tons of hazardous waste in Utah, more than 2.9 million tons in Arizona, and nearly 2.3 million tons in Nevada.

An investigation published by CalMatters in January found that one of the biggest out-of-state toxic waste dumpers was the state’s own Department of Toxic Substances Control.

The reason is that neighboring states don’t have as many environmental regulations for dumping hazardous waste, and it costs less.

Paywalled: https://www.theepochtimes.com/calif...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=digitalsub

Quoted here: https://instapundit.com/

maximus otter

Bloody carbs....coming round here and turning the bins over in the middle of the night!

Sorry no, not carbs....foxes...yes, foxes.
And foxes are pretty keen on carbs, well actually anything they can get their paws on.

Attachments

• IMG_0745.jpeg
    IMG_0745.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 16
How solar farms took over the California desert: ‘An oasis has become a dead sea’

...the desert isn’t quite as empty as it thought. It might look like a barren wilderness, but this stretch of the Mojave is a rich and fragile habitat for endangered species and home to thousand-year-old carbon-capturing woodlands, ancient Indigenous cultural sites – and hundreds of people’s homes.

5102.jpg

Residents have watched ruefully for years as solar plants crept over the horizon, bringing noise and pollution that’s eroding a way of life in their desert refuge.

“We feel like we’ve been sacrificed,” says Mark Carrington, who, like Sneddon, lives in the Lake Tamarisk resort, a community for over-55s near Desert Center, which is increasingly surrounded by solar farms. “We’re a senior community, and half of us now have breathing difficulties because of all the dust churned up by the construction. I moved here for the clean air, but some days I have to go outside wearing goggles. What was an oasis has become a little island in a dead solar sea.”

5221.jpg

Concerns have intensified following the recent news of a project, called Easley, that would see the panels come just 200 metres from their backyards. Residents claim that excessive water use by solar plants has contributed to the drying up of two local wells, while their property values have been hit hard, with several now struggling to sell their homes.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/21/solar-farms-energy-power-california-mojave-desert

maximus otter

Indeed, I remember that they were in paper up until they brought in the plastic wrapping in about 1977 (IIRC).
I would often accidentally manage to bite off a chunk of paper as well as chocbar.

Also 'Smarties' used to be in a cylindrical cardboard tube with a plastic lid that had a letter embossed on the inside. Then they changed the packs to (I think) a hexagonal section container, without a plastic lid any more.

Back